First scale scratch build, the Astrobee D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful Jim ,absolutely beautiful !! The rocket is taking shape nicely ,and I do like the fact you are adding some super detail ,great touch.The aluminum launch shoes you made are really going to make the look as will the screws in the payload bay........I LIKE IT !!

Paul t

Jim, I have to agree with Paul t,what a beautiful rocket!Congrats on them asking you to display this amazing looking build.You have made us all VERY PROUD to have you as a friend and fellow rocket builder.Can't wait to see the finished product.

Beautiful Jim ,absolutely beautiful !! The rocket is taking shape nicely ,and I do like the fact you are adding some super detail ,great touch.The aluminum launch shoes you made are really going to make the look as will the screws in the payload bay........I LIKE IT !!

Paul t

Jim, I have to agree with Paul t,what a beautiful rocket!Congrats on them asking you to display this amazing looking build.You have made us all VERY PROUD to have you as a friend and fellow rocket builder.Can't wait to see the finished product.

Wow, that's certainly high praise, coming from you guys. But I'm not even in the same league when it comes to scale builds. Lets wait and reserve judgement until after paint. LOL

You just had to say PAINT didn`t you ? Are trying to temp and anger the paint gods or something ?

I myself had a small flying aphid problem the other day.Seems they like lacquer in white AND red .........white being their favorite 3:1 :eyeroll:

Take care Jim

Paul t

You just had to say PAINT didn`t you ? Are trying to temp and anger the paint gods or something ?

I myself had a small flying aphid problem the other day.Seems they like lacquer in white AND red .........white being their favorite 3:1 :eyeroll:

Take care Jim

Paul t

Well Paul, paint has to come into play sooner or later. The paint gods know it as well as I do. All I can do is hope I catch them on a good day. I've found that flying bugs prefer white, and spiders prefer black. Stupid bugs.

Looking great Captain! Love the detail, wish I had the patience for something like that.

Looking great Captain! Love the detail, wish I had the patience for something like that.

You guys are going to make me blush. What I'm doing is really not that big a deal. It doesn't require patience or skill so much as power tools. But thank you for the compliments.

I finally ordered some forged eyebolts from McMaster-Carr. Regular eyebolts probably would have been okay on this, but these are too cool not to use on this cool rocket! (I know, I'm weird.)

I got one of the eyebolts attached to the baffle plate, and the baffle epoxied into the coupler. I use 1/2" nylon spacers to push the baffle into the coupler and make sure it's level.

forged_eyebolts.jpg

182_baffle.jpg

185_baffle.jpg

187_baffle.jpg

188_baffle.jpg

After the first epoxy had set, I put a fillet around the face of the baffle in the coupler. I used a second forged eyebolt in the forward bulkhead. With a star washer and nylon locknut, I didn't think I'd need to coat the nut with epoxy. Then I got my bulkhead tools ready: a long 3/8" dowel, a 17" long piece of ABS plastic pipe, and epoxy. The dowel is marked at 17", so I can apply epoxy inside the body tube at the correct depth. Then the plastic pipe pushes the bulkhead into the body tube to the correct position, and keeps it level. I've found that the epoxy doesn't stick to the pipe.

189_baffle.jpg

190_baffle.jpg

191_bulkhead.jpg

192_bulkhead.jpg

193_bulkhead.jpg

I always make sure I put a lot of epoxy inside the body tube for the bulkhead. Then I use a smaller 1/4" dowel to smear the epoxy around edge of the bulkhead before it sets. And finally, I got the external fin fillets applied last night.

194_bulkhead.jpg

195_bulkhead.jpg

198_external_fillets.jpg

199_external_fillets.jpg

Got my signature messy internal fillets applied. Using the 1/2" nylon spacers and a 3" square wood block, I got the aft centering ring epoxied in. And finally applied epoxy fillets to the outside of the aft ring and motor mount tube.

203_internal_fillets.jpg

206_spacers.jpg

208_spacers.jpg

209_aft_ring.jpg

210_aft_ring.jpg

Using a homemade 3" drum sander, I sanded radii in the decorative launch lugs. I also got the coupler epoxied into the fin can.

211_coupler.jpg

200_lugs.jpg

201_lugs.jpg

I must say, the screws on the payload section alone give it a sounding rocket look. The lugs look too big and clunky to me, but believe it or not, they're half scale. I have drawings with dimensions. I'm pretty happy overall. But tomorrow (gasp!) the painting begins.

220_outside.jpg

229_outside.jpg

230_outside.jpg

231_outside.jpg

Captain that is just the coolest thing! Well done!!! Accolades abound! Long live the Captain!!! Whooo hooo!!!

Ahem... sorry I got carried away. Anyway great job!
:wave:
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Captain that is just the coolest thing! Well done!!! Accolades abound! Long live the Captain!!! Whooo hooo!!!

Ahem... sorry I got carried away. Anyway great job!
:wave:
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Oh stop it, Jeff! I appreciate the compliments, but it's nowhere near the level of craftsmanship I see on here.

Started the paint yesterday. Got the fins sealed and sanded, and the primer applied. Originally, I was going to paint the payload section and nose cone separately. But apparently enough CA seeped in through the screw holes to glue the nose cone to the payload section. Oh well, a little more masking in my future.

232_sealer.jpg

233_sealer.jpg

234_primer.jpg

235_primer.jpg

238_primer.jpg

There was a spot of epoxy on one of the fins, that I didn't see until it was primered. I sanded it and repainted it, but it was still noticeable. When I sanded it the second time, the primer started to gum up. So I'll sand it more this afternoon, after the primer has had more time to cure.

236_sanded.jpg

237_sanded.jpg

239_sanded.jpg

I've seen photos of several different color schemes on the original Astrobee-D. I've decided to go with a khaki nose cone, dark gray payload section, light gray fins, and gold launch lugs.

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

11.jpg

I had to scrape the lumps of primer off with a knife, but I finally got the spot on the fin smooth. I re-primered it, and sprayed the gloss white on the body tube. That's Lexi in the background, wondering why stupid humans spend so much time on things you can't eat.

240_sanded.jpg

241_gloss_white.jpg

243_fin.jpg

244_gloss_white.jpg

Got the dark gray painted on the payload section, and the gloss white on the upper body tube.

245_gray.jpg

246_gray.jpg

247_gray.jpg

248_gloss_white.jpg

249_gloss_white.jpg

Looking good! I'm already jealous - outdoor painting season is pretty much over in my neighborhood.:(

It's coming along. Looks better with some paint on it. No major paint mishaps so far, knock on wood. I went ahead and painted the tip of the nose cone red. Hopefully I can mask it, since it will taper down below the masking tape. That's my theory, anyway.

253_outside.jpg

254_red.jpg

Looking good! I'm already jealous - outdoor painting season is pretty much over in my neighborhood.:(

I would gladly trade you our outdoor painting season for your rocket launching season!

I would gladly trade you our outdoor painting season for your rocket launching season!

Oh yeah, forgot about your situation with that.:blush: On the other hand, I think you'd even consider trading painting for a root canal!

Oh yeah, forgot about your situation with that.:blush: On the other hand, I think you'd even consider trading painting for a root canal!

Well, after my last root canal, I think I'd choose paint...

This is an awesome build thread. The attention to detail, and the craftsmanship. Fantastic.

She is looking really nice - I can't wait to see this fly!!

Back