Anyone Have A Model Of This Rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
She's a beauty! I don't know what she is, and did'nt even research it yet, but that's one mean looking Rocket right there!
Look at all the Details! and it would have to be a Multi-Staged Rocket obviously.

This is an old Soviet-era surface-to-air missile.

If you want to build a flying model, you should know that the most-aft fins on this missile (the ones on the booster) fold through 90 degrees just after launch to the "flight" position. The hinge point is at what appears to be the trailing edge of the root chord in your picture.

I have "a few" other pictures of this thing somewhere. Should I start digging?

This is an old Soviet-era surface-to-air missile.

If you want to build a flying model, you should know that the most-aft fins on this missile (the ones on the booster) fold through 90 degrees just after launch to the "flight" position. The hinge point is at what appears to be the trailing edge of the root chord in your picture.

I have "a few" other pictures of this thing somewhere. Should I start digging?

I would gladly take any Pics' you have. This would be an awesome build someday when I get skills enough.

The Rear Booster Section kinda' says, "I'm so powerful I don't need to be airodynamic." The square Fins are cool.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the SA-3 "Goa", alias S-125, alias 5V24 or V-600, or alias 5V27 or V-601 depending on type. S-125 is more properly the whole system, whereas 5V24//V-600/5V27/V-601 is the actual missile.

Here are a couple which I saw when on holiday in Germany in 2007. This one is at Luftwaffenmuseum Gatow:
066sa3_small.jpg

And this one is at Peenemünde:
302sa3_small.jpg
Note how the upper pair of booster fins are in the open position while the lower pair are in the closed position.

Not yet LOL

I`ve always wanted to build an SA-2 Guideline though ,kind of similar in a way.
Here's mine. :)

On the pad:
194sa2.jpg

Going up:
196sa2_sky1.jpg

Booster away:
199sa2_separation1.jpg

Another place I went to in 2007 was a little museum run by a company which had the job of safe disposal of ex-Eastern Bloc missiles. They had a special furnace for burning propellants and warheads, and then they put the rest on display in their museum. They also sent similarly disarmed missiles to other places - if you've ever been to a museum in former East Germany and seen a missile on display, it was probably one of theirs. They've got an SA-3 but there's so much other stuff nearby that it wasn't possible to get as good a photo as those from Gatow and Peenemünde. But they've also got a few SA-2's - that model of mine with the GDR roundel is based on one. Another has various panels removed so you can see what's inside, while extra nose cones, radars and engines are on display separately. I'm going to need to start a whole different thread if I'm going to post the photos I got of that lot!

She's a beauty! I don't know what she is, and did'nt even research it yet, but that's one mean looking Rocket right there!
Look at all the Details! and it would have to be a Multi-Staged Rocket obviously.

It doesn't have to be multi-stage if you don't want to do that (obviously multi would be cooler). When I saw this, it reminded me some of Nike Ajax/Hercules. Before Powderburner gave details, I assumed it was a 50s/60s era SAM.

It's probably just a cardboard mockup. Love the old Studebaker truck though.

I received a SAM 3 from SEMROC as a bonus for all that I buy from them. It's a small kit but has a lot of parts for such a small one. It could be very easily modified to be 2 stage and more detail could be included for the more scale look.

To build a version of this rocket the SEMROC SAM 3 would be a good place to start. I would think Launch Pad would have it's own version, too, but I don't know about that for sure.

It's probably just a cardboard mockup. Love the old Studebaker truck though.

Looks like a Studebaker truck? You think they made knock-off trucks from the ones we sent to them in WWll? It for sure wouldn't be the first time. The Vostok rocket had 30 smaller motors to drive it to space, 30 50,000 pound thrust GERMAN V2 motors... They couldn't get a truly big motor to work without it exploding in testing.

I can hear the conversation;

"Well, Vladimir, another failure and you're gone to the Gulag... "

"Wait, I have an idea! We will use 30 V2 motors instead of the Americanski way!!"

"...how will you plumb this ...monstrosity?"

"Is no problem, we have little old lady who designed Moscow sewer system working on this. She says it will take a lot of cast iron pipe to do the job but if Comrade Stalin wants it so it will be!!"

I received a SAM 3 from SEMROC as a bonus for all that I buy from them. It's a small kit but has a lot of parts for such a small one. It could be very easily modified to be 2 stage and more detail could be included for the more scale look.

To build a version of this rocket the SEMROC SAM 3 would be a good place to start. I would think Launch Pad would have it's own version, too, but I don't know about that for sure.

Going to go check that out.

Can't find any SAM Missiles on the Semroc Site.:( Gonna' go peruse the TLP Kits.

Here are some build photos I started when I was doing this model for NARAM 52. Ran into problems so I switched over to a Nike Hercules. If I run into trouble with my Navaho the GOA will be my back up build.

There are build photos of my Nike Hercules on this site as well.

https://johnboren.com/html/s-125_goa_missile.html

John Boren

Can't find any SAM Missiles on the Semroc Site.:( Gonna' go peruse the TLP Kits.

https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-79

There ya go :)

edit: I might add, I think I'll get another of these and 2 stage it. It would simply take cutting the lower stage from the upper. I might add a little clay to the nose for single stage flights and to compensate the addition to the lower end the weight of an entire motor. A C6-0 to C6-7 could reach altitudes approaching those of surface-to-air missiles :)

Last edited:
Here are some build photos I started when I was doing this model for NARAM 52. Ran into problems so I switched over to a Nike Hercules. If I run into trouble with my Navaho the GOA will be my back up build.

There are build photos of my Nike Hercules on this site as well.

https://johnboren.com/html/s-125_goa_missile.html

John Boren

John, that's awesome! Hope you get it Built eventually. Nice close up Pics' of your incredible Detail Work. Very nice!

Looks like a Studebaker truck? You think they made knock-off trucks from the ones we sent to them in WWll? It for sure wouldn't be the first time. The Vostok rocket had 30 smaller motors to drive it to space, 30 50,000 pound thrust GERMAN V2 motors... They couldn't get a truly big motor to work without it exploding in testing.

I can hear the conversation;

"Well, Vladimir, another failure and you're gone to the Gulag... "

"Wait, I have an idea! We will use 30 V2 motors instead of the Americanski way!!"

"...how will you plumb this ...monstrosity?"

"Is no problem, we have little old lady who designed Moscow sewer system working on this. She says it will take a lot of cast iron pipe to do the job but if Comrade Stalin wants it so it will be!!"

Don't knock em too much. They pulled it off while ours were still blowing up on the pad.

The R7 didn't use V2 engines, though. They used two types of multichamber LOX/Kerosene engines which really don't resemble them at all. 1 RD-107 engine in each booster plus a single RD-108 engine in the core, plus another RD-108 engine in the upper stage. These engines are still used in Soyuz today, even though they've made many advancements in the multichamber designs since then. I suppose a bunch of RD-170s (20% more thrust than an F-1) would just tear it apart, though. They never did get a good handle on our giant single chamber engines but the TWR on those isn't too shabby. Atlas 5 uses half of one (RD-180).

Redstone, in comparison, was directly based on the V2 design. But redstone wasn't our most advanced rocket at the time either, just the one judged least likely to blow up.

Last edited:
https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-79

There ya go :)

edit: I might add, I think I'll get another of these and 2 stage it. It would simply take cutting the lower stage from the upper. I might add a little clay to the nose for single stage flights and to compensate the addition to the lower end the weight of an entire motor. A C6-0 to C6-7 could reach altitudes approaching those of surface-to-air missiles :)

Well, thanks, but that was dissapointing. The Semroc SAM-3 looks over simplified, and on their Picture of it there are Flowers and happy things in the Backround making it look like a bad Joke. Maybe if they had Explosions and Carnage in the Backround I'de like it better.
When and if I build one, I want it to look like it is a true Anti-Aircraft Missile. I'm stealling the Paint theme from the North Korean one that was in my first post to use on a different Build. I like the contrasting colors.

Last edited:
I started building one at one point, i'm afraid it never got out of the tube cutting phase. It was going to be BT-60 size & scaled it out using this, it was going to be two stage as well.

TA

I started building one at one point, i'm afraid it never got out of the tube cutting phase. It was going to be BT-60 size & scaled it out using this, it was going to be two stage as well.

TA

I think it would look good with a 3" Tube for the First Stage, and everything then Scaled around whatever Scale that would make it. That way it could be either a Mid-Power or a High Power. Maybe even a 4"???? I'm so gonna' have to Scratch Build this. What a Monstrosity!!!
Getting the right Ogive in the upper Tube is going to be a new experience. Any Ideas?

I can use the Bases cut off of Plastic Nose Cones to make the Transition Sections. Suddenly, this just got easier to start planning out.

I think the entire Front End Body Section will have to be made on a Lathe, then used as a Mold for Cardstock or Fiberglass.

Back