Dr. Zooch Rockets headed for Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Museum!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke strawwalker

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, Wes over at Dr. Zooch contacted me about building some kits for display at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Museum. I jumped at the chance... It took a little longer than I figured it would, but I've had a lot of irons in the fire lately around here, and I wanted to do absolutely top-notch work, so I hope it was worth the wait! They're now finished and I'll ship them back to Dr. Zooch, who'll then forward them on to the museum folks.

He asked me to do the EFT-1 with plain yellow flame fins, and the Jupiter C Explorer 1... I've done the EFT-1 beta build thread elsewhere here on the forum, and I have my own Jupiter C kit, but haven't built it yet... I'll do a build thread on that one when I build my own... it's pretty straightforward anyway, other than having to shape the nosecone a bit with sandpaper to make the adapters for the Explorer I satellite and the second stage motor cover...

I went a little beyond the instructions on the Explorer 1... the instructions call for the tip of the Explorer 1 satellite plain black, when in reality the front half (the instrument compartment) was covered with alternating black and white stripes for thermal control purposes (to keep the instruments from either freezing or broiling). The rear half of Explorer 1 was the solid rocket motor casing, which was white. Since the Explorer 1 in this kit is a 1/8 inch dowel, the instructions have your forego attempting to paint the stripes and simply paint the front half black. I figured I'd try doing the stripes, and if it didn't work, I could always just paint it black... I had some trim monokote, so I cut a ~1 millimeter strip off the end of the sheet, and cut each stripe individually, cut the forward end to a point (since they went up the nosecone to just below the rounded tip, which was white) and then individually fitted them. It's not the scale number of stripes (don't recall ATM how many there were and I'm not bothering to dig out the ROTW which would probably tell me) but I put five stripes on it, so it's got five black and five white. At least it gives the effect of how the real thing looked. It was also about the best someone could do at this scale with trim monokote anyway, because working with stuff this small is like doing hemorrhoid surgery on a gnat... or an ant, as the case may be... LOL:)

I papered the fins on the Jupiter C... the fins are built up from two seperate pieces-- the inner main fin section, with a wedge-shaped leading edge sanded in beforehand, and the outer rectangular steering fin, again with the wedge airfoil sanded into the leading edge beforehand, then each section is papered individually as mentioned in my other threads... then the fin parts are all trimmed of excess paper as shown in the Vanguard Eagle thread, and then lightly sanded along the edges to dress the edges of any paper hairs or dried excess glue. Then the outer steering fin is glued to the inner main fin. I painted the fins flat white, let them dry thoroughly, and then applied a thin layer of white glue to the fin roots for double-glue joints, and let that dry. Then I laid out the fins according to the painting guide and masked off the appropriate sides on two of the fins, which are black on one side and white on the other, and stuck them down to a piece of doubled-up tape sticky side out stuck to cardboard painting sticks to be sprayed black on the appropriate sides, plus one fin is sprayed black on both sides (and one fin remains white on both sides). This worked very well and gave the fins a nice, matching flat finish on both sides, something that wouldn't have been achievable brush painting them with black Testor's bottle paint. I applied a thin layer of white glue to the wrap where the fins would attach, and let that dry, then double glue-jointed the fins to the body tube. The launch lug was cut in half per the instructions, only I cut the ends at an angle to make them look better, and then glued them onto the model with white glue, on the back next to the main body tube wrap seam... Went back and put "microfillets" on them with white glue in a syringe...

Anyway, here's the pics... enjoy! OL JR :)

DSCF0224.jpgDSCF0225.jpgDSCF0226.jpgDSCF0227.jpgDSCF0228.jpg

Last edited:
And the last four...

DSCF9981.jpgDSCF9982.jpgDSCF9983.jpgDSCF9984.jpg

I don't usually use filler and really sand out and double prime flame fins for flying rockets, since they're "not really supposed to be there" (IRL, but have to be for the rocket to fly stably) but since these are made especially for display, I went ahead and did the full CWF/double primer routine on them to get them all nice and shiny...

Later! OL JR :)

Very impressive workmanship old friend ,you`ve made the good Doctor very proud ,he did indeed choose the right man for the job :handshake:

Sincerely

Paul T

Very impressive workmanship old friend ,you`ve made the good Doctor very proud ,he did indeed choose the right man for the job :handshake:

Sincerely

Paul T

Thanks... they're not perfect, but I'm pretty pleased with them... hopefully they will be too...

And hopefully my skills will improve with time... :)

Taken into account that parts are cut by hand and transitions rolled and all the bits and parts scratch made ,not to mention the size and scale.

That`s pretty impressive in my eyes !

Paul T

Luke,
these look GREAT!! you did a great job with them!! did you use basswood for the parts on the Jupiter C? just outstanding!

Luke,
these look GREAT!! you did a great job with them!! did you use basswood for the parts on the Jupiter C? just outstanding!

I used basswood for the rocket fairings up near the front of the Redstone... there's four of them, roughly triangular in shape... I just cut them out and used the hobby knife to "whittle" them down to size, IE, the shape, and then shaving the front away to make it pointed and tapered down to a point where it joins the Redstone. I probably should have done a little extra sanding on them but they looked pretty darn good as it was, and I was at the point I had the fins ready to paint, so I just went straight to paint with them. I sanded them lightly to smooth them out a bit, then stuck them down on a cardboard paint stick on a piece of masking tape looped back on itself sticky side out... this would hold them down firmly and protect the bottoms from getting painted, so there would be bare wood to glue them to the rocket. I hit them with about three coats of paint, let them dry, traced around them with a hobby knife to "cut the paint" before I peeled them up off the tape (otherwise the paint will crack or rip off the tape, leaving "flakes" of paint around the edges, and can possibly crack up the sides of the parts, messing up the finish-- cutting the paint where the part is stuck to the tape avoids this... Then a few swipes over some 220 grit sandpaper just to dress the back and clean up the edges of the paint before gluing them onto the rocket with white glue... You ALWAYS want to use white glue for gluing these types of parts onto a rocket that uses pre-colored body wraps like this, because it dries clear-- If the rocket will be painted over the details, I then prefer yellow wood glue... because the paint will cover the yellow discoloration around the part and on the surface of the tube from the yellow glue. The little medicine measuring syringe with the Testor's "glue tips" popped on the end of it worked GREAT for applying "micro-fillets" around the parts to the wrap sheet, without getting glue everywhere... highly recommended!

The EFT-1 took the vast majority of the time... I've only been working on the Jupiter C Explorer 1 for this past week... and didn't get to work on it at all for at least 2 days this week... which is fine, since I try to time the build so that parts are gluing up or paint is drying overnight when I might not get a chance to work on it the next day... where the extra drying time will work to advantage... so I jump around a lot in the instructions... and of course papering the fins is an extra step, and the Jupiter C's fins are "built up" from two different parts glued together, and I needed drying time for them, and then the painting of the fins, let the dry well, then mask them off, and shoot the black paint where needed... as well as the work on the nosecone, which I CA hardened, allowed to cure, glued together the centering rings and short tube of the second stage "motor tub", and then primed it three times, sanded it twice, painted it, then did the stripes on it (the band below the second stage "motor tub" around the top of the conical section at the top of the Redstone is the black paper "ring" from the Zooch wrap sheets, but the stripes on the motor tub itself and the Explorer I satellite are Trim Monokote, and of course once all this was done, I gave it two coats of clearcoat to lock all the stripes down to the Explorer I and motor tub to prevent them from possibly "rubbing off" at some point... I don't have a lot of experience with how "permanent" Trim Monokote adhesive is, especially on parts THIS SMALL! Those stripes on the tip of the Explorer I are about 1 millimeter wide by one centimeter long, with one end cut to a point... I then put another 1mm black trim monokote band around the stripes at the base of them. The clear should keep all this stuff locked down and protected...

I had briefly considered actually masking off the stripes on the Explorer 1 with Tamiya tape (which worked beautifully to do the fine masking on my "Friendship 7" Mercury Atlas build awhile back) and then shooting it with the regular black walmart 99 cent a can colorplace paint I used for the rest of the build (white or black). BUT, I figured getting the tiny white stripes masked off and then painting the black ones, and then having to peel all that tiny masking off, was almost certain to end up with some goofs, which would defeat the purpose, so I just decided to go with the trim monokote, since I had picked up a few sheets of different colors when I was at the hobby shop awhile back...

Anyway, glad you guys like them... Hope Wes is pleased and the museum especially...

Beautiful work

Ah man I miss Florida even more now! When I was at KSC I had a couple chances to do some work on the Delta II pads (SLC 17) right next to the museum. We'd usually take a long lunch and wander around after the work was done. I heard they were planing an off base building, does anyone know if this has been opened yet? We're planning on a trip back some time and I need to make the list of places to go.

Thanks guys... we'll see what Wes thinks when he gets them... (I hope-- it'd be my luck USPS will take a crap while they're in route and lose them or something... oh well, at least I insured them for $50... I probably should have put the $200 coverage on them... didn't know it was the same price!)

These will be the displays for the kits in the gift shop(s). I knew Luke would do a lot better job than I could... I was right!!

Back