New scratch build, "Chopped!"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I had so much fun building the Jersey Bomber, I decided to build another fun and easy rocket. I got the inspiration for this one from Estesbasher's Chopped Big Daddy thread. I'm even naming it "Chopped". It's going to be a very short and stubby rocket. And just to make you guys happy, I'll even be putting a 54mm motor mount in it! Like you tell me, I can always adapt down but but not up.

As usual, I printed the fin template on cardstock. I had to cut the template in two pieces and tape them together. The fins will be made out of 1/4" birch plywood that I got from Michael's.

View attachment Chopped54mm.ork

screenshot_54mm.jpg

01_template.jpg

02_fins.jpg

03_fins.jpg

I pinned the fins together with 1/4" dowel pins so I could cut and sand them together.

04_fins.jpg

05_pins.jpg

06_pins.jpg

07_pins.jpg

08_pins.jpg

Like I've done in the past. I used the bandsaw rip fence to cut the fin tabs. Keeps them more uniform that way.

09_fins.jpg

10_fins.jpg

11_fins.jpg

12_fins.jpg

13_fins.jpg

Man, you really are addicted to rocketry. Thats awesome! Will be looking forward to this, I have been meaning to tell you this but, I learn a ton from your threads, read them from top to bottom.

Thanks, and good luck!

Man, you really are addicted to rocketry. Thats awesome! Will be looking forward to this, I have been meaning to tell you this but, I learn a ton from your threads, read them from top to bottom.

Thanks, and good luck!

Well, thank you!

I match sanded the fins on the stationary belt sander, and sanded the sides with my cordless sander. Using a 4-1/4" hole saw, I cut out the centering rings, then sized them on the lathe.

14_fins.jpg

16_fins.jpg

17_centering_rings.jpg

18_centering_rings.jpg

19_centering_rings.jpg

I epoxied blocks to the centering rings for the rail buttons, and to the aft ring for the tee nuts.

20_centering_rings.jpg

21_blocks.jpg

22_blocks.jpg

23_blocks.jpg

24_tee_nuts.jpg

I hammered the 6-32 tee nuts in the aft ring, then covered them with epoxy. I cut 1-1/2" off the nose cone shoulder, leaving 2-1/2". And I don't know if it will help, but I flooded the tips of the fins with thin CA. I'm hoping it will help keep them from getting splintered on landing. I thought about rounding the tips, but didn't think it would look good.

25_tee_nuts.jpg

26_tee_nuts.jpg

27_nose_cone.jpg

28_nose_cone.jpg

30_fin_tips.jpg

I think you're going to like the opened up nose cone.

Two of my birds have them and they're both short, too. It's the best thing I can think of for getting a short rocket on the outside and and long rocket on the inside. :D

BTW, a 1 grain 54mm case and an I150T make a great combination for birds this size. I also like the 38/360 case loaded up with an I218R that I flew my Squat on last weekend.

Last edited:
I cut the body tube in half with the miter saw. Sure is gonna be a shorty!

31_body_tube.jpg

32_body_tube.jpg

33_body_tube.jpg

34_body_tube.jpg

I think you're going to like the opened up nose cone.

Two of my birds have them and they're both short, too. It's the best thing I can think of for getting a short rocket on the outside and and long rocket on the inside. :D

BTW, a 1 grain 54mm case and an I150T make a great combination for birds this size. I also like the 38/360 case loaded up with an I218R that I flew my Squat on last weekend.

Yeah, that's the only way to do this one. I'll have to put almost a pound of weight in the nose, and embed a screw eye in the resin, like I did with Jersey Bomber. I don't know yet which case and load I'll go with. I'm thinking either an I117 Fastjack, or I140 Skidmark. Really depends on what Mike has at the time.

I match sanded the fins on the stationary belt sander, and sanded the sides with my cordless sander. Using a 4-1/4" hole saw, I cut out the centering rings, then sized them on the lathe.
You did make extra CRs for Jeff ? :wink:
Is that a Mercury Engineering NC?

Last edited:
I cut the body tube in half with the miter saw. Sure is gonna be a shorty!

what type of and tooth count blade did you use? did you put it in "backwards"? i too have learned a lot from you builds, thanks for sharing.

looks like a fun rocket! i also learn a lot from your threads keep it up! :pop:

Because it's so short and stubby, and only has three fins, Open Rocket called for about a pound of nose weight. The first step is to put the weight medium in the nose cone, in this case nuts and BB's, and mark the level. Then I drilled 5/32" holes and put bamboo skewers through. The skewers will hold the resin in place, since it won't stick well enough to the plastic.

36_nose_weight.jpg

37_nose_weight.jpg

38_drill.jpg

40_nose_weight.jpg

41_nose_weight.jpg

I put masking tape over the ends of the skewers in case of leaks, and covered it all with some Press N Seal. Then mixed up the two part casting resin, about 60ml total.

42_nose_weight.jpg

43_nose_weight.jpg

44_resin.jpg

45_resin.jpg

46_resin.jpg

I poured the resin in over the weight. It will work its way down through the BB's and nuts and hold it all together. Since I cut the aft end off the nose cone, I had to embed an eyebolt in the resin to attach the shock cord to. This nose cone is long and the tip tapers down quickly, and there's not much room in it for my big hands. I had trouble placing the eyebolt upright, but finally got it with the use of a long dowel and an 1/8" brass rod with a hook in one end. After weighing it, I discovered I needed three more ounces of weight. Fortunately there was enough resin for three more ounces of BB's.

47_nose_weight.jpg

48_nose_weight.jpg

49_nose_weight.jpg

52_nose_weight.jpg

Another informative build in the works. I get a lot out of your builds, as well. Thanks for posting them. Do you have a heat issue with the casting resin, as it cures?

Another informative build in the works. I get a lot out of your builds, as well. Thanks for posting them. Do you have a heat issue with the casting resin, as it cures?

You know, the first time I used resin, it got pretty warm, but not hot enough to melt the nose cone. So the next two or three times I used it, I suspended the nose cone in water just in case. But the last couple of times, it didn't get very warm at all. So I no longer bother with the water.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...tch-build-the-Plasma-Fart&p=306617#post306617

Thanks, and good luck!

what type of and tooth count blade did you use? did you put it in "backwards"? i too have learned a lot from you builds, thanks for sharing.

nice design captain, following your build...

looks like a fun rocket! i also learn a lot from your threads keep it up! :pop:

Thanks for all the compliments, guys!

You did make extra CRs for Jeff ? :wink:
Is that a Mercury Engineering NC?

Darn, I knew I was forgetting something!

Yes, the nose cone is from Mercury. I've used their nose cones a lot. They're a little thin, but they're inexpensive and longer and sharper than LOC's cones. Haven't had one fail yet.

It's an 80-tooth, 12" blade. No, I haven't put it in backwards, but I have heard of that.

miter_saw2.jpg

You know, if I had thought this through, I would have gotten a longer eyebolt. As it is, it's too close to the resin. I can just barely get a quick link on it, but there's not quite enough room for me to tighten it. No big deal, though, I can just loop a length of Kevlar through it.

quick_link1.jpg

quick_link2.jpg

And yet another superb build by Captain Low-N-Slow!!! Keep em up friend! What motor are you planning on using for the first flight?

And yet another superb build by Captain Low-N-Slow!!! Keep em up friend! What motor are you planning on using for the first flight?

Thank you for the compliment! I'm thinking of either an I117 Fastjack or I140 Skidmark.

Latest posts

Back