98mm minimum diameter rocket; N3301 at Kloudburst

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannyskid

Reaction score
Next weekend is Kloudbuster's spring launch called Kloudburst. I will be making the long trek down there with a rocket that I have been working on for the past few months. The rocket is basically a motor with a composite fin can, tube and nose cone slid over it. The fin can is a 12" long carbon fiber tube with three swept back fins. The fins are almost an exact copy of the fin shape used on Judy and Jackson's (JLrockets) N5800 project. The fin core is out of 1/8" thick G10. The fins were beveled then bonded to the tube with proline 4500 glue, then given a healthy fillet with 4500. The reinforcements were done with soller composites 12K carbon. I did the lay up with a 1/3, 2/3, and 3/3 lay-up to produce something of an airfoil. I then spread 4500 glue on the leading edges and also painted it with VHT flame-proof paint in order to protect the carbon lay-up.
fin can 2.jpg

The electronics bay is bolted to the forward closure. It will hold a Raven 3, a Missile Works Mini rrc2, a comm spec transmitter, and a BRB 900 GPS transmitter. There is a coupler that fits over the av-bay and forward closure and bolts the whole assembly together. The main airframe tube slides over the case and coupler leaving about 3.5" of coupler exposed above the main tube. The shoulder of the nose cone has been left out and the nose cone slides over the exposed coupler. The resulting space in the nose cone is for the paracute to pack into. I will be separating it at apogee with a CD3 system and back-up surgical tubing black powder charge.
shoulder.jpg
I will be flying this rocket with a 19318 Ns N3301 White. According to RasAero, the rocket should hit an altitude of just above 45,000 feet at a top speed of just over mach 3. The high altitude application for Kloudbusters was approved by the BOD, so we are go for launch for next weekend.
full stack.jpg

Nice looking project, I'd like to see pictures of your avionics bay assembly. Which laminating resin did you use on the fin layup?

Nice looking project, I'd like to see pictures of your avionics bay assembly. Which laminating resin did you use on the fin layup?

I tried posting pictures of the av-bay but my phone has been acting up, so I'm going to go get a replacement today and I will try to post them later. I use West Systems for my lay-ups.

Any target day/time for this? I'm hoping to make it down for most of Saturday.

-Kevin

Manny, good luck. I never got a chance to fly my 3301 this weekend. May the odds be forever in your favor on this one buddy!!

Manny "The Meatball" Ballestero
They call me that because Tim's wife makes some Damn good meatballs.....

I'm thinking MeatBalls refers to the cajones it takes to attempt this project. Much respect Manny. Good luck.

Any target day/time for this? I'm hoping to make it down for most of Saturday.

-Kevin

Kevin, I'm hoping to fly it mid-day on Saturday. I'll make sure you're looking :)

Manny, good luck. I never got a chance to fly my 3301 this weekend. May the odds be forever in your favor on this one buddy!!

Thanks dude, I'll make sure to update you fairly soon after the flight.

Good Luck manny, Get some Pics!

Alex

Oh yeah, I will definitely have video (my engineering teacher is letting Mr take his good video camera) and I will hopefully have picture.

I'm thinking MeatBalls refers to the cajones it takes to attempt this project. Much respect Manny. Good luck.

That, and there will be a plate of meatballs straight from the Lehr household as payload in this rocket....just kidding, but the would be sweet, I wouldn't even have to rip off CJ for meatballs.....rocket delivered meatballs!!!

Good luck Manny!:wave: I want my motor case to come back with not only the "Stolen from Gus Piepenburg" i wrote on it....but, also "Flown to 45,XXX' by Man-well!"
Make us all proud young man!:smile:

Good luck Manny!:wave: I want my motor case to come back with not only the "Stolen from Gus Piepenburg" i wrote on it....but, also "Flown to 45,XXX' by Man-well!"
Make us all proud young man!:smile:

Gus,

So you are responsible for unleashing the "Wild Child" on us, eh? We need to talk at AirFest!:D

I'm sure it's going to be cool one way or another.

Bob

Gus, once I get the case back, I will write that on there. I can't wait to break our combined altitude record, and I do mean my record + your record.

Bob, I'll have to listen in on that conversation too. I'm just hoping for good weather at this point. My mom tells me that I should go anyways because any other launch we have been to where it was couldy that there was a break in the coulds.

Jason, I hope it isn't really cool o_O

Kevin, you bet, I won't fly it unless I have your full undivided attention.

Also, I think I may name it the "Faux ARCAS"

P.S That nozzle is spent and is just there for show.

paint.jpg

Bob, I'll have to listen in on that conversation too.

Manny,

No worries! I was just giving Gus a bad time.

The weather forecast looks most promising Saturday morning earlier rather than later. If I were you I'd do everything neccessary to fly as quickly as possible Saturday and then we wait for a cloud break. What kind of tower/launch rail will you be needing?

Bob

Manny,

No worries! I was just giving Gus a bad time.

The weather forecast looks most promising Saturday morning earlier rather than later. If I were you I'd do everything neccessary to fly as quickly as possible Saturday and then we wait for a cloud break. What kind of tower/launch rail will you be needing?

Bob

Okay, I was planning to fly fairly early anyways. With my current schedule, I will be arriving at the field around 4am. I will probably take a 3 hour nap before I begin preparation. I do have two other drivers, my mom and my project partner, so I won't be terribly tired. This rocket is actually part of a year-long project for my high school engineering class. For the most part, I did most of the construction and he did a lot of the paper work but he has been tremendously helpful. I will be bringing my own tower launcher and it is VERY heavy duty. I don't know if you want me to have my own seperate bank, or if you want me to be on any specific bank since I'm not so sure how the pads will be set up. My partner will be setting up the tower while I prep the electronics. I will introduce him to you Bob and you can show him where he can set up the pad. I will try to launch as early as possible without rushing, I think 10am sounds like a reasonable time to be finished. See you there!

Gus,

So you are responsible for unleashing the "Wild Child" on us, eh? We need to talk at AirFest!:D

I'm sure it's going to be cool one way or another.

Bob

Bob, it will either be a REAL tear jerker moment........:):sigh::)

OR a.

BAD MONKEY!! BAD MONKEY!! moment.......:bangpan:

I'm leaving him in your CAPABLE hands.......:D

Last edited:
Hey, Manny? I can tell you the secret to a successful launch in Argonia...

1) Remember Bob's first name is "Hey" -- he truly appreciates hearing "Hey, Bob!" at least 12 times an hour.
2) Put your pad wherever you want, and tell him he'll like it, and you're not moving it.

That oughta get you Bob 0.2. :)

In all seriousness, I assume you're flying a tracker of some sort? What kind/frequency?

-Kevin

Hey, Manny? I can tell you the secret to a successful launch in Argonia...

1) Remember Bob's first name is "Hey" -- he truly appreciates hearing "Hey, Bob!" at least 12 times an hour.
2) Put your pad wherever you want, and tell him he'll like it, and you're not moving it.

That oughta get you Bob 0.2. :)

In all seriousness, I assume you're flying a tracker of some sort? What kind/frequency?

-Kevin

Kevin, do you really not want to see this fly??? lol

I have two trackers on board, one is a comm. Spec. on 223.870. The other tracker is a Big Red Bee BRB900.

Kevin, do you really not want to see this fly???

It'd provide entertainment for the rest of us, that's for sure. :)

I have two trackers on board, one is a comm. Spec. on 223.870. The other tracker is a Big Red Bee BRB900.

Okay, nothing I have a receiver for -- I would've offered to help track, if you were on anything 70cm.

-Kevin

It's Scut Farkus

Scut-Farkus.png

Manny, if that picture isn't pasted on the side of the rocket, or at least on the flight card, the Internet will be disappointed.

Best of luck!

Manny, if that picture isn't pasted on the side of the rocket, or at least on the flight card, the Internet will be disappointed.

Best of luck!

The picture will be taped to the blast deflector or the tower.

On another note, the CD3 ground test went really well.

This looks awesome and I wish you the best of luck, but a word of caution: The BRB9000 probably doesn't have enough range for this flight. It's really only good to about 15-20k in my experience in real world conditions. You might theoretically have enough link budget with a high gain antenna and a lot of luck with antenna alignment, but I would be really nervous. Try to find a 70cm beeline for this, you'll be glad you did.

Manny, I have a 70cm BeeLine I can bring with me. You know the rules :)

Latest posts

Back