My new scratcher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the park and launched Blood Sucker today, so I could enter it in the monthly contest. First flight was on a C11-3. It was a little squirrely off the pad, but landed a couple of yards away. Thrustcurve said 154 ft, but I'm not sure it got all of that. But still, a successful first flight.

[YOUTUBE]iAz1-3Qnskw[/YOUTUBE]

Attachments

• 01_pad.jpg
    01_pad.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 10_launch.jpg
    10_launch.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 11_launch.jpg
    11_launch.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 14_chute.jpg
    14_chute.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 15_landed.jpg
    15_landed.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 11
Second flight was on a D12-3. Much better than the C11. Thrustcurve said 360 ft, and I think it got pretty close. It landed in the parking lot, but besides a few paint chips, suffered no damage. It's a fun flier!

[YOUTUBE]vXeoiXBsHrY[/YOUTUBE]

21_launch.jpg

22_launch.jpg

25_chute.jpg

27_chute.jpg

30_landed.jpg

Great videos of a nice fyling rocket. Thanks for sharing.

The epoxy putty nose weight came loose, so using O1d Dude's suggestion, I decided to fill the nose cone with expanding foam. Does that stuff ever stop expanding?

98_foam.jpg

99_foam.jpg

100_foam.jpg

I think you're supposed to do more than one pour. That way you can better estimate how much you'll need.

Just trim the excess and all will be good.

I masked the Sucker and painted the fins red. Turned out pretty good. While my patience is getting better, I should have waited another day. The tape pulled off one tiny chip. It's no big deal, but it could have been a lot worse. Lesson learned.
Perhaps I'm a heretic, but I've been using the green Frog Tape and pulling it off while the paint is still wet. If you plan the application with the idea of removing it firmly in mind, it's not all that hard to do. The wet paint tends to self-heal very slight imperfections, and I try hard to avoid any imperfections bigger than "very slight."

Solomoriah said:
Perhaps I'm a heretic, but I've been using the green Frog Tape and pulling it off while the paint is still wet. If you plan the application with the idea of removing it firmly in mind, it's not all that hard to do. The wet paint tends to self-heal very slight imperfections, and I try hard to avoid any imperfections bigger than "very slight."

Exactly right.

I always remove the tape while the paint is still wet.

I launched Blood Sucker again at the SARG launch yesterday, on an E9-6. A great flight!

[YOUTUBE]FhfeQ9uHw1U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]f2-b3cig75s[/YOUTUBE]

P1010194.JPG

P1080473.JPG

P1080481.JPG

P1080485.JPG

I launched Blood Sucker again yesterday at the SARG launch, on an E9-6. Great flight!

[YOUTUBE]Fuk2FTWP5RQ[/YOUTUBE]

IMGP9727edit.jpg

IMGP9729edit.jpg

IMGP9744edit.jpg

IMGP9745edit.jpg

IMGP9748.JPG

I launched Blood Sucker at the LUNAR launch on Saturday, on a D12. It sure is a fun little flyer!

[YOUTUBE]mwZFuOvw-gc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]azA0pNHYhTI[/YOUTUBE]

IMGP9966edit.jpg

IMGP9969edit2.jpg

IMGP9976edit.jpg

IMGP9979.JPG

Latest posts

Back