AK&A flight ops support vehicle: the Firefly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iter

HPR Glider Driver
Reaction score
I sort of feel I willed this thing into existence. I kept thinking about a configuration I want, and how much it might cost, and how much work it might require to get going, and how an ambulance has many of the features I want but is hard to come by in for a meaningful price in a reasonable condition. One day I'm out to lunch with a customer and I see this across the street. We go look at it, and it's in a used car dealer's lot, and he wants $2,500 for it. It's almost exactly what I have in mind, at a price that's in the crazy idea range. So I ask myself, do I really want one, or was I just joking when I said I did? If I wish for something, and the Universe puts that in my way, and I walk past, I must not be serious about wanting it in the first place. Long story short and $1,750 later, I now own an ex-ambulance.

"I know how these older-model Fireflies tend to have those troublesome little nooks."

It's a 1986 E350. From what I gather, the van was an ambulance for the first 10 years of its life. Then a local HAM group took it over and used it in support of their emergency communications program. Eventually, a local fire department took over ownership and support, with the HAMs continuing to operate it. I'm unclear on how much actual use they got out of it. It seems the van drove about 1,000 miles in the last 10 years.

What I like about it: it has all these compartments for storing motors and tools and stuff. It has a fold-out table to work on, it's like bringing a picnic table to a launch, only better. It's red. It has room for a lot of large rockets and gliders.

What I want to change about it: It has one passenger seat up front and a jump seat in the back. I want to have two adult passenger seats and a car seat for my daughter when she goes with me to launches. I expect in its ambulance configuration the van had a bench seat along the right wall, but it's missing now. I'm unclear on how comfortable it would be on a long ride anyway. If I have multiple passengers in the van, I want a feeling of a single space we share. These 3-hour drives get boring if you can't talk.

What I'm going to accept about how the van is: this thing has been around. The clear is peeling off and there's rust. Some of it is painted over, some of it is exposed. The van has a finite number of years and miles left in it. I'm treating it as an experiment in finding out if this is something I want to have in my life. It's the largest road vehicle I've owned (though I've driven larger ones) and I guess I'm trying it on for size.

Ari.

IMG_2776.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 33
The van shows signs of its former uses. There are oxygen and IV fittings, and the HAMs wired it for 12 and 120V throughout. There are remnants of antenna fittings everywhere, though few appear usable or on the frequencies I use. It comes with a set of folding chairs and a safety cone--I understand the HAMs used to take it to county fairs and such to promote their program. Maybe odd-roc material there.

Ari.

IMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

Last edited:
There are some real ugly parts to this van also. It's 26 years old, and it shows. The right side shows much more weathering than the left. I wonder if it parked facing East during its years with the HAM group.

Ari.

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2793.JPG

Cool! But the million dollar question is...

Does the siren still work? :grin:

The siren is missing, but most of the lights work. I care little for them, but it amuses everyone who sees them.

Ari.

Ah well. Sounds like you got it pretty cheap, though. Looking more closely at the photos of the interior, I'm jealous! It looks just about perfect for rocketry.
Hmm, let's see, I could probably save up that much money by the time I'm old enough to be able to drive it... :rolleyes:

That's absolutely beautiful, Ari.

A thing for every place and a place for everything.

Now all it needs is a Firefly logo on the sides.

View attachment 109580

After the new paint job, of course.
My recommendation is the silver from the ship rather than the brown of the uniform.

Oh WOW... it even comes with its own rocket prep table. When everyone else is outside under their 10ft square's that just do nothing to keep the dust out, you are going to be sitting comfortable in that beastie.

Jealousy!!

Does Malcolm Reynolds seem like the man who'd paint his ship?

Ari.

Oh WOW... it even comes with its own rocket prep table. When everyone else is outside under their 10ft square's that just do nothing to keep the dust out, you are going to be sitting comfortable in that beastie.

Jealousy!!

Like I'm saying. I think I willed this van into existence.

Ari.

Ah well. Sounds like you got it pretty cheap, though. Looking more closely at the photos of the interior, I'm jealous! It looks just about perfect for rocketry.
Hmm, let's see, I could probably save up that much money by the time I'm old enough to be able to drive it... :rolleyes:

If I decide to move up to a newer van by then--or if I decide I don't need it in my life by then--I might make you a deal when you reach these milestones :=)

Ari.

I have driven the Ford van ambulances for over ten years. They drive reasonably well. The only complaint I have had with them, is the leg room, and after a 200 mile drive you get out of the van and walk like you are 80 years old. So, stop often and streatch those legs. If the van still has its inverter and it is functional, buy on of those $99 mini refrigerators and install it. That way, you will always have cool drinks and food for refreshing yourself at the launches. The van will serve you will. Enjoy and keep us posted on your developing conversion.

I have driven the Ford van ambulances for over ten years. They drive reasonably well. The only complaint I have had with them, is the leg room, and after a 200 mile drive you get out of the van and walk like you are 80 years old. So, stop often and streatch those legs. If the van still has its inverter and it is functional, buy on of those $99 mini refrigerators and install it. That way, you will always have cool drinks and food for refreshing yourself at the launches. The van will serve you will. Enjoy and keep us posted on your developing conversion.

I got my $99 refer from a pawn shop for $20 :) If it starts making klinking noises it's time to defrost the thermocouple, it's iced up. With a hairdryer it doesn't take long at all :)

So, no one asked the million dollar question... With a larger vehicle, do the gliders get bigger also? :grin:

Well I have this design study for an 8-foot M650 glider...

Ari.

Well I have this design study for an 8-foot M650 glider...

Ari.

Holy. Flying. Cow.

Though the (much smaller impulse) L339 is probably a better glider motor. Cheaper too.

Holy. Flying. Cow.

Though the (much smaller impulse) L339 is probably a better glider motor. Cheaper too.

Oh yes, love those W9 endburners. That glider would have a 4" motor mount, to be able to take either.

Here's an 8 inch (1:12 scale) mockup of the general layout.

Ari.

Attachments

• glider-study.jpg
    glider-study.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 34
Interesting. You'll need a beast of a launch rail to start that off in the right direction, though, and where would it mount to the rocket itself?

Interesting. You'll need a beast of a launch rail to start that off in the right direction, though, and where would it mount to the rocket itself?

The good news on a glider is that it needs very little airspeed to be stable, so I can get away with a relatively shorter launcher (All that wing area acts a a huge fin on liftoff). The bad news on a glider is that the slightest wind wants to rotate it about the rail.

I imagine a 4-prong tower that wraps around the motor pod. I may also add shorter prong that hold the rear wings from rotating, kind of what I have for Vulcan only bigger: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?41888-Vulcan-L1-cert-glider&p=409879#post409879

Ari

Why couldn't he just use a 1515 or Unistrut rail?

So I took the van to SARG, about a 300 mile roundtrip. I'm happy with the ride. Of course the first thing I did past the gate at SARG is get myself stuck in the mud. But the helpful folk there helped me back to firm ground and all was well.

On the way back, I noticed two things: one, the power steering was gone, and two, the oil pressure gauge kept fluctuating in the lowest 1/4, often going to 0.

Both these observations concern me greatly. I see no oil leaking from under the van. Parking it without power steering is possible but impractical.

I wonder if the car people on here have any suggestions.

Ari.

My personal experience with oil pressure that fluctuated like that was on an older pickup truck, and it was simply low on oil. Think in terms of the emptying the oil pan, pressure drops temporarily, oil pump cavitates for a bit, then when enough oil has drained back, pressure goes back up.

My personal experience with oil pressure that fluctuated like that was on an older pickup truck, and it was simply low on oil. Think in terms of the emptying the oil pan, pressure drops temporarily, oil pump cavitates for a bit, then when enough oil has drained back, pressure goes back up.

If the oil is low then perhaps by extension the power steering fluid could be low/gone, too ?

Krusty

+1 on the oil being low. Better check it next time you`re going to drive anywhere.

Check the power steering fluid and that the belt is present and not slipping.

Those Fireflies need a little more TLC than the new vehicles.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

It can't have anything to do with getting stuck in the mud, can it?

I did have the oil changed and all the other fluids done after I bought it, maybe the mechanic missed something.

(Firefly is going nowhere until I figure out what it needs--if nothing else, my arms get tired without the PS. It's a heavy van)

Ari.

It could possibly be the oil sending unit, or a bad connection to it. When it said your oil pressure was low, did the engine start clacking? But the others are right, the very first thing to do is check the oil. Make sure you're on a level surface, and that the engine has been off for at least 15 minutes.

As for the power steering, it could be low PS fluid, a bad or missing belt, bad pump, bad steering gear, etc. Check for leaks around the pump and gear, and the hoses. I have heard of the pumps getting air in them, but not sure how to check/remedy that.

What year is it, and what size engine does it have?

Back