Introducing: NUCLEAR FALLOUT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonMises

Reaction score
My daughter wanted to build “something different” for 4-H this year. We started playing with ideas last September. By March, she had the electrical system mocked-up for testing. By the end of May the entire rocket was assembled without finish, and on July 11 it was finished.

She learned quite a bit building this, as she had to do everything herself. Those few things we couldn’t accomplish at home had to be sourced. For instance, we can’t safely turn 4.25 inch round stock on our lathe, so we had to find a machine shop that would allow her to get hands on with their CAD program, and machinery. In the end she was running a 3 axis CNC.

I got to pay for everything.

In daylight, the rocket is rather plain. The nose cone is XXXX with a layer of XXXX.

051Finishedrocketindaylight.jpg

When the lights go out, the Sticker Shock Glow-in-the-Dark decals really light up.

052Decalsglowing.jpg

Thin XXXX really glows when lit up by nearly XXX green XXXX LEDs. Since glowing green is a euphemism for getting nuked, you can appreciate the name she gave it.

055Alllitfullrocket.jpg

With any luck the rain will stop tomorrow night so we can get a picture of it from 3,000 feet away. We want to see what it will look like at apogee.

Last edited:
Nice! Happy to see others use PVC :=)

Wish you and your daughter success with the flights!

Ari.

Nice! Happy to see others use PVC :=)

Wish you and your daughter success with the flights!

Ari.

We both learned the pros and cons of XXXX. Personally, I'd like to build all of my rockets from it, but I'm restricted to under XX inches on my lathe and I don't have a dividing head for the mill.

Pros:
The prospect of a great finish: If the paint doesn't come out the way you want, just clean it off with lacquer thinner and start over.
It's very tough. The tubular fins can be used as XXXXXXXX. If they break, just cut another one. It's inexpensive. But not all XXXX is created equal. We bought tXXXX XXXX that were straight and had a very smooth finish inside and out. The next batch they had was from a different company and it was useless if you wanted a good finish.

Last edited:
We both learned the pros and cons of PVC. Personally, I'd like to build all of my rockets from it, but I'm restricted to under 4 inches on my lathe and I don't have a dividing head for the mill.

That's the problem with machine tools. You always want a bigger one.

Nice model! I love the silver nose cone. I can see by your profile, the K-motor, and the night options that even though you are new to TRF, you are not new to model rocketry.

beautiful !!! what schedule PVC did you use 20 or 40? how did you attach motor tube and centering rings and what were they made out of?

That's the problem with machine tools. You always want a bigger one.
Indeed it’s a trap. The more tools you have, the more you can do. AND, if you have just one more tool, you can do even more.

Nice model! I love the silver nose cone. I can see by your profile, the K-motor, and the night options that even though you are new to TRF, you are not new to model rocketry.
It will be flying on a G, not a K. However, you are correct, I've been perfecting the crash since 1971. Been flirting but resisting the urge to go HP. My daughter got her Jr L1 last fall, so I’ll never hear the end of it until I get mine too.

It isn’t perfect. But again, we both learned a great deal and the next one will be.

Last edited:
Not sure of the schedule. It’s the thin wall sewer drain pipe. Low pressure stuff. The thicker pipe is too heavy and light will not penetrate.

Can’t recall the particular manufacturer at the moment, but I intend to see if they have 6 or 8 inch. This will exponentially increase the possibilities.

The biggest problem with PVC is that it isn’t standard Sport Rocketry size. So everything has to be adapted to it.
I have used pipe from Cresline, specifically this product: https://www.cresline.com/pdf/cresline-west/pvcds&sewerpipe/CWPVC11.pdf. Local Home Depots and Lowes deny knowledge of it, but a specialty plumbing-supply store has them in stock. The pipe comes in 3", 4" and 6" diameters. While the precise dimensions are oddball in rocketry terms, the 3" and 4" pipe's IDs matches the OD of LOC body tubes and blue tube. This means that you can use off-the-shelf BT as coupler, and also that you can fit standard rocketry items like nose cones and CRs if you line them with a short length of BT. The 6" pipe is completely non-standard. On my 3" sewer piper, I use an ebay from an old 3" LOC rocket. On my 6" tuber, I laser-cut my own CRs from 1/4" plywood.

Ari.

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_6636sm.jpg

IMG_3529.JPG

IMG_2175cr.jpg

Quote" Not sure of the schedule. It’s the thin wall sewer drain pipe. Low pressure stuff. The thicker pipe is too heavy and light will not penetrate.

Can’t recall the particular manufacturer at the moment, but I intend to see if they have 6 or 8 inch. This will exponentially increase the possibilities.

The centering rings and engine retainer are made from 6061T6 Aluminum. My daughter designed these on her grandpa’s drafting table, then she participated in entering the data into a CAD program, and running the machinery.

Here’s the most awesome part. On the way home from the machine shop, she said (paraphrasing) “A few weeks ago these were just an idea. Now I’m holding them in my hand. How cool is that”?

Sorry, I digress.

The centering rings were glued to the phenolic inner tube with JB weld. Stations were layed out, then screw holes were drilled into through the PVC and certering ring at the same time while the airframe was cradled in V-blocks. Each hole was tapped and a screw was inserted as they were drilled. This maintained alignment.

The biggest problem with PVC is that it isn’t standard Sport Rocketry size. So everything has to be adapted to it. "

thanks for the info. i really want to make a pvc rocket and will use this to get going on it.

I have used pipe from Cresline, specifically this product: https://www.cresline.com/pdf/cresline-west/pvcds&sewerpipe/CWPVC11.pdf. Local Home Depots and Lowes deny knowledge of it, but a specialty plumbing-supply store has them in stock. The pipe comes in 3", 4" and 6" diameters. While the precise dimensions are oddball in rocketry terms, the 3" and 4" pipe's IDs matches the OD of LOC body tubes and blue tube. This means that you can use off-the-shelf BT as coupler, and also that you can fit standard rocketry items like nose cones and CRs if you line them with a short length of BT. The 6" pipe is completely non-standard. On my 3" sewer piper, I use an ebay from an old 3" LOC rocket. On my 6" tuber, I laser-cut my own CRs from 1/4" plywood.

Ari.

hard to believe, they have a branch 6 miles from me. we don't have anything. thanks for the lead, i will be calling next week.

Ari, those are pretty neat. I can just see a Saturn 1B or V made out of that stuff. I have to ask, do those things even need a parachute?

Last edited:
Folks i have seen this rocket up and, close inside and, out several times......

The pictures DO NOT due it justice!:surprised:

It is as well built or better than most experienced rocketeers i know could do.:eek:

The Merrell family with their strong aviation background and, solid construction practices have definitely created a stunning rocket here that will debut at Midwest Power 11 in the night launch on Saturday.......Unfortunately flown in my name for posterity........If you want too see it before said launch, look for wherever i have set up my "Pits" in the corn stubble.

When you see what this 16 year old young lady....designed, built with her own two hands..... You'll have an everlasting positive outlook on the youth of today and, what they can do, with that energy.:D

I am very honored too know the Merrell family and, call them my friends.

Folks i have seen this rocket up and, close inside and, out several times......

…I am very honored too know the Merrell family and, call them my friends.

And we are indeed fortunate to call you friend as well.

Little VM is extremely flattered by all the positive response, and looks forward to launching this thing repeatedly.

She already has a couple more projects ready to empty my wallet.

I have a 20 year old PVC rocket. It was my conformation rocket on a I284. I then used it for 2nd level on a Kosdon J280. My 3rd level rocket was PVC 6" x 15' 50 lbs with a Kosdon M2240, 500 pounds of thrust. I used a rough sanding drum to raise a "tooth" where the fiberglass and epoxy was attached to the PVC for the fins. I had more money into the Chrome Monocote finish than the airframe.

Hopefully more often than her Ptery Jr. -- she held onto that one (swaddled in its blankets) for dear life! :D

(Then again, if I could paint rockets like you guys can, I'd probably do the same thing.)

And, who would have thought and, believed that she COULD paint Ghost Flames into a Tangerine Pearl Base coat.......
Frick'n UNBELIEVABLE!:surprised:

It only won the best 4H Rocket in the state of Indiana last year....;)

Hopefully more often than her Ptery Jr. -- she held onto that one (swaddled in its blankets) for dear life! :D

(Then again, if I could paint rockets like you guys can, I'd probably do the same thing.)
She only flew it because we made a deal. She wanted the Ptey Jr do do her flame job on, and I have never spent that much on a kit for me. So we agreed that if I bought the kit, (with upgraded parachute) she yould fly it at least once.

Thanks to Mr. ZL1, she got her L1 Jr cert.

And, who would have thought and, believed that she COULD paint Ghost Flames into a Tangerine Pearl Base coat.......
Frick'n UNBELIEVABLE!:surprised:

It only won the best 4H Rocket in the state of Indiana last year....;)

She's quite crafty and resourceful. In addition to my wallet, she uses my brain as a crash test dummy for her ideas. I’m just glad she uses her powers for good, and not silly evil things like potpourri and doilies.

Wait till you see what she has planned. Hope I can afford it.

She's quite crafty and resourceful. In addition to my wallet, she uses my brain as a crash test dummy for her ideas. I’m just glad she uses her powers for good, and not silly evil things like potpourri and doilies.

Wait till you see what she has planned. Hope I can afford it.

Well..... We could enter into some type of "partnership" or so..:rolleyes:

There's ALOT of unused "pipe" hanging around at Cape Chaos.

Manny and, I have decided too call ourselves "The Flying Meatball Brothers" at Airfest this year in Kansas.... Complete with Nudie's *Maple Leaf* print Western jackets and, Cowboy hats.;)

I'm sure we could do something less radical though.....:D

I wanted too pull this thread back up as i received an interesting email this morning from a very good friend....

It was very bittersweet too advise on two Putnam County 4H rockets this year. I knew only one could....WOULD go onto too the state competition...knowing what these young folks were capable of.
View attachment 140512
Pictured is the winning rocket of Seth Brady of Greencastle Indiana who will be going on to the State judging.....A Gizmo XL...Graphics by Sticker Shock.:cool:

From an engineered/technical/thought out angle i wanted too see BOTH get Blue Ribbons and, move up but, since it was Seth's last year before going on too College.....One had to go.

As a small consolation.....I have decided that Public Enemy Aerospace will donate the small "G" motor for Grace's MWP11 Night Launch and, i have given Miss Grace the explicit control and, final decision to design the paint scheme and, graphics for "Brooke Royale".....My 7.5" Wildman Ultra Darkstar too debut at MWP11.....(The ONLY 7.5" *Ultra Darkstar* in existence.)

She CAN spend my money anyway she wants.......period.

Now, take me out of the equation.....This is what needs too be said.....IF YOU can help some young boy or girl in anyway in this hobby.....Scouts/4H/etc.....DO IT....You will be richer in anyway than ever thought of......

With two years left in Grace's eligibility in 4H.....There's going to be alot of "Payback"......Trust me.

Back