ASTRE Brings 2 Miracles!!!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapDaddy

Reaction score
Ok, so that Saturday launch brought 2 VERY important it events,

1) my dad caught intrest in rocketry, so I finally have a suporter in rocketry!
2) I got news that my GGFather made a full recovery!
SD
:woot:

Congratulations! I'm really glad to hear about your great-grandfather.

Scrap's father, Mr. Daddy, was really curious about the whole prep, launch and recovery process, and was keen to observe what we all did. He talked to everyone at the launch, and must have liked what he saw and heard. Having the support of a parent is a really great thing to have, especially for a young person like SD. I'm really pleased to see that you and dad are a team now, M.

Ok, so that Saturday launch brought 2 VERY important it events,

1) my dad caught intrest in rocketry, so I finally have a suporter in rocketry!
2) I got news that my GGFather made a full recovery!
SD
:woot:

Great news! Glad to hear it.

It was awesome, but I got bad sunburn, my French teacher always said I needed to get out more :D

anyway, I kinda need help chooseing a beginners kit for my dad, I was leaning between the Sky eagle, Alpha, avion, and superbird.
I am peticularly twords the sky eagle or the superbird because of their relitively low preformance.

I also made a personal pledge to visit my GGparents at least 5 times this summer.
SD

oh, and alex said that the next launch prolly wouldn't be til August, and this one would be at the Johnstown field, and to think we just learned how to get to Guilderland :roll:

Scrap's father, Mr. Daddy, was really curious about the whole prep, launch and recovery process, and was keen to observe what we all did. He talked to everyone at the launch, and must have liked what he saw and heard. Having the support of a parent is a really great thing to have, especially for a young person like SD. I'm really pleased to see that you and dad are a team now, M.

oh, that was rude of me, his name is Monty, my name is Monty Jr. , he was selfish when her named me :D

Do you want to let the public know about the whole Wombat vs 3FNC mini contrevercy? And the smacktalk that followed :D

SD
I know Layne would be awfully proud.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very good Father's Day weekend to be sure.

As for your dad's rocket. I love my Alpha III :blush:
I can fly that everytime I go out......
Besides he can build it on the morning and fly it in the afternoon

Glad to hear the good news!

For your dad's first kit. I might recommend an Estes Astron Alpha IV. because they look incredible!

oh, that was rude of me, his name is Monty, my name is Monty Jr. , he was selfish when her named me :D

Do you want to let the public know about the whole Wombat vs 3FNC mini contrevercy? And the smacktalk that followed :D

SD
I know Layne would be awfully proud.
Controversy? Smacktalk? :confused2: Are you talking about one of my rockets or about someone else's? :confused: To my knowledge you didn't have any conflict with anyone that day.

Aw, cmon, don't encorage him, he already talks enough smack! :y: After he razzed my (LPR contest) Infinity missle,
Scrapdaddy said:
I think that's disturbing

That's the hardest I've laughed in a while...

I'm keepin an eye on him! :dark:......:p

The "Astron" designation was one that Vern Estes gave to most of the kits that were developed when he ran the company. So every Estes kit (save one) with "Astron" in its name made its debut in the Vern Estes, pre-Damon era. IOW, the Estes kits that were produced in the 1960s, starting with K-1, the Astron Scout. Estes Industries eliminated the name shortly after Damon bought the company. Estes-Cox revived it for one kit, the Astron Outlaw, part of the Launchables E2X Starter Set that was out a couple of years ago. (That set is now OOP.) Semroc recently introduced a kit called the Astron (KA-23).

Last edited:
Astron Alpha IV? :confused:

MARK?!?!?! You have never seen the alpha IV?
:jaw:

I'm bamboozled! Somebody get this man to my build thread STAT.

The Alpha IV was designed as an Estes 40th anniversary commemorative kit, Once I decided to build a 6x upscaled alpha, I figured, I might as well be original, so I got decals from Mark at stickershock to do just that.
scroll to post #5, quickly!

Might have to change my nick to "Old Daddy" here...

Just go with the Alpha III for your dad. It won't take more than a couple of hours (if that) of gluing and waiting for it to dry before it's ready for launch. No painting needed and decals are optional. Get him flying while he's still interested and then just let nature take its course.

Might have to change my nick to "Old Daddy" here...

Just go with the Alpha III for your dad. It won't take more than a couple of hours (if that) of gluing and waiting for it to dry before it's ready for launch. No painting needed and decals are optional. Get him flying while he's still interested and then just let nature take its course.

The alpha IV is actually an E2X model as well. Just glue and go!

Haven't actually seen the Alpha IV in the flesh but will take your word for it being a good starter kit.

Just looked the Alpha IV up on google...Looks like it's got that weird reflective body tube wrap. Was I the only one whose Blue Ninja kept unwrapping itself?

Haven't actually seen the Alpha IV in the flesh but will take your word for it being a good starter kit.

Just looked the Alpha IV up on google...Looks like it's got that weird reflective body tube wrap. Was I the only one whose Blue Ninja kept unwrapping itself?

I never had a blue ninja, but I do think the simplicity of the Alpha III or IV are a good place to start. Regardless of weather or not the decal peels off. I don't actually own the original kit, but I do have the decals to make a 6 inch diameter 6 foot tall upscale!

Yeah, right. The Estes Alpha IV was produced for one year only in 1998, six years before I started back up in the hobby. It was produced to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Estes Industries. No, I have never seen one. Unless they happened to have been in the right place at the right time twelve years ago, I doubt that anyone else saw them, either.

Last edited:
Yeah, right. The Estes Alpha IV was produced for one year only in 1998, six years before I started back up in the hobby. It was produced to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Estes Industries. No, I have never seen one. Unless they happened to have been in the right place at the right time twelve years ago, I doubt that anyone else saw them, either.

They are still available on amazon if you really want one. Or you could just build one like My dad and I are ;)

Back