New scratch build, the Jersey Bomber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice repair! Will the Bondo reinforce the weakness that the crinkle made in the tube? Are you going to slip a coupler on the inside of this repair to reinforce it?

I was wondering about that also. Is it wrinkled on the inside? Coupler might not be a bad idea.

I really hope you won't be dissatisfied with your choice of colors. That hard red on that hard blue is something we discouraged people from choosing when I was in the sign business. We had sample signs all over the place showing folks what the right choices were VS the....not so right. The blue & red made reading the text way harder than using text on a more contrasting background. Might check with Mark @ Stickershock for his opinion. Just some graphic food for thought. Love your drippy font!

I don't know, I think I like the color combination.

jersey_bomber_red_blue_text.jpg

I don't know, I think I like the color combination.

Have you tried using a white font? It's not bloody drippy red (which actually looks good) but it might compliment the background. Black or white make great backing for red fonts. Just ask Mark.

or maybe just use a narrow white shadow on the lettering... But Then it's QQauke's rocket, as long as He likes it, that is all that really matters

Nice job on the fins, Jim!

At the end of my current deployment I'll be headed to HF (or craig's list) for a drill press & bench sander. Man can never have enough power tools.

Nice repair! Will the Bondo reinforce the weakness that the crinkle made in the tube? Are you going to slip a coupler on the inside of this repair to reinforce it?

I've never repaired a body tube with Bondo before, so I don't know how strong it would be. I didn't think strength would be an issue, since the wrinkles would be at the bottom and the motor mount and fins would strengthen it. But as it turns out, I was able to get an 18" long section from between the wrinkles. Wrapping them with masking tape to help prevent the ends from tearing, I cut the body tube and motor tube with the miter saw.

53_body_tube.jpg

54_body_tube.jpg

55_body_tube.jpg

56_body_tube.jpg

57_motor_tube.jpg

I flooded the ends of the body and motor tubes with CA so I could sand them smooth. Then I epoxied the forward centering ring to the motor tube. I used 1/2" long nylon spacers I got from the hardware store to set the position of the ring on the tube, and keep it square. After the epoxy set, I applied a fillet to the other side.

58_ca.jpg

59_motor_mount.jpg

60_motor_mount.jpg

62_motor_mount.jpg

63_motor_mount.jpg

Got the motor mount epoxied into the body tube. I printed out a finwrap from Payloadbay.com and marked the fin lines with a piece of aluminum angle.

64_motor_mount.jpg

65_motor_mount.jpg

66_finwrap.jpg

67_angle.jpg

68_fin_lines.jpg

For longer fin slots, or fin slots for split fins, I'll tape the aluminum angle to the body tube and use it as a guide for cutting the slots. But for slots this short, I just cut them freehand with a sharp Xacto knife. Using my handy-dandy super-duper fin alignment guide, I got the first fin epoxied on.

70_fin_slots.jpg

71_fin_slots.jpg

72_fin.jpg

73_fins.jpg

I don't have the nose cone yet, I just ordered it from Performance Hobbies. So just for fun, I put a LOC ogive nose cone on it. And for comparison, here it is next to my scratch built BT-80 based Blood Sucker.

82_nose_cone.jpg

83_nose_cone.jpg

84_comparison.jpg

85_comparison.jpg

Got the internal and external fillets done. As usual, I used epoxy for the internal and Titebond No Drip glue for the external.

86_internal.jpg

87_internal.jpg

90_external.jpg

91_external.jpg

You know 'JERSEY Bomber"could have some MOB connections,LOL.I'm thinking mybe a mosquito with a Tommy gun.

I had thought about the mob connection, but the army mosquito is the only one I could find with a gun. Think you can draw one?

I had thought about the mob connection, but the army mosquito is the only one I could find with a gun. Think you can draw one?

I can't,but mybe Stickershock can come up with something.There's got to be some cartoon...Daffy Duck???I think I remember him with a tommy gun.LOL. The red and black also looks great.

I got the nose cone from Performance Hobbies today. I've never used a fiberglass nose cone before, I'm assuming I'll have to embed an eyebolt in the epoxy when I add the nose weight. It looks like a Mosquito!

92_nose_cone.jpg

93_nose_cone.jpg

94_nose_cone.jpg

95_nose_cone.jpg

96_nose_cone.jpg

It's slightly larger than the outside diameter of the body tube, but I'm not concerned about it.

97_nose_cone.jpg

98_nose_cone.jpg

Looks great Jim,you did a nice job cutting out those fins.Round fins would be difficult for me.How much does the nose cone weigh?You might not need to add much to it.

Back