Sputnik-esque Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Until very recently, I did not realize that "Sputniks" existed as anything but a ball with some spikes coming out of it. Then I found the Estes DOM plans for the Moonik-1. I had never been interested in these things before but this one captured my interest because of the ducted ejection. The build, maiden flight cato and the rebuild were all trials but they were made worthwhile with a successful flight.

What variations on the Sputnik theme have YOU built?

Attachments

• Moonik-f1a.jpg
    Moonik-f1a.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 21
  • Moonik-f1b.jpg
    Moonik-f1b.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Moonik-f1c.jpg
    Moonik-f1c.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Moonik-f1e.jpg
    Moonik-f1e.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Moonik-f1n.jpg
    Moonik-f1n.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 21
Great idea for a gallery! There was a flurry of ball-satellite (or globe rocket?) builds a few years ago to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the launch that kicked off the space age. You've already seen where I got with mine. I had (still have) plans to build the DOM Sputnik-Too as well. Maybe this will get me to go back and finish those projects now.

olive.jpg

Here's the Micro Slam Dunk. A MicroMaxx powered SLO made from a basketball themed shoe deodorizer.

scratch_slam_dunk_1.jpg

scratch_slam_dunk_3.jpg

scratch_slam_dunk_5.jpg

Sputniks are a lot of fun! Just as they are or with covers.

Here are a few different size Sputnik and Sputnik-esque subjects.
Original 4" styrofoam ball & dowel with ejectable streamer recovery 18mm motor pod.
1" Styrofoam ball Micro powered.
and 6" Plastic orniment & Candycane 24mm D12 powered Chute recovery Odd-Roc.

163a-sm_Sputnik Odd-Roc.jpg

163-b1-sm_Sputnik odd-roc liftoff_11-19-94.jpg

433-sm_CandyCandyBall_Odd-Roc_01-06-03.jpg

Here's my 4" diameter Sputnik made from a polystyrene foam ball and 4 bamboo BBQ skewers. It originally had a 24mm motor tube but after it's maiden flight on a D12 motor took it WAY out of sight, (over an hour to find it in a corn field) I modified it to fly on 18mm motors only. Flys great on C6 motors.

Sputnik on pad.jpg

Sputnik takes off.jpeg

Sputnik in tall grass.JPG

Back