First Level 2 scratch build, upscale Estes Shadow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a piece of aluminum angle and clamps for alignment, I epoxied the canard fins on. I ended up with another gap that'll need to be filled.

113_canards.jpg

114_canards.jpg

115_canards.jpg

116_canards.jpg

117_gap.jpg

I know a lot of people fly much bigger rockets than this. But for me, this is epic! This thing is huge! Just look at that fin span! My original intent was to make it short enough to stand up inside the house. But the length of the nose cone is wrong on the LOC website. It's 21" not 13". So the total length right now is 101". I haven't decided yet whether to leave it long or shorten it. Shortening it would only take off a couple of ounces. But leaving it long makes it harder to transport and store. Decisions, decisions.

shadow1.jpg

shadow2.jpg

shadow3.jpg

shadow5.jpg

shadow8.jpg

Funny - I've been putting off that same thing for some time.:( Build looks great Captain!

My garage has gotten really bad. I have to move stuff off the bandsaw to use it. But I put it on the sander, then have to move it to use that. Then clear off the drill press. And I've given up on the table saw and router table. Pretty pathetic.

I know a lot of people fly much bigger rockets than this. But for me, this is epic! This thing is huge! Just look at that fin span! My original intent was to make it short enough to stand up inside the house. But the length of the nose cone is wrong on the LOC website. It's 21" not 13". So the total length right now is 101". I haven't decided yet whether to leave it long or shorten it. Shortening it would only take off a couple of ounces. But leaving it long makes it harder to transport and store. Decisions, decisions.

The LOC info isn't wrong, they have two cones in that diameter - you have the long one. The short one (as supplied with the Mini-Magg) has an exposed length of 13". Did you buy the cone from LOC?

My garage has gotten really bad. I have to move stuff off the bandsaw to use it. But I put it on the sander, then have to move it to use that. Then clear off the drill press. And I've given up on the table saw and router table. Pretty pathetic.

I'm in the same boat, maybe we could race each other to get motivated?

The LOC info isn't wrong, they have two cones in that diameter - you have the long one. The short one (as supplied with the Mini-Magg) has an exposed length of 13". Did you buy the cone from LOC?

Yep, you're right. I got the long one. I just double checked, and they charged me for the short one.

That rocket is ginormous!

If it won't fit inside the van you're going to have to strap it to the roof to transport it.

Does your van have a roof rack?

Nice looking build!!!

I went with a LOC magnum for my L2 flight, this Saturday if weather cooperates!!

I think as long as you have a 5 or 60 gr motor you should be fine.

I went with a 54mm, CTI case was $67, but motor will be around $90...

I did go ahead with an aeropack adapter so I can use my 5 gr CTI case for a tad cheaper 38mm to fly it on.

Keep the build pics comin!!

Thought about a wrap from Mark at stickershock?

That rocket is ginormous!

If it won't fit inside the van you're going to have to strap it to the roof to transport it.

Does your van have a roof rack?

:lol: I think Ross did that once at a Snow Ranch launch. I always wondered if he got pulled over on the way there or home...

It'll fit in the van in two pieces. I'll just have to make room for the massive fin span.

Nice looking build!!!

I went with a LOC magnum for my L2 flight, this Saturday if weather cooperates!!

I think as long as you have a 5 or 60 gr motor you should be fine.

I went with a 54mm, CTI case was $67, but motor will be around $90...

I did go ahead with an aeropack adapter so I can use my 5 gr CTI case for a tad cheaper 38mm to fly it on.

Keep the build pics comin!!

Thought about a wrap from Mark at stickershock?

The Magnum is a great rocket, and one of the kits I looked at before I decided to go the scratch route. Do you have any pics of yours? Good luck on your flight Saturday!

Yes, I ordered the decals from Mark, they should be here this week. Not a wrap, they're upscales of the original Estes decals. I think it's going to look awesome!

My daughter was helping me with the shot, she wasn't up to being a model so she stood behind it.

I did a full wrap from Mark, and I can see you don't really need that for yours, just have wraps on the brain! LOL

2012-09-01 18.14.43.jpg

My daughter was helping me with the shot, she wasn't up to being a model so she stood behind it.

I did a full wrap from Mark, and I can see you don't really need that for yours, just have wraps on the brain! LOL

That looks awesome! That big of a wrap would scare me to death. I'd be afraid I'd screw it up.

It's easier than you think, just takes two people, no way around that with one this big!! LOL

My wife came up with the idea, we laid it out on our dinning room table (the wrap, all 8 yards of it) and basically 'rolled' the rocket onto the wrap, no wet technique used.

The fin can was pre measured and marked by Mark, so that was easy to cut out and apply individually just as you would with normal vinyl decals.

My wife came up with the idea, we laid it out on our dinning room table (the wrap, all 8 yards of it) and basically 'rolled' the rocket onto the wrap, no wet technique used.

The fin can was pre measured and marked by Mark, so that was easy to cut out and apply individually just as you would with normal vinyl decals.

Well, however you did it, it turned out great. I still wouldn't want to try it myself, though.

Considering that the biggest parachute I've used so far is 48", this is huge to me! It's a 70" Top Flight that I got off Ebay.

118_chute.jpg

119_chute.jpg

That's a bit bigger than the one I have, so you should have a nice soft landing!!!

Mine is a 60, just hope it can handle the 10lbs...lol

YUP,shes a big one. Anything bigger than a cluster of 3 E-9s is big to me. :lol:
Looking real good and looks like a fun build.

That's a bit bigger than the one I have, so you should have a nice soft landing!!!

Mine is a 60, just hope it can handle the 10lbs...lol

I think Open Rocket said 20 or 21 FPS with a 70" chute.

Back