1st post. some info and a nylon chute question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerorKid

Reaction score
I have been snooping for a while and got some great information. This seems to be a very helpful and informative forum.

I was into model rockets as a kid 20 years ago after taking a 8th grade class where I built and launched a rocket. Messed around with rockets for a couple years and then put them aside. I took part in the world's largest secret santa on reddit and the guy I was gifting too had rockets on his amazon wishlist. He listed a mosquito as one he wanted and all the memories came back. I got him a couple rockets and some legos, and told the wife about it. She was willing to get into rockets with me so off to hobby town we went.

We got a estes flash launch kit and bandits. It was fun to build, paint, and launch.

8237494577_68025dc4b9.jpg

8237493923_7c817031dd.jpg

Forgot to pick up mini engines though, but the next day we got to launch them.

Since then I have gone a bit insane and got some cool rockets for myself and my nephew. So far I built a Der Red Max and am working on a Big Bertha. The QCC Explorer is going to get built some time here soon. And I got a bunch more rockets from family for Xmas.

8289662101_3db249ca1b.jpg

8285493204_d06496b2de_c.jpg

So to the nylon chute question

On the starter kits I was having some issues with getting the chutes to open. I followed some vids I found and did not have much luck. While researching here I found the swivel thread and saw that some are using nylon chutes that can be attached to the rockets before launch. Seems like a great idea and i would only need a couple of each size for all my rockets. Plus I could display my rockets and not worry about storing the plastic chutes packed up which I believe makes them harder to open.

I was looking at the nylon chutes at hobby linc. Is that the way I should go or should I look at others. Looking for recommendations on good nylon chutes.

Thanks for any replies.

For more of my rocket posts see my site beerorkid.com

I also have a basement arcade if you are interested. BorKade.com

beat me to it :), however I will mention that apogee also carries chutes https://www.apogeerockets.com/ (big bertha usually doesn't need anything bigger than a 15" chute). the top flight chutes are nice, I'm slowly getting quite a collection :).
rex

Everything you need is right here.
https://topflightrecoveryllc.homestead.com/
The master of Top Flight is Gary, he goes by the name of "crossfire" here on the forum. Great company, great people.

I had no idea crossfire was TopFlight ! I have many TF thin mill chutes in my Estes kits ,as I have stopped using plastic ,and they are TOP NOTCH chutes for your application.

I`m not really putting plastic chutes in a bad light ,but when it has to land and open in all temperatures ,go thin mill, just add a barrel swivel and you can switch chute from rocket to rocket.

There are a good many people that make good quality nylon chutes for low power /mid power rockets ,see the vendors section.

***As a side note*** - Top Flight makes some really awesome X-form chutes too...I love those !

Paul T

Well, go right ahead and jump in with both feet.
"a bit insane"
Some of us caught the disease of model rocketry when we were young kids.
There is no cure for it.
It may go into remssion on the behavior part,but festors secretly in the brain all along.
When it becomes active again,its effects us even worse than before.
Have Fun...:lol:

I had no idea crossfire was TopFlight ! I have many TF thin mill chutes in my Estes kits ,as I have stopped using plastic ,and they are TOP NOTCH chutes for your application.

I`m not really putting plastic chutes in a bad light ,but when it has to land and open in all temperatures ,go thin mill, just add a barrel swivel and you can switch chute from rocket to rocket.

There are a good many people that make good quality nylon chutes for low power /mid power rockets ,see the vendors section.

***As a side note*** - Top Flight makes some really awesome X-form chutes too...I love those !

Paul T

Gary's a modest fellow, I'm not surprised you didn't know. He's a cool guy to rap with at launches too, probably see him in a couple weeks - he's a die-hard. The Top Flight thin-mil 'chutes are great for smaller rockets, they pack very small. I use a 24" thin-mil in my ACME Spitfire, which has a mere BT 50 tube to utilize.

Gary's a modest fellow, I'm not surprised you didn't know. He's a cool guy to rap with at launches too, probably see him in a couple weeks - he's a die-hard. The Top Flight thin-mil 'chutes are great for smaller rockets, they pack very small. I use a 24" thin-mil in my ACME Spitfire, which has a mere BT 50 tube to utilize.

I need to get out to some of your launch`s ,that would be nice ! I used to have a nice 48" X-Form in my G-Force ,always a crowd pleaser .

Can you order directly from TopFlight ? I need some X-forms !

OBTW there beerorKid...nice selsection of Estes kits !

Paul T

I need to get out to some of your launch`s ,that would be nice ! I used to have a nice 48" X-Form in my G-Force ,always a crowd pleaser .

Can you order directly from TopFlight ? I need some X-forms !

Paul T

Looks to be a mere 25 hour drive, come on over! You can order direct from him, buy web or phone (or fax).

I have been snooping for a while and got some great information. This seems to be a very helpful and informative forum.

I was into model rockets as a kid 20 years ago after taking a 8th grade class where I built and launched a rocket. Messed around with rockets for a couple years and then put them aside. I took part in the world's largest secret santa on reddit and the guy I was gifting too had rockets on his amazon wishlist. He listed a mosquito as one he wanted and all the memories came back. I got him a couple rockets and some legos, and told the wife about it. She was willing to get into rockets with me so off to hobby town we went.

We got a estes flash launch kit and bandits. It was fun to build, paint, and launch.

8237494577_68025dc4b9.jpg

8237493923_7c817031dd.jpg

Forgot to pick up mini engines though, but the next day we got to launch them.

Since then I have gone a bit insane and got some cool rockets for myself and my nephew. So far I built a Der Red Max and am working on a Big Bertha. The QCC Explorer is going to get built some time here soon. And I got a bunch more rockets from family for Xmas.

8289662101_3db249ca1b.jpg

8285493204_d06496b2de_c.jpg

So to the nylon chute question

On the starter kits I was having some issues with getting the chutes to open. I followed some vids I found and did not have much luck. While researching here I found the swivel thread and saw that some are using nylon chutes that can be attached to the rockets before launch. Seems like a great idea and i would only need a couple of each size for all my rockets. Plus I could display my rockets and not worry about storing the plastic chutes packed up which I believe makes them harder to open.

I was looking at the nylon chutes at hobby linc. Is that the way I should go or should I look at others. Looking for recommendations on good nylon chutes.

Thanks for any replies.

For more of my rocket posts see my site beerorkid.com

I also have a basement arcade if you are interested. BorKade.com

Your rockets look great, love to see the kids getting involved too.

WOW, I make dinner and host a guy at the arcade and come back to see so many replies.

Top Flight it is. Will make an order tomorrow.

The X forms look amazing. Is there any drawbacks to them? Cuz even is nobody is watching me shoot, I want to see one of those coming down just for personal sheer enjoyment. Hell crossfire as well.

I am lucky to have a decent field a block from my house and a soccer field 1.5 blocks down. Still not ready to hit over 1,000 feet at those places, but can launch at bigger fields with a 5 minute drive.

My goal is to launch a skidmark one day, but it seems the club in Nebraska is done since their last update was 2008. Might have to hit Iowa to get a level 1 license.

Thanks so much for the replies. Seems to be a great community that I hope to become a part of.

Chadrog, the main vid on your YT channel is awesome.

Last edited:
WHAT??? Nobody else scratch builds their chutes? Where's the love???

. . . anyway, my 30" rags with lines weigh in at 8 grams . . . I'm curious about the weight of the commercial laundry?

Sorry to reply again on my post.

Well, go right ahead and jump in with both feet.
"a bit insane"
Have Fun...:lol:

Feet first, first time.. so the starter kits and after that dive head first.

Once I launched I just giggled and needed more.

[video=youtube;s4-9ZWoCKrQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4-9ZWoCKrQ[/video]

Paul T

It all came from reading this forum. QCC FTW

Your rockets look great, love to see the kids getting involved too.

That is my wife ;)

My nephew is 10 years old and just built a rocket in summer school. I got him a der red, QCC, and Big Bertha with all the supplies for 2 launches each. Well a 3 pack for the QCC. It will be fun to work on them with him. He is coming over Sunday to play in the arcade, but we rocket a bit I bet.

Last edited:
Just made an order through Top Flight and was able to get every bit I need to get all my rockets set up right.

I thought the shock cord was by the foot, not yard, so I will have a lifetime supply. I could also make some sweet gym shorts ;)

Thanks again for the assist and the resource that this message board provides.

IYQ ScottyDog

Last edited:
if you want the same descent rate as a standard chute you'll have to use a larger X form chute, ex. a 24" x-form is roughly equal to a 19" standard chute. an x-form chute acts like it is 20% smaller...so one can use a bigger chute and see it more reddily :).
rex

That is my wife ;)

My nephew is 10 years old and just built a rocket in summer school. I got him a der red, QCC, and Big Bertha with all the supplies for 2 launches each. Well a 3 pack for the QCC. It will be fun to work on them with him. He is coming over Sunday to play in the arcade, but we rocket a bit I bet.

Ha! Sorry? Nah, awesome on all accounts!

I made a post where i mistakenly said that my nylon chute in my goony goblin was from thrustline aerospace. After seeing the top flight site I now realize that the chute is definitely a 9" thin mill orange/reddish Topflight chute! They are the best top quality chutes available. Welcome back to the hobby & the guys on this forum are great with a wealth of info on this great hobby.

This club in Nebraska looks to be active: https://www.nerocketry.org/

I guess I failed to notice they had 2012 info on the site. Most of the rest of the site has not been updated since 2008 so I just figured they were done. Will contact them and hope to attend some of the launch events. I am in no hurry to got my level 1 license, but it is a goal. Best part is that they have launch events near my area instead of traveling to Omaha.

The wife said that I am only allowed one crazy expensive hobby so if for some reason I want to launch $1,000 rockets I would have to give up my basement arcade. So that leaves the door open for a $900 rocket ;)

Last edited:
The chutes and hardware showed up today. The connectors are much bigger than I thought they would be and the X chutes are much smaller, but all will get used and I look forward to my next order.

8332499598_966b7799a4_c.jpg

Thanks again for the info. Can't wait to go launch tomorrow.

Last edited:
8335479650_764b9244d1_c.jpg

8334427511_44b53cab6f_c.jpg

8334428599_9b31baafaa_c.jpg

[video=youtube;K3MSunW3spg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3MSunW3spg[/video]

A B engine is way too weak for the Big Bertha loaded with nylon and connectors.

8327676707_c54d8c23c5_c.jpg

[video=youtube;O6KfCuMJOCY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6KfCuMJOCY[/video]

Big Bertha is a darn fine rocket. Was the first one I did up right with the primer and decoration. I am really proud of how she turned out and it flies so well.

Those nylon chutes are awesome. Shot 4 times this afternoon and each one opened beautifully. The X ones are awesome. Switched the 18 inch X chute between two rockets and each descent was great. I need to get more of those for sure.

looks like you had a couple of 'textbook' flights, well done! a few notes on the big bertha, the cheapest most effective mod is, round the leading & trailing edges of the fins. next mod is start with a baby bertha and swap out the body tube for an 18" one.
comment:
yes the BB can be converted to use 24mm motors with a simple swap out of the motor mount, Ds work nice. one can even put a 29mm mount in it (put 14g of nose weight in it) best to use single use motor in it...finding it again may take awhile though :).
rex

I have another BB kit I got for Xmas. That one is going to fly high. Todays launch at a bigger field helped me decide to get the C bulk pack instead of the B bulk pack.

have you tried putting paper skins on your (balsa) fins yet? heh smallest motor I've tried in mine is a c6-3(with adapter), mine turned out a tad heavier than usual what with having to replace the motor mount.
rex

have you tried putting paper skins on your (balsa) fins yet? heh smallest motor I've tried in mine is a c6-3(with adapter), mine turned out a tad heavier than usual what with having to replace the motor mount.
rex

And when the biggest motor that fit wasn't enough, the Big G-ertha was born.

ah yes the 'wild' bertha, 0 - 500mph in 1.5 sec.s, whee :).
ya know...I'm thinking that a 29mm is a better choice than a 38mm. better choice of motors.
rex

It is by far the most versatile size, with a range of five impulse classes - 29 is the sweet spot for me.

have you noticed how quiet a thread gets when you start discussing actually stuffing 'the biggest motor up the pipe'? methinks that finding room for both a 29/360 case and a chute might be a challenge...not sure that the bertha would survive being shoved past mach, be interesting to watch someone else try it :).
rex

Tough to say, things tend to be pretty quiet here this time of night. I bet you can make it work, I can fit a 29/360 in my Jart - I think it's a titch shorter than the BB.

Latest posts

Back