Currell Graphics N-1 Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjnodice

Reaction score
Over the last couple weeks I have made some progress in building a cardstock N-1 Rocket from Currell Graphics. I am planning to build it to fly. I've converted a couple of cardstock models to flight and decided I was up for the challenge of this model.

The plans are split between Block A and the rest of the model. There are 10 pages required to build Block A alone. I have not yet printed the pages required for the rest of the model. I want to finish Block A first. At this rate, it is going to be a while before I complete this project! You can find the plans here:

N-1 plans by Currell Graphics

The plans print out at 1/144 =scale= on a standard printer. A 1/100th scale print would have required paper larger than 11x17! I REALLY wanted to build it 1/100 scale to go with my Estes Saturn V. Unfortunately, I was quoted over $2.00 per sheet by Staples and I couldn't justify spending ~$40.00 on printing a free card stock rocket. Therefore, everything was printed at home at 1/144 scale using a cheap deskjet printer. Even with the smaller scale the model will be ~30 inches long and over 4 inches in diameter at the base!

I still have several things to work out along the way. I am unsure of the motor size I'll use. To keep it simple, I am not planning to cluster this thing. For recovery the first stage will come down by itself with stages 2, 3, and the payload section recovering together.

Here's a picture just before "first cutting".

Here's the upper body segment of Block A coming together. The fuel tank assembly was built up from five separate segments.

Cool! I downloaded these plans ages ago, with the same idea, but never got enough "round tuits" to carry it through. Really looking forward to following this build.

Here's the upper and middle body sections along with the fuel tank section. The top plates have been added to the fuel tank assembly.

On the body sections, you can see I have put on one of the fuel line fairings. There are 12 of these fairings on Block A alone. I'll work on the other 11 later.

Now we get to my favorite part -- not!

One unique feature of the N-1 is that it boasted 30 first stage engines. Six in an inner ring and 24 in an outer ring. Getting 30 engines to work together reliably ended being the doom of the N-1 project.

I have yet to perfect rolling the small nozzles required for these steps, so these may not look very good. Anyway, here's the inner assembly. I cut a hole in the middle large enough to hold a 24 mm mount.

This is still incomplete, but will show you just how impressive the business end of the N-1 was! If they had worked out the engine reliability, who knows how the moon race would have turned out. Maybe we would have been forced to keep going to the moon and not abandon the Apollo project...oops...on a soap box here...

Here's what I have of the base plate so far...

I didn't want the model to feel slighted by not being built at 1/100 scale to go along with the Saturn V so my 1/144 Proton-Zond has been keeping it company as I build it.

You can get plans for several different configurations of the Proton here:

Classic Paper Space Models

You can really get an idea of how big the N-1 was from this pic:

I'm glad to see someone taking on this project.

I have been considering it ever since I finished my Delta II but decided to finish up the 12 rockets that were in various stages of contruction before starting anything new.

It looks like it is going to be quite an impressive rocket when completed. Make sure you keep us posted on the progress. You just might give me the incentive to make one also.

I admire the patience it take to build one of these.. the makings of a very nice model !

Very nice work on the model. I too have built a few Currell kits, SpaceShipOne, RVT, Faucettemobile, and half of a V-1. They do take a lot of patience (especially the N1, just look at the interstage lattice :eek: ), but they turn out very nice when completed. I like how Currell models have an "under tab" when gluing tubes and cones, eliminating the overlap tabs you normally have with paper models. Once again, very, very nice job on the N1, and I hope it turns out well.

-David

BTW: I tried downloading the N1 Files but when I go to unzip them with WinZip 7, it says that there is an error reading the files and suggests re-downloading them. However, re-downloading doesn't help. It does this with all of the "older" Currell models, like the N1, V2, and Land Ironclad.

For those of you either building an N-1 or have built one, it may be of interest that Andy Woerner (the guy who put together the Vostok project for Plaster Blaster III and NSL 2005) is planning to build a scale N-1 for this year's PB, to launch on all 38mm motors (oh yeah, 30 of them). He had one a couple years ago that flew on a whole bunch of smaller motors, but I wasn't around to see it fly - only the pics on the wall of his living room.

WW

Originally posted by stymye
I admire the patience it take to build one of these.. the makings of a very nice model !

Stymye,

Thanks for the encouragement. I find I never have enough patience for these things, but going through this process helps to develop more! Truly I can’t imagine the patience and attention to detail required to design one of these kits. The people who design the plans for all of us to enjoy are true masters.

JJ

Originally posted by Pyro Pro
I like how Currell models have an "under tab" when gluing tubes and cones, eliminating the overlap tabs you normally have with paper models.

BTW: I tried downloading the N1 Files but when I go to unzip them with WinZip 7, it says that there is an error reading the files and suggests re-downloading them.

Pyro Pro,

I really like the Currell plans, too. The color variation on the large parts really helps when applying the small parts, everything lines up correctly, and they have so many details! That’s a good thing, and a bad thing. I find the small details take much longer to complete than the big pieces.

I’m using WinZip 9 and it was able to extract the Currell Graphics zip files. You might try a newer version of WinZip.

JJ

Originally posted by wwattles
For those of you either building an N-1 or have built one, it may be of interest that Andy Woerner (the guy who put together the Vostok project for Plaster Blaster III and NSL 2005) is planning to build a scale N-1 for this year's PB, to launch on all 38mm motors (oh yeah, 30 of them). He had one a couple years ago that flew on a whole bunch of smaller motors, but I wasn't around to see it fly - only the pics on the wall of his living room.

WW

WW,

Thanks for the heads up regarding the monster N-1 project. Thirty 38mm motors? My mind can’t fathom how much work and how much $$$ would go into a project like that. Please post links & pics when available.

There was another big N-1 project a few years ago. I love the launch video with the Soviet national anthem in the background. They also have a screenshot from Rocksim that shows a CG/CP relationship.

Moon Race 2001

Did anyone here get to witness this launch in person???

JJ

I saw the video (Point 39 Productions) of that launch, but it would have been cool to see it in person.

I just checked, and it is WinZip 9 I have. I downloaded it about a month ago.

Originally posted by Eric/VAl
Looks like someone is going to beat me to it!
GO FOR IT! :)
Eric:)

Eric...At the rate I am going there is plenty of time to beat me.

Just finished the base plate. I don't have the technique down on rolling the nozzles. They are not rolled consistently. Oh well. I will keep plugging away.

I am moving on to some of the flight conversion issues -- launch lug, chute tube, motor mount, etc. After those things are done, I'll glue the Block A segments together and move on to Block B.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. There were over 100 parts to the base plate alone! :eek:

Here's the finished base plate:

WHAT??!!! No hobby SPACE RACE??? AWWWWW!!!! :D
I have abut 2-3 more promised projects myself to kick out the door- and start- before I get to that one. I started planning for it back in March, but was so wrapped up with the SCUDS- I still have a few loose ends to finish- I'm working on a HIGH-RES kit of the 'B' model, and just finished a REGULUS-1. Coming up is the SNARK, and REGULS-2- by popular demand! OI! lol
Keep going on the N-1!!! I want to see it fly! ( I know those big kits can get tedious, and you picked one of the greatest!- in every sense of the word) Ralph does great work, and was a real inspiration behind my getting started with carded rockets :)
Your baseplate is looking good!
Eric:)

WHAT??!!! No hobby SPACE RACE??? AWWWWW!!!! :D
Don't tempt me! :rolleyes:

I just started the 1:17 scale Maxus 1b card model so I need to finish that one first. If he isn't finished with this by the time I finally get it done, I might just pick up the challenge. ;) :D

Originally posted by BobH48
Don't tempt me! :rolleyes:

I just started the 1:17 scale Maxus 1b card model so I need to finish that one first. If he isn't finished with this by the time I finally get it done, I might just pick up the challenge. ;) :D

Wow...with posts like these I won't suffer from a lack of motivation. ;) Looks like I better turn off the computer and get cutting!!!! :D ;) :p

Originally posted by jjnodice
Wow...with posts like these I won't suffer from a lack of motivation. ;) Looks like I better turn off the computer and get cutting!!!! :D ;) :p

You don't have to rush that fast. :p ;)

If I follow my usual speed of contruction, it will be weeks before I even think about it. :rolleyes:

Plus, you already have that big head start !! ;)

I normally try to not skip ahead too many steps when I am working on a project, but I couldn't resist working on the second to last step of the entire project...

As a result of that quick step, I now have a helper on the project to provide oversight and technical support. None other than Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov is on hand to make sure that this moon launcher is completed to the glory of the Party and the Cosmonautics Corps...

Here you can see the parachute tube, a homemade internal launch lug, and the lower body coming together. The fuel line fairings are being applied to the upper body section. The two body halves have been subsequently "hard mated" with white glue. What a relief!

Looking good!

I wondered how to do the launch lug! Guess Alexei is a big inspirational help? :) I'm going to be busy for- I don't know how long with up coming card-model projects. lol- so I guess you got me beat too:)
Looking good!
Eric :)

Good thing Cosmonaut Leonov has arrived. I am at a point where I am not sure what to do and could use some help from the Council of Chief Designers.

I have the individual pieces of the stabilizer grids completed, but am not sure of the best way to apply them. The instructions call for them to be applied in a "deployed" configuration. This would look cool and I would like to do it this way, but am concerned that on landing these could easily shear off and tear away some of the printed paper. I can see these being a constant source of post flight maintenance.

On the other hand, I have seen pictures of the N-1 at rollout with these stabilizer grids in a stowed configuration. This might be better for my model. It's simple and doesn't seem likely that they will shear off at landing.

I am going to save applying these and working on the interstage truss for later. I have printed out the upper stage pieces and instructions. Tomorrow night I can start Block B!!!

Here's a picture of Cosmonaut Leonov as he inspects the Block A stage and the stabilizer grids...

I was wondering where you were going to put the chute. Do you have a sense of how big a chute you're going to need?

Good idea on the launch lug. I usually wait until it's too late and then think about launch lug placement. :rolleyes:

I haven't finished my Maxus 1b yet, so you still have the race to finish one all to yourself. ;)

I've been meaning to ask. What weight cardstock are you using for this model? I have found that 65 lb. paper is easier to work with but for the bigger models I usually use 110 lb. stock

I've got very PRE-DEVELOPMENT plans going on for a Tochka (sp) It uses 4 large grid fins as well. I asked Tim over at Apogee how to simulate them, and he said to try to use really fat fins programmed in. So how to hold them on? I had thought about creating exta tabs on the parts, and inserting through the wall, gluing them to the backside, and reinforcing with glue beads. YOu're working 'stock' though. I havn't had any problem with shear off's on landing- I've even let the scuds fly without chutes, and nothing has come off. If it were me- which it isn't-lol- I would probably build it "stowed" test fly- brag that it works- (if it works) Thencarefully cut them off and re-attach the fins 'splayed' and re-fly just to se what happens. At least that way you'll be able to give advice on what to do/not to do- a step at a time :) Besides- odds are it won't show up in the pics for us other folks, and then you can build the 'MASTERPIECE' uh- if you want to really build a 2nd one:) A REAL model space rocket PIONEER! :D
Just my lil 2penny thoughts..

Originally posted by BobH48
I was wondering where you were going to put the chute. Do you have a sense of how big a chute you're going to need?

I am planning to use two chutes -- one for the Block A, and another for the upper stages. The bottom half of Block A will recover by itself. The round fuel tank section will be connected to the upper stages by the interstage truss. This is probably one of the riskier parts of the way I am building it. I am depending on the truss to support the loads. I plan on doing an inner truss that will be coated with something (probably finishing epoxy) for strength. The outer truss will be "for looks".

Why this way? I didn't want to cut a big hole in the upper portion of the tank and ruin the "on the shelf" value of the model. I also wanted to use as little internal body tubing as possible.

Right now, the Block A is just shy of 2 ounces with no motor or chutes. I am really happy with that. I should be able to get by with less than an 18" chute for it. Something between 12" and 18". Whatever the descent rate calculators tell me to use.

I am not sure about the upper stage chute size right now. I plan on doing a Estes Saturn V like recovery system for the upper stages.

Good idea on the launch lug. I usually wait until it's too late and then think about launch lug placement. :rolleyes:

Been there! Done that! ;) :) The Estes Mars Lander helped me figure out how to do the launch lug. I knew with the tapered design of Block A, external launch lugs were not going to work. I still need to poke a hole in the upper fuel tank segment, but I’ll wait until later to do that. I’ll also have to poke an exit hole somewhere in Block B for the rod to escape.

I haven't finished my Maxus 1b yet, so you still have the race to finish one all to yourself. ;)

Your Maxus 1B is really looking sharp. I especially like the baffle design you are incorporating.

I've been meaning to ask. What weight cardstock are you using for this model? I have found that 65 lb. paper is easier to work with but for the bigger models I usually use 110 lb. stock

I used 65lb paper for Block A. I wanted to minimize weight on this thing. So far, I've done well with weight but it does seem a little flimsy. It should be ok for flight, but I've decided to switch to 110 lb for the upper stages.

I have no idea yet what motor I’ll use. I have a 24 mm mount installed. I’m thinking a D12 will probably be in order after I have balanced this thing with nose weight. If I keep building it light, I might be able to sneak by with a C11-3. We’ll see...

Here’s a pic that should give you a better idea where the chutes will come out. You can see the coupler and screw eye attached to the fuel tank segment.

I've got very PRE-DEVELOPMENT plans going on for a Tochka (sp) It uses 4 large grid fins as well. I asked Tim over at Apogee how to simulate them, and he said to try to use really fat fins programmed in.

SWEET! That's an SS-21, right? Sounds like you are working through some of the same grid fin issues I was thinking about!

So how to hold them on? I had thought about creating exta tabs on the parts, and inserting through the wall, gluing them to the backside, and reinforcing with glue beads. YOu're working 'stock' though. I havn't had any problem with shear off's on landing- I've even let the scuds fly without chutes, and nothing has come off. If it were me- which it isn't-lol- I would probably build it "stowed" test fly- brag that it works- (if it works) Thencarefully cut them off and re-attach the fins 'splayed' and re-fly just to se what happens. At least that way you'll be able to give advice on what to do/not to do- a step at a time :) Besides- odds are it won't show up in the pics for us other folks, and then you can build the 'MASTERPIECE' uh- if you want to really build a 2nd one:) A REAL model space rocket PIONEER! :D
Just my lil 2penny thoughts..

Thanks for the tips. I am definitely trying to build as close to stock as possible.

Your idea for attachment would probably work well. That's what the N-1 model uses to attach the fuel fairings to the body. They are on pretty solidly!

Flying the grids stowed will definitely be simpler, but the grid fins are so cool! It's a shame to see them go to waste.

Another reason for why I am building the model the way I am, which I didn't say in my replay to Bob's questions, is that I wanted Block A to be modular. I decided I would build the first one as simply as possible with a single motor. If it flew ok, I could go back someday and build another Block A. Maybe a cluster of 18mm and Micro-Maxx's. I could just swap out Block A without having to rebuild the upper section. But I am dreaming a little too much right now.

Eric, I still need to build some of your card models and I've ordered a Dr. Zooch Shuttle. Whether it works or not, after I'm done with this N-1 I'll be on to other projects... ;)

Jason

Latest posts

Back