Finally getting my workshop back! (Spouse project...)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Well, finally getting the major portion of my workshop back after about 6 mos. As a favor to my wife I told her that I would refinish an antique dresser that her grandmother had in their house 40+ years ago. My error was that I made the statement before seeing the thing. It had been sitting in a storage shed for over 25 years and suffered water damage, lost pieces (see two newly made drawers), and typical chips/dings, loose joints, etc.--ragged to say the least! After trying to renege on my commitment, I decided after much contemplation to attack it.

IMG_0003_sm.jpg

IMG_0482_sm.jpg

IMG_0483_sm.jpg

Well, finally getting the major portion of my workshop back after about 6 mos. As a favor to my wife I told her that I would refinish an antique dresser that her grandmother had in their house 40+ years ago. My error was that I made the statement before seeing the thing. It had been sitting in a storage shed for over 25 years and suffered water damage, lost pieces (see two newly made drawers), and typical chips/dings, loose joints, etc.--ragged to say the least! After trying to renege on my commitment, I decided after much contemplation to attack it.

Oh man. I don't envy you!

Refinishing can be long and tedious work. I remember my father and I refinished an old ice box. Man that took forever.

Congrats on finishing it.

After tons of Googling and consulting a client of mine that owns a high-end woodshop, I dove in. Having no experience in with furniture finishing, not to mention furniture rebuilding, I was learning (groping) as I went. Surprisingly, some rocketry techniques helped out on some of the issues, especially glue selection and filling. One example was the veneer... When I tried to remove it about 60% came off with some elbow grease, but ~40% remained as was not going anywhere. I didn't want to ruin the frame type look of the overall dresser panels, so I decided to leave the sections that couldn't be removed and fill them in. Not so easy. The first two polymer fillers recommended by my wood experts did not work and popped off in chunks. Finally I decided to go the epoxy route and purchased some Kleer Kote from US Composites. A couple of applications of that sanded well and filled with my rocket filler and I got a level enough finish to apply the new red oak veneer with confidence. Well, not so much confidence as I used some of the permanent 3M spray adhesive. Applying big 5'x2.5' sheets in one shot (and no way to remove it) was nerve-racking.

IMG_0158_sm.jpg

IMG_0749_sm.jpg

Last edited:
So after much trial and error. Six coats of finish. Buffing 'til blue in the face with furniture wax (using steel wool to match the old antique type finish). I finally completed it last night. Hard to see in the picture, but the amoire door is actually arched/curved. Pretty interesting piece of furniture really. (But still can't wait to move it out of the workshop!).

IMG_0972_sm.jpg

IMG_0978_sm.jpg

IMG_0976_sm.jpg

Last edited:
My congrats on a job well done. Have fun in all your newly acquired free space. I see a BFR taking shape in there soon.

Nice Job. That looked like a lost cause at the beginning...

Very nice indeed! Now your wife owes you a favor of six months of unfettered rocket building...and launching.:)

Wow- thats amazing. Someone has some brownie points now to spend . So whats the next build?

Back