RocketPoxy 5000

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windeavor

Reaction score
Just received an order of RocketPoxy yesterday. Had a little spill in the bag to clean up but fortunately not too much got out. Mixed a small amount and laid a test fillet in a grove of smooth plastic. Checked on it this morning and it looks really good. It is flexible as advertised, but I didn't have any extra fiberglass to test it's holding strength. Instructions say to wait 15 min or more to lay fillets to avoid sagging. For those of you that have used it is this about right? Also when pulling final pass on fin fillet does it flow smoothly or is it better to wet tool with denatured alcohol? Will be using this to finish external fillets on a black Darkstar that has been on hold for too long.

Just did Rocket Poxy fillets on my Wildman Jr. last weekend. Rocket Poxy 5000 seemed thicker with a shorter pot life compared to say Aeropoxy so I did not wait 15 minutes. Also I mixed in a pinch of carbon fiber which makes it even thicker. By the time I was done with 3 fins, (20-30 minutes) the Rocket Poxy was getting like silly putty, so I did use a little 91% IPA to do some final fillet smoothing. The optimal widow seems like 15-20 minutes for fillets, but I am just too slow and not doing one fin at a time, so not waiting is better. Basically I am handling the work piece during the first 15 minutes anyway so sagging isn't an issue. Pretty happy with results, but I will need to go back and touch up with filler.

Last edited:
Called manufacturer direct to order, but they recommended I order through one of their retail partners. Needed it quick so ordered from Apogee.

Thanks for your feedback. I didn't have time to work with the little bit I mixed last night, so it's good to have an idea what others are experiencing. Also I am working in the garage which gets up to around 85 in early evening. I would expect this will accelerate the set time so better not mess around too much. I usually only do the top facing fin fillets and let them cure over night before turning and working the next set of fins which helps keep the screw-up factor under control. Also haven't used pigment before so that will add a little mixing time as well.

I have done several external fillets with it and find that waiting for it to thicken only makes it harder to work with. Any additives make it cure faster, including the color dye. You don't need to add milled fiberglass or chopped carbon fiber, it's plenty strong all by itself. It's also prone to trapping bubbles that only appear after you leave to do something else..... :facepalm:

Still haven't gotten the smooth, shiny fillets I got with Proline 4500, but they are getting better with practice.

I have done several external fillets with it and find that waiting for it to thicken only makes it harder to work with. Any additives make it cure faster, including the color dye. You don't need to add milled fiberglass or chopped carbon fiber, it's plenty strong all by itself. It's also prone to trapping bubbles that only appear after you leave to do something else..... :facepalm:

Still haven't gotten the smooth, shiny fillets I got with Proline 4500, but they are getting better with practice.

Oh yes the bubbles. That could be an issue for me as I was planning on making black fillets on a black fiberglass Darkstar with no paint.

I love proline. I bought some from wildman in the past. I did not know it was called Rocketpoxy 5000.

I was unclear. I bought some rocketpoxy from wild man, but I also like Proline.

Mixed another RocketPoxy test batch last night and added black pigment in about 85 degree garage. Didn't kick as fast as I was expecting so put a heat gun on it to accelerate the cure. This caused the bubbles to rise and clear quickly leaving a very smooth shiny finish. I have seen the bubbles clear well in Aeropoxy using the same method. Read the provided instructions this morning all the way through, and this is exactly what the manufacturer recommends to clear the bubbles. Thought I would pass this along as I missed that part of the instruction sheet first time around.

Mixed another RocketPoxy test batch last night and added black pigment in about 85 degree garage. Didn't kick as fast as I was expecting so put a heat gun on it to accelerate the cure. This caused the bubbles to rise and clear quickly leaving a very smooth shiny finish. I have seen the bubbles clear well in Aeropoxy using the same method. Read the provided instructions this morning all the way through, and this is exactly what the manufacturer recommends to clear the bubbles. Thought I would pass this along as I missed that part of the instruction sheet first time around.

Thanks that is a handy tip! It proves that RTFM, once again, holds true.

Thanks for the tip! We're about to add external fillets to a Super Jart, will give it a try.

Shoot out an update on how you make out on the Super Jart. Before the Super Jart came to be I decided to upgrade my original Jart design to allow larger motors and dual deploy. No RocketPoxy in this one but here's a pic of my Jart Extreme. Finally finished the clear and decals after having it built for several months.

Back