Polecat Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaycee

Reaction score
Finished my Polecat 'sorta-scale' Mercury Redstone today. Decals are from Stickershock and paint is Rustoleum professional enamel. It is set up for dual-deployment with a single PerfectFlite SL100. Main will come out of the upper section. I did this because the rocket will fly with the tower, and I want the weight of the booster to be on the ground before the capsule does, giving the capsule a nice slow and hopefully soft landing.

I did a few improvements to the capsule/tower combination. I drilled into the top of the capsule and most of the way through the poplar escape motor where I glued in a 1/2" Lexan rod. It is potted into the upper 2" or so of the capsule. The result is a tower/capsule that is very strong and the Lexan is almost invisible.

Here's a few pictures:

red1.jpg

red2.jpg

red3.jpg

red4.jpg

red5.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome! What motor do you plan on putting it up on for its first flight?

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::clap:

Thanks!

Looks awesome! What motor do you plan on putting it up on for its first flight?

Thanks! I built the Redstone using Titebond to keep it light. I only used epoxy in the capsule to pot the Lexan rod and threaded rod for the removeable bulkhead. It's removable to add whatever weight will be needed based on motor choice. As for your question, I'm planning on a CTI J295 or K360 for the maiden flight, just depends on the wind.

Last edited:
i love polecat kits. i'm buying 2 sections of 10" airframe from them.

can't wait to see this one lift off :)

i love polecat kits. i'm buying 2 sections of 10" airframe from them.

can't wait to see this one lift off :)

Polecat kits hold a special place in my heart. I built a Nike Smoke many years ago that I flew for my TRA L2. They are a nice departure from the G10/12 FG kits that have saturated the market for HP.

BTW, I have already started the build on my next project.

This one will take a little more time to complete than did the Redstone. :D

Sat1.jpg

Sat2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. I was thinking of getting one too.

Question, what are you using for motor retention? I looked at the instructions and it looks like the fins butt up against the MMT.... Is there room for an aeropack on there?

Kevin.

Looks great. I was thinking of getting one too.
Question, what are you using for motor retention? I looked at the instructions and it looks like the fins butt up against the MMT.... Is there room for an aeropack on there?
Kevin.

Thanks, Kevin. Yes there is room for retention--plenty in fact. I have a standard Aeropack retainer (for Loc airframe) and I have 1/2" between the retainer ring and the inboard finlets.

red6.jpg

I agree with the rest here when they say it`s a great looking build, very nice !

I`ve built several Polecat kits and like them very much, and great subject matter and a good selection of sizes.

I look forward to your flight results.

Cheers

paul T

Is Polecat still in business? I tried to find their website but it came up with a page saying the URL was for sale.

Anybody got a link to their site?

You need to go to What's Up Hobbies. Jack will be more than happy to help you out.
GP

Indeed ,Jack is a great guy to talk to !! He has gone out of his way to help me out ,and my friend (who just ordered his first Polecat kit) has nothing but good things to say also.

Great kits !

Paul T

Launch pictures?!?!? Beautiful build...almost would hate to fly it.

I am also curious how the multi-part fins hold up, mainly for impact upon landing stress.

One thing I'd like to point out about this particular Polecat kit...

The instructions that are available on-line at What's Up Hobbies for the Redstone need to be updated. When you view the assembly manual, there may be a few steps that might be intimidating for some--namely the escape tower. The Redstone I have differs from the instructions in that all of the wood components are now laser cut (a good thing). The -new- tower for the Redstone is completely different than the on-line pdf., and goes together easily using tab-in-slot construction. I simply laid the parts out on my work bench and stacked it together. It looked correct so I glued it together. The new tower is much stronger that the original wood dowel construction...and still looks good from 50'.:wink:

I enjoyed building mine...it's a great kit!

Launch pictures?!?!? Beautiful build...almost would hate to fly it.

I am also curious how the multi-part fins hold up, mainly for impact upon landing stress.

Mark, the Redstone will fly in a few weeks. I'll have 2 cameras on-board and hopefully someone will video the flight from the ground. I'll post an update post-flight. I'm still undecided on what motor I'll use. As for the fins, I'm not worried as the (3) 'chutes I'll be using should bring the Redstone back to earth at ~5 FPS. And if a fin breaks I'll glue it back on.

Last edited:
One thing I'd like to point out about this particular Polecat kit...

The instructions that are available on-line at What's Up Hobbies for the Redstone need to be updated. When you view the assembly manual, there may be a few steps that might be intimidating for some--namely the escape tower. The Redstone I have differs from the instructions in that all of the wood components are now laser cut (a good thing). The -new- tower for the Redstone is completely different than the on-line pdf., and goes together easily using tab-in-slot construction. I simply laid the parts out on my work bench and stacked it together. It looked correct so I glued it together. The new tower is much stronger that the original wood dowel construction...and still looks good from 50'.:wink:

I enjoyed building mine...it's a great kit!

Great info--thanks for passing it along. What I saw in the instructions online did deter me from that kit a bit, mainly with the launch tower. But, your build's giving me the itch to build one again. The Estes Mercury Redstone was one of my absolute favorites as a kit.

Finally got to fly my Redstone at Southern Thunder '12 this past weekend. I chose a CTI J210 Classic load for a slow, magestic liftoff which proved to be a perfect choice. Unfortunately there was an issue during deploying the main chute resulting in a rather hard landing. The tower was damaged as well as 2 finlets, but the damage was minimal. Repairs will be easy and the Redstone will fly again soon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5F7Tw-q4uw&feature=channel&list=UL

Here's a few pictures to go along with the video of the flight of my 5.5" Mercury Redstone courtesy of Ray Cole, HARA President.

Thanks Ray!

Redstone_1.jpg

Redstone_2.jpg

Redstone_3.jpg

The Redstone fell to earth at ~55' per second. One finlet is missing (stuck in the sod) and a second one was broken-off but recovered. The tower is toast but I've already contacted Jack and will have replacement parts here soon. All things considered the damage was minimal.

Here's a picture of the damage....

Redstone_Damage.jpg

I received the replacement parts to repair the Redstone from Jack at What's Up Hobbies. I'll be re-using a few parts from the tower, and should have the repairs done within a week or so.

Next stop for the Redstone--AIRFest! :D

New Parts1.jpg

I received the replacement parts to repair the Redstone from Jack at What's Up Hobbies. I'll be re-using a few parts from the tower, and should have the repairs done within a week or so.

Next stop for the Redstone--AIRFest! :D

What motor(s) is/ar planned for this rocket at Airfest?

Latest posts

Back