"Motor Mounts Are For Sissies"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
WHOA WHOA WHOA! Hold on there! It's just the rocket's name! You were about go rant about how we need to respect the low-N-slow folks, wern't you?

Anyway, this is my "one week wonder" project. I started it Sunday night and finished it the midnight before the launch.
Simple rocket. Hand laid 38mm Fiberglass BT, 1/16in G10 fins, plastic NC. The rocket cost me $10 to make (just the NC).

That's the great thing about composites. Body tubes get really cheap when you have mandrels and spare FG cloth lying around.
No tracking. Just about an ounce of tracking powder and a mylar streamer. It disappeared at apogee, but Joe (Jmhepworth) spotted it just after apogee and tracked it for a while. We lost it later in the decent, but Joe's tracking was enough to guess the general area it landed in.
My mom went out and found it within minutes.

Here's the video.

[video=youtube;iFJdlcsSoZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFJdlcsSoZ4[/video]

Enjoy.

Alex

WHOA WHOA WHOA! Hold on there! It's just the rocket's name! You were about go rant about how we need to respect the low-N-slow folks, weren't you?

Enjoy.

Alex
Nope. I love the name. Motor mounts are reserved for those who underestimate the awesomeness of teleportation.

:)

Nice surprised you were able to track it you must of had a lot of eyes on it!!

Great flight. Did it veer to the left at first? It kinda looked like it in the video but it may have been the video screwing with my brain.

WHOA WHOA WHOA! Hold on there! It's just the rocket's name! You were about go rant about how we need to respect the low-N-slow folks, wern't you?

Anyway, this is my "one week wonder" project. I started it Sunday night and finished it the midnight before the launch.
Simple rocket. Hand laid 38mm Fiberglass BT, 1/16in G10 fins, plastic NC. The rocket cost me $10 to make (just the NC).

That's the great thing about composites. Body tubes get really cheap when you have mandrels and spare FG cloth lying around.
No tracking. Just about an ounce of tracking powder and a mylar streamer. It disappeared at apogee, but Joe (Jmhepworth) spotted it just after apogee and tracked it for a while. We lost it later in the decent, but Joe's tracking was enough to guess the general area it landed in.

Here's the video.

[video=youtube;iFJdlcsSoZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFJdlcsSoZ4[/video]

Enjoy.

Alex

Freaking sweet!!! Man, I LOVE this hobby. It's spur-of-the-moment projects like this that make this such a cool place.

Kind of hard to tell from the video... but what did this home brew rocket look like?

Here's the video.

[video=youtube;iFJdlcsSoZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFJdlcsSoZ4[video]

Enjoy.

Alex

Great flight. Did it veer to the left at first? It kinda looked like it in the video but it may have been the video screwing with my brain.
It did a tad, but it might have just been my video. I really should have tracked it better, but I wasn't even looking through the viewfinder.
I wonder what you use to cut the G10.
I use an abrasive carbide grit blade in my Jigsaw. I've cut probably 30+ fins with it and the blade is still going strong. Everything from 1/16 glass to 1/8 carbon.
Freaking sweet!!! Man, I LOVE this hobby. It's spur-of-the-moment projects like this that make this such a cool place.
Thanks, Chris!
Kind of hard to tell from the video... but what did this home brew rocket look like?
I'll get a pic of it up later.

Alex

Badass. I didn't catch the motor? What's your process for laying up the airframe?

Nice shot - wicked fast!! I haven't hit Mach yet myself, I'm considering making it a project to start after my L3 cert attempt.

Maybe I'll hit you up for some ideas next year when I get rolling on it......

Back