"Three Fins and a Nose Cone" goes LPR!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
If you have seen Scrap Daddy's 3FNC mini build you be aware of the existence of a BT-80 based LPR version of our MPR 3FNC. Scarp tested the 18mm version and I am going to test the 24mm version, as soon as I can find a decent flying field.
Much like the the 3" version the BT-80 version uses a plastic NC with the shoulder cut down to 2", to allow room for the recovery system. To save weight the decision was made to go with a straight nose-blow ejection system in the stead of the Blow-By ejection system.
More importantly, the Mini-3FNC is not a plain silver exploration/adventure ship, but is going to be a passenger carrying Spaceliner!
Look out TWA*, we gots' a spiffy paint job too.

Without further adieu, we present the Mini-3FNC with its new corporate paint job.

263FNC_2283_800x600.jpg

*Yes I know TWA is gone, it is a 50's/60's joke.
:neener:

Technicly TWA was acquired by American airlines in 2001.

And, that looks sweet!

Also, the designation of "LPR" Bothers me a wee bit

Last edited:
And, that looks sweet!

Oh noooes....
Not the LPR/MPR debate again!
:y:
Quick, someone distract Fred while we change the subject.

Yes, TWA was around for a while. What I was referring to are all the older Sci-Fi illustrations of futuristic spaceships that were adorned with TWA markings.
Such as...
ml1955.jpg

Oh noooes....
Not the LPR/MPR debate again!
:y:
Quick, someone distract Fred while we change the subject.

Yes, TWA was around for a while. What I was referring to are all the older Sci-Fi illustrations of futuristic spaceships that were adorned with TWA markings.
Such as...
ml1955.jpg

My definition of LPR has always been "to be able to fly on an Estes B6"

BTW, no love for American airlines?

Okay, now we need versions for other defunct airlines such as Republic, Braniff, Pan-Am, and the worst of them all, Eastern.
Eastern of the late 70's/early 80's made the recently defunct Northwurst seem like they had decent service. The ONLY thing good about Eastern was they had decent looking Stews back then, but then again ALL airlines had decent Stews anyway. No ugly Ro-Beest 200+ lb. behemoths with bad attitudes then.

So,educate me.Whats the difference between a Straight nose-blow ejection and a Blow-by ejection system? This I should know:confused2: Scotty Dog

So,educate me.Whats the difference between a Straight nose-blow ejection and a Blow-by ejection system? This I should know:confused2: Scotty Dog

Straight "nose blow" ejection is your standard "stuff in the barf and put a chute on top" technique. For the 3FNC, space was at such a premium I had to engineer a way to fly the larger 29mm motors and still fit a recovery system inside. We are talking about the volume of a PLM 3" NC and a 3" BT here with TTW fins.
So this is what I did....
I extended the MM tube to 11 inches so it reached WAY up inside the NC. It passes through a ported CR in the nose that the shock cord it bolted to. The parachute is folded flat and wrapped in a NOMEX blanket, this recovery burrito is then folded around the base of the motor tube. To save space the shock cord can be wrapped around the motor tube below the fore baffle/CR. At ejection the gasses are funneled up to the tip of the NC and channeled back through the ported CR, cooling the gasses and pressurizing the interior.
Clear as mud?
:blush:

WHHAAGGGG!!
Those paint jobs make my eyes bleed.....

Braniff called themselves the "Flying Colors".

I used to fly them often. I was booked on them when they went bust in 82(?). THey had gotten me to Europe and went bust before the return flight. It took a while to get home after that.

Straight "nose blow" ejection is your standard "stuff in the barf and put a chute on top" technique. For the 3FNC, space was at such a premium I had to engineer a way to fly the larger 29mm motors and still fit a recovery system inside. We are talking about the volume of a PLM 3" NC and a 3" BT here with TTW fins.
So this is what I did....
I extended the MM tube to 11 inches so it reached WAY up inside the NC. It passes through a ported CR in the nose that the shock cord it bolted to. The parachute is folded flat and wrapped in a NOMEX blanket, this recovery burrito is then folded around the base of the motor tube. To save space the shock cord can be wrapped around the motor tube below the fore baffle/CR. At ejection the gasses are funneled up to the tip of the NC and channeled back through the ported CR, cooling the gasses and pressurizing the interior.
Clear as mud?
:blush:
OK then. Now that I know you were making reference to a design in the 29mm .Didnt know about it.Thanks for the schooling. Scotty Dog

Braniff called themselves the "Flying Colors".

I used to fly them often. I was booked on them when they went bust in 82(?). THey had gotten me to Europe and went bust before the return flight. It took a while to get home after that.

"Flying Colors"?
More like Technicolor Yawn...
Or Vomit Rainbow...
*shiver*

Can't believe you got stranded in Europe! So you had to pay for a return flight and Braniff didn't offer to pick up even part of the tab?
WOOF

"Flying Colors"?
More like Technicolor Yawn...
Or Vomit Rainbow...
*shiver*

Can't believe you got stranded in Europe! So you had to pay for a return flight and Braniff didn't offer to pick up even part of the tab?
WOOF

Not quite. Other airlines honored the Braniff tickets subject to space availible. That was good of them. On the other hand, my Braniff ticket was first class and I had to come back in steerage.

That idiotic paint job would make almost any normal HUMAN have an eye-bleed. If I was the pilot of that particular craft I'd refuse to fly it due to CRUELTY TO ALUMINUM !!!!

I was so proud of my Pem-Tech complete LPR Fleet!

Space Ark Jr.: flying better than ever(and more interesting)

The Kraken: Fresh coat of paint and new canards, ready to fly!

Little Bucky Jones: New nosecone and paint refresh, ready to fly!

Screaming Green Meanie: Two coats of paint away from flying!

sigh.... complete fleet, almost ready for their upcoming picture day......

You know what this means Layne, I'm happily in for at least 1!

PS. HMS Bonestell - nosecone re-sanded, primed, painted. Main-wing reattached. Reapainted. Ready to climb into the sky again. Keep hoping for low wind on Sat and a brave LCO :)

I seriously dig your retro looking rockets. Promise me you'll keep them coming.:)

Soooo who has a kit or plans to the TWA 1955 Moonliner?

There is a really nice paper model out there that can be converted to LPR. One of the guys I used to fly with had one it was nice, never did get to see it fly though. couldn't find it with a quick Google check, I'll try to remember to see if it's in my favorites at home.

And, that looks sweet!

It should not LPR is awesome bud. Layne that rocket looks great but. Knocked that one out of the park for sure:)
Cheers
fred

Back