First scale scratch build, the Astrobee D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some playing around with the #3 screws and 3/16" countersink I bought for the payload section. I think they're going to work out great.

104_countersink.jpg

105_countersink.jpg

106_countersink.jpg

107_countersink.jpg

That's what they cost. The Aeropacks are similar in price. That's why I haven't bought one before now. Tee nuts and my homemade clips work just as well. I was thinking this might look better on the Astrobee, but I don't know if I want to use it like this.
Go with your gut feelings,if your not sure, use what you know will work.That's how I am.It will look great no matter what.

Go with your gut feelings,if your not sure, use what you know will work.That's how I am.It will look great no matter what.

I'll probably go with my homemade clips. I already have the tee nuts installed and epoxied in the aft centering ring.

Since I have no way of bending a radius in the bottom of the lugs to match the body, I epoxied some 3/16" thick balsa to the bottoms. It should be relatively easy to sand the radius in the balsa.

I love this technique; never would have thught of that... in fact, I didn't. Nice job!!

This is turning out to be a slow build, and that's the way I want it. I won't be able to launch it until October or November, anyway. I want to take my time and do it right.

I cut the body tube, payload section, and motor tube to length with the miter saw. I also cut a section off the nose cone shoulder. It was too long, and I'll need to put a bulkhead inside it.

108_body_tube.jpg

109_payload_section.jpg

110_nose_cone.jpg

111_motor_tube.jpg

Jim,It's coming along just fine.Taking things slow are best.I get in trouble because I don't think things out and mess up.Always in a hurry.I'm feeling great after my surgery and will be home tomorrow.Thanks for the prayers my friend,they were a blessing.

One thing I'm concerned about, is something I've never done before. I need to paint the tip of the nose cone a different color. Not sure how I'm going to mask it.

You could try to use an Estes or similar paper shroud transfer as a guide, I don't think the shroud itself will fit tight enough as a mask but I would apply the Tamiya yellow masking tape onto the cone, then use the shroud as a guide to carefully cut around the masking tape. I like the idea of using a rubber band or rubber gasket also.

Last edited:
Jim,It's coming along just fine.Taking things slow are best.I get in trouble because I don't think things out and mess up.Always in a hurry.I'm feeling great after my surgery and will be home tomorrow.Thanks for the prayers my friend,they were a blessing.

Hey Carl, glad you're feeling great after the surgery!

I using a Nook and it not the best thing to use to type with fat fingers.I should be home tomorrow kind of over did my rehab and have some swelling but that's going to happen.Anyway really like your build,Jim this is going to be cool build that should be a great flyer.There is nothing wrong with a slow well thought out build.Talk to you later,Carl.

I using a Nook and it not the best thing to use to type with fat fingers.I should be home tomorrow kind of over did my rehab and have some swelling but that's going to happen.Anyway really like your build,Jim this is going to be cool build that should be a great flyer.There is nothing wrong with a slow well thought out build.Talk to you later,Carl.

You have wireless at the hospital? That's pretty cool!

You could try to use an Estes or similar paper shroud transfer as a guide, I don't think the shroud itself will fit tight enough as a mask but I would apply the Tamiya yellow masking tape onto the cone, then use the shroud as a guide to carefully cut around the masking tape. I like the idea of using a rubber band or rubber gasket also.

Yeah, I haven't decided yet how I'm going to do it. There are several methods, and since I've never done it before, I don't know which would work better. I need to talk to my brother-in-law too, he's a fantastic model builder. He might have some ideas.

I got the fins cut out today. I used the 3/16" plywood I got from BalsaUSA, and they turned out better than I expected. I think they're plenty flat enough. As usual, I pinned the blanks together so I could cut them out all at once on the bandsaw.

112_fins.jpg

113_fins.jpg

114_fins.jpg

115_fins.jpg

116_fins.jpg

Leaving the fins pinned together, I match sanded them on the stationary belt sander. Even though they're pretty flat, I clamped them to the steel table on my sander. I'll leave them clamped over night.

117_fins.jpg

118_fins.jpg

119_fins.jpg

120_fins.jpg

121_fins.jpg

I got the forward centering ring epoxied to the motor tube, using a piece of plastic pipe as a guide.

122_motor_mount.jpg

123_motor_mount.jpg

I cut another scale launch lug, this time with the bandsaw table at 35 degrees. Good thing the H bar was 6 feet long! I think it looks better. It's the one in the middle.

124_lugs.jpg

125_lugs.jpg

126_lugs.jpg

127_lug_epoxy.jpg

128_lug_epoxy.jpg

Jim, I am sure you have covered this before but I guess I missed it. With your technique of pinning the fin blanks together, are the pins just friction fit, where you can drive them out when all your match sanding is done, or are they glued in so you have to drill them out? Thanks, dude, your build is looking great! John.

Jim, I am sure you have covered this before but I guess I missed it. With your technique of pinning the fin blanks together, are the pins just friction fit, where you can drive them out when all your match sanding is done, or are they glued in so you have to drill them out? Thanks, dude, your build is looking great! John.

Thanks for the compliment, John! I don't glue the pins in, they're just friction fit. I cut them from a length of 1/4" hardwood dowel.

I'm pretty happy with the scale lug version 3. I think it'll look good when it's finished.

131_lug.jpg

132_lug.jpg

133_lug.jpg

I got the forward motor mount centering ring epoxied in the lower body tube. Also got the three half moon baffles epoxied in. I coated the sides that face the motor with epoxy, to help them resist the heat.

130_motor_mount.jpg

134_baffles.jpg

137_baffle.jpg

139_baffle.jpg

135_baffle.jpg

Great looking detail Jim,2 builds at the same time.Your the man buddy.

I bet you guys forgot about this build! It's been a few months, but I'm back to work on it. My brother-in-law works at Aerojet, and they're going to have a booth at some function at an Air Force base. They want to display my Astrobee-D there, so I have less than a week to get it done. I better get busy!

I flooded the coupler with CA as usual, and sanded and polished it on the lathe. I also flooded the inside of the body tube with CA, and sanded it smooth.

140_coupler.jpg

141_body_tube.jpg

142_coupler.jpg

144_coupler.jpg

145_coupler.jpg

I cut some balsa rounds from the balsa that Bill gave me. I need bulkheads in the nose cone and coupler for the screws that will be in the payload section.

147_bulkhead.jpg

148_bulkhead.jpg

150_bulkhead.jpg

151_bulkhead.jpg

152_bulkhead.jpg

There will be two rows of screws in the payload section, 12 at the top and bottom. I printed a drilling guide, made with two fin wraps I created at Payloadbay.com. I also made a simple jig to hold it on the drill press, so the holes would all be the same distance from the edges.

153_screws.jpg

154_screws.jpg

155_jig.jpg

156_jig.jpg

157_jig.jpg

The screws are 3-48 stainless flathead machine screws that I got from Microfasteners.com. I drilled 5/64" holes for them, which is slightly undersized. Then I countersunk all the holes. There's a lot of them!

159_screws.jpg

161_screws.jpg

163_screws.jpg

164_countersink.jpg

166_countersink.jpg

The holes were a little messy from the countersink, so I put a drop of CA in each of them. That allowed me to sand them smooth, and clean them up with the countersink by hand. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

167_screws.jpg

169_ca.jpg

170_screws.jpg

171_screws.jpg

172_screws.jpg

Back