NOTAM, SkyVector, "Space Operations" - What's going on here?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
Ok, a strange thing just happened.

I was simply dinking/surfing around on TRF, following a couple of links/threads of interest. I was looking into waivers and such, followed links to "Sky Vector" - which I know absolutely nothing about. But I was clicking around trying to learn something (with no real plan or method). I happened to notice a little red dot that was close to my area (which as some of you might know is quite remote). So I zoomed in and found that the area was indeed close - just 23 miles away. Hmmmm. So I look a bit closer and find that this is a NOTAM (I do know what this means) - interesting....... for three days starting TODAY - VERY interesting........ for something called "Space Operations" - okay now you really have my attention........with the reason for the NOTAM being "TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR ROCKET LAUNCH ACTIVITY" - wow!, what is going on here?

I've included a screen shot from the page I just happened upon.

So, PLEASE, those of you who are familiar with these things - What is this all about? How do I find out more? Is there some really cool rocket thing going on right now, right here, that I know nothing about? This is extremely cool.

notam moab.jpg

Here's the webpage as well: https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_2677.html

Have I stumbled on something cool or what?

s6

Wow. I had NO IDEA anything like this was happening so close to me. In years the ONLY rocketry that I've known going on anywhere close to me (meaning less than a 4-6 hour drive) was a few kids occasionally flying drugstore LPR rockets now and then. No "serious" flying or flyers anywhere close. How have I missed this?

s6

Check out the first video on the homepage from that website. Some VERY cool camera work - particularly the couple that pan following the launched rocket (0:11 and 1:09 starting). Some of the best rocketry video I've ever seen actually.

I think I might call in sick at work tomorrow and take a little drive out into the desert......

s6

Very cool S6- take a camera! I was hoping it was closer to stickershock Mark and maybe we could go see it but it's waaayy to far in the boonies for sightseeing. Are you running a fever? The Doc prescribes clean hot desert air to cure you. Take lots of water.

Ok, that was pretty cool.

Short story: I followed up on some internet searching, and found out more about the event. It’s an annual collegiate rocket competition wherein thirty plus teams design/build/fly some big rockets. I drove on out there and checked it out. Saw lots of cool projects & flights, and witnessed a couple spectacular failures. Cool rocket day.

Longer story: The event turned out to be the Intercollegiate Rocket Engineering Competition (IREC) and they’ve been launching at this location for the past nine years. The event is run by the Experimental Sounding Rocket Association (ESRA) out of northern Utah. Between thirty and forty teams – some from as far away as Brazil – design, build, and launch rockets carrying 10lb. payloads to 10,000 and 25,000 feet. All the info about IREC is here: www.soundingrocket.org.

So, I worked a few hours in the morning, and then headed out to the launch site to check it out. It was an interesting event in how some things differed than a “normal” NAR/TRA event – in terms of safety, rules, communication, etc. The “prep and viewing” area, was WAY far back from the actual pads. There was no PA or sound system, but everyone had radios and all communications and announcements came through them. There was group there from a “local” amateur radio club, that had SERIOUS equipment, doing all the tracking/telemetry (in real time), satellite link ups, multi-station radio comms., etc. Each round of rockets took an hour or more to get set and ready to launch, and then they launched three to five of them, and started over. One weird thing was that (in theory anyway) folks were not allowed to retrieve their rockets until the end of the day, after ALL rockets had flown. So, rockets that flew at 8:00am were supposed to sit on the ground (and it was HOT out) until 3:30pm.
Up at the pad area, things were both very strict and very loose. On the strict side, they had a couple of (volunteers?) who were taking their job a bit too seriously who went a little nuts when anyone just took a step towards the perimeter of the “safe areas”. But then, they had this completely ridiculous safety screen in front of the launch control table which would have been useless in the event of large shrapnel hitting it. And folks who were up at the pad area were allowed to be quite close to the pads, as long as they stood behind a car. I’m talking only 180’ away from a pad launching N motors (more on this later).

The rockets themselves were pretty cool. Lots of machining of components, lots of complex electronics, some cool payload/experimental stuff, etc. Some flew hybrids, some EX/sugar motors, some commercial reloads. A general feeling I got was that things were often made overly complex, but hey this was about college engineering/technology, not hobby flying. Still, I’m sure many of you are familiar with what happens when you move away from “K.I.S.S.” and towards making things more complicated than necessary, right?

Joe Hinton, from Giant Leap, was there lending a hand, so I got to hang out and talk shop with him quite a bit. Great guy. I’m looking forward to flying his local field in northern Colorado in a couple weeks (and hopefully getting my L2 cert).

What was REALLY cool was the “camera launch pad” that a friend of Joe’s provided for the event. Some of you will likely know him already – his name was Doug but I forgot his last name. This rig was absolutely awesome. Check out the photos I have of it. The pad/rail itself was amazing, but there were also many cameras rigged all over it, and on towers/poles/tripods around it as well. They shoot all kinds of angles, some panning with the rocket as it launches, some super high speed, all HD, all synced together.

The flights: quite honestly, for all the high tech and planning, most of the flights I saw did not go well. There were a few recovery system failures (including one spectacular ballistic ground entry) and a couple rockets came apart in flight. Two flights scrubbed (wisely) after spending 45-60 minutes setting up and finding some small thing wasn’t quite right (usually electronic). One flight didn’t go because the lighter got blown out at ignition, and they didn’t have a spare! But still there were some very sweet flights that went fine.

But there was one BIG cato. Yikes. The motor was a AMW N2020. We were all standing just 180’ from the pad. The ignition and lift off went fine (see the sweet photo – check out that flame!), but then the thing blew up off the rail. HUGE blast!! Upon inspection of the debris, and checking out the photos, it was an interesting cato. What seemed to have happened was that the upper grains over-pressurized and then blew out the lower grains (breaking the Aeropac retainer cap). There were a few un-lit grains on the ground (can also be seen flying in the pics). Those grains were slightly burnt on the outside, but had obviously not truly ignited. The airframe itself (glassed phenolic) shredded too, but this did NOT seem to happen from the blast. All the airframe damage was above a point that was separated from the motor by a bulkhead (which was intact). I can only surmise that it came apart due to flight stress?

That blast was big. And when you consider that only a couple of the grains at most actually were part of that explosion…….all I can say is now that I’ve experienced an N motor cato from less than 200’ away, I don’t need to do this again. Like I said….yikes.

Here’s some of the pics:

some of the rockets at prep:
IREC 1.jpg

the radio guys' rig:
IREC 2.jpg

the "camera launch pad" (note that the actual rail is in the down position in these pics):
IREC 3.jpg

a rocket getting set up on the pad:
IEEC 4.jpg

N2020 CATO!!!
IREC 5.jpg

s6

Some minor corrections/edits - As they liked to suggest - it's not rocket science, it's rocket engineering. Complicated projects and payloads all had their moments. That's Doug Gerrard's photo pad - the major cato was just barely off Doug's rail - rocket was from the University of Minnesota - pretty sure it was only an M - Yale University did acquire another igniter and eventually flew - University of Missouri flew a rifle straight and high with perfect recovery, as did some of the other schools, and then there were some not so perfect recoveries and most of the hybrids presented problems all of their own - the Brazil team flew a great sugar motor, University of Puerto Rico staged beautifully - L1030 to K780, as did Embry-Riddle (all the way from Daytona) lots of flights from Canadian schools - Lavall, Montreal Polytechnique, ETS, New Mexico Tech had flights in both categories - totally awesome competition - very impressive list of school groups - nearly doubled in size from last year. Well run event by just a handfull of dedicated folks and a few volunteer judges. Motojoe 4 Giant Leap but I'm really from NCR or SCORE or UROC or Tripoli Colorado or Tripoli Las Vegas, depending on who's hosting the launch event. Looking skyward for your L2 flight at our High Skies in July launch.

Last edited:
Thanks for those bits Joe.

I hope I wasn't sounding disparaging, but I guess it came off that way a bit. For the record - I was only there for a portion of the event, and Joe was there the whole time. It just so happens that the majority of the flights I WAS there for were "less than optimal". There WERE some great flights for sure - especially that Brazil sugar motor I agree. And there were lots of very cool projects. Another thing that was refreshing was (this being a college event of course) that there were so many younger flyers, of both genders, and a range of ethnicity. It wasn't just a bunch of middle aged white guys (and btw I'm a 50 year old white guy myself). Yeah these folks were primarily all about "engineering" first, and "rocketry" second, but it was still pretty cool to have lots more diversity than what I typically see at launches. And they designed, built, and flew some SWEET rockets - bigger and higher than I've done myself at that.

It WAS a great event, and I'm definitely going to, at the very least, go back again next year. Perhaps I'll volunteer to help out as well.

s6

Don't feel bad. TWA hosts a university launch at Bong every year too, lots of carnage. A lot of very large intricate projects, with a failure rate in the realm of 75% or so. As with anything, the greater the complexity, the greater the chance of a problem. Sure is fun to watch though.

...That's Doug Gerrard's photo pad - the major cato was just barely off Doug's rail - rocket was from the University of Minnesota - pretty sure it was only an M....

I really hope I get to see that video/imagery at some point!

Thanks for sharing s6, abstract way to find the launch for sure. Good luck on your L2!

This appears to be a Class 3 launch waiver. That's the same as a standard Class 2 HP rocket waiver except for the air space exclusion. Normally airspace is shared, even at most rocket launches.

The FAA require a 3 mile horizontal separation for flight of larger rocket and a minimum 2000' vertical separation. Therefore In lay terms, the waiver restriction essentially define a baseline range of 6 miles (or 31,680') the a maximum altitude of 29,000' MSL or 5.49 miles).

They most likely doubled the required 2,000' vertical separation to 4,000 feet more than the 25,000' planned apogee to allow for flight simulation errors as the target altitude is 25,000' for the highest planned operations.

The maximum Class 2 rocket altitude allowed by TRA or NAR high power codes would be 2 x the baseline = 12 miles. I'm sure the FAA demands an infield recovery and will not any rockets to go outside the waiver cylinder so they are more restrictive.

It's a very logical waiver grant.

Bob

....... But there was one BIG cato. Yikes. The motor was a AMW N2020. We were all standing just 180’ from the pad. The ignition and lift off went fine (see the sweet photo – check out that flame!), but then the thing blew up off the rail. HUGE blast!! Upon inspection of the debris, and checking out the photos, it was an interesting cato. What seemed to have happened was that the upper grains over-pressurized and then blew out the lower grains (breaking the Aeropac retainer cap). There were a few un-lit grains on the ground (can also be seen flying in the pics). Those grains were slightly burnt on the outside, but had obviously not truly ignited. The airframe itself (glassed phenolic) shredded too, but this did NOT seem to happen from the blast. All the airframe damage was above a point that was separated from the motor by a bulkhead (which was intact). I can only surmise that it came apart due to flight stress?

That blast was big. And when you consider that only a couple of the grains at most actually were part of that explosion…….all I can say is now that I’ve experienced an N motor cato from less than 200’ away, I don’t need to do this again. Like I said….yikes..........

N2020 CATO!!!
View attachment 175984

s6
Whoever was doing range control for that event should be kicked in the butt. No one should be been allowed to be out in the open at 180' from a N motor during a launch.

The minimum personnel separation distance for a N motor is 1000'. This distance is not arbitrary. It is twice the maximum expected 500' fragment throw distance for N impulse motor. At 180' there is a more than insignificant probability that someone could get hit by a debris fragment if the motor catoed.

Bob

A couple of clarifications:

You had to drive out to the actual pad area, so there were a number of cars/vehicles up there. They DID require everyone to be at least behind a vehicle when launching (and they did pay close attention to this). So no one was actually "out in the open".

The actual prep/viewing area was WAY distant - they did keep the majority of people (those not directly involved with the rockets that were currently on the pads) plenty far back. At least 1000' it seemed to me.

And the motor in question I was told was an N (by one of the students), but Joe has information that it was in fact an M.

But even so, I absolutely get what you are saying. It was pretty strange having people (a fair number of them) that close to the big pads when launching.

s6

Back