2.5x Estes Black Star Voyager

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMZawodny

Reaction score
I'm almost ready for Red Glare XIII. This 2.5x BSV is all G10 sheet and G12 thin wall tube. It has a 54mm motor mount and will have its maiden flight probably Saturday morning. It'll go up on a CTI K940 White Thunder. At just under 17 pounds, the apo will be just under 3000'. Vinyl decals from Sticker Shock go on tomorrow. Some other build photos and links to videos can be found by searching the forum.
BSV in Dress Black.jpg

That turned out to be a great looking scratch /upscale build ,as i was watching it over on the other thread ,but am glad you decided to move it over here where it belongs (you`ll get more looks over here ,and it should be looked at !!!!)

Great job ,should look nice with the vinyl .

Please post a bunch of pictures please.

Take care

Paul T

They are are 1/8" G10 sheet and are VERY stiff. Each fin weighs 26 ounces.

Last edited:
With the 3d profile adding a lot of stiffness, you probably could have stepped down to 1/16" and saved a ton of weight.

I played with 1/16", 3/32" and 1/8" sheet and I decided to go with 1/8". I could have mixed some thinner sheet in with the main structure, but I decided to go with 1/8" throughout. The 5x version will use multiple thicknesses :cool:

The decals really bring this project to life. I still need to add 6 white circles and it will be complete, cosmetically.

BSV with Decals.jpg

Had a great two days at Red Glare XIII. I do not know who else here was there from the forum. Here is a shot of the Black Star Voyager going up on a CTI K635 Red Lightning. It was a perfect flight. Enjoy! Joe

BSV movin on up.jpg

Last edited:
That was worth the trip to RG - great rocket and flight!

Back