Newway space models - 2x4 - build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
Its a square rocket folks!

The guys are www.newwayspacemodels.com design square kits - go look, there are some real cool ones.

I got a 2x4 at the Black Saturday Sale. Just about getting around to the build now.

The main 'tube' is 1.33" wide, and the rocket builds to 25" with a wing span of 5.375" (on the front of the instruction manual!). The manual in excellent! Very clear and full of photographs!

So.. first off we open the bag and survey our plunder.

DSCF1830_resize.jpg

Everything is paged in separate bags, and we have little extras that you wouldnt usually expect. One is that they have included a paper ruler, second is a card with a pictorial of how to do the knot they recommend, thirdly, there is a package with sandpaper and an emery board. If they had included a pencil and a small tube of glue, I wouldnt have needed anything else!!

DSCF1832_resize.jpg

Also in the package was a freebie... a flying square!!

DSCF1833_resize.jpg

Motor Mount assemblies first. Weirdly one of the MMTs is already marked with a line, the other bare. Instructions state where to put pencil marks, etc. So off I went. You have to be especially careful to make sure that the centering rings are square with each other.

DSCF1835_resize.jpg DSCF1836_resize.jpg

I went with some 1/8" kevlar that I have, instead of the standard shock cord. Also using one of my own chutes.

Stick em in the body 'tubes' and add the coupler.

DSCF1839_resize.jpg DSCF1840_resize.jpg

Now on to the balsa bits. All of these were laser cut and a flick with a razor parted them from their supports. Quick sanding and we will continue.

DSCF1841_resize.jpg

The marking guide works really well!

DSCF1843_resize.jpg

Lines marked, on we go glueing the fins on. Elmers Glue All is used throughout the build.

DSCF1845_resize.jpg

Now to attach the stand off's for the launch lugs.

DSCF1846_resize.jpg

Now glue to ends on the fins and we are nearly done!!

DSCF1848_resize.jpg

Nose 'cone' gets a little sanding

DSCF1849_resize.jpg

and here we are nearly ready to fly.

DSCF1850_resize.jpg

Lookie there... even the lugs are square!!

This is going to be a fun flier.. so other than slapping some sanding sealer over this and a quick buff with 400grit, I am leaving it 'as is'. Instructions recommend a wood theme, but... nah. On second thoughts, I may need to paint the sustainer a bright color.. this goes from a 24mm to an 18mm... wheee.

Launch over the weekend if I have a chance.

I missed the part where you put the square peg in the round hole?
Anywhoo-looks good.

That is cool. Thanks for the tip on those kits. I have a NewWay 4SQUARE on the way.

My NewWay 4SQUARE showed up today. Included the bonus flying square too.

I had that rocket and I hope you have better luck flying it than I did.
The booster came down and shattered the fins. We’re talking itty-bitty splinters.
Actually we’re typing and it is only me that’s doing said typing so it should be I’m typing. . .but I digress.
The sustainer caught a thermal and was last seen heading due west increasing in altitude along the way.

If I were you I’d go with C11s for the first flight.

Last edited:
Back