Engine VS Motor....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
ENGINE:
A machine that converts mechanical motion into energy such as a steam engine or an internal combustion engine.

MOTOR:
Something that imparts motion such as an electric motor or a solid propellant rocket motor.

No further comments

JD

Devices converting heat energy into motion are referred to as engines,[3] which come in many types. A common type is a heat engine such as an internal combustion engine which typically burns a fuel with air and uses the hot gases for generating power. External combustion engines such as steam engines use heat to generate motion via a separate working fluid.

A common type of motor is the electric motor. This takes electrical energy and generates mechanical motion via varying electromagnetic fields.

Other motors including pneumatic motors that are driven by compressed air, and motors can be driven by elastic energy, such as springs. Some motors are driven by non combustive chemical reactions. Molecular motors like myosins in muscles generate useful mechanical motion in biological systems by chemical reactions like ATP hydrolysis. :tongue:

A rocket or rocket vehicle is a missile, spacecraft, aircraft or other vehicle which obtains thrust from a rocket engine. In all rockets, the exhaust is formed entirely from propellants carried within the rocket before use.[1] Rocket engines work by action and reaction. Rocket engines push rockets forwards simply by throwing their exhaust backwards extremely fast.

Rockets for military and recreational uses date back to at least 13th century China.[2] Significant scientific, interplanetary and industrial use did not occur until the 20th century, when rocketry was the enabling technology of the Space Age, including setting foot on the moon.

Rockets are used for fireworks, weaponry, ejection seats, launch vehicles for artificial satellites, human spaceflight and space exploration. While comparatively inefficient for low speed use, they are very lightweight and powerful, capable of generating large accelerations and of attaining extremely high speeds with reasonable efficiency.

Chemical rockets are the most common type of rocket and they typically create their exhaust by the combustion of rocket propellant. Chemical rockets store a large amount of energy in an easily released form, and can be very dangerous. However, careful design, testing, construction and use minimizes risks.

ENGINE:
A machine that converts mechanical motion into energy such as a steam engine or an internal combustion engine.

MOTOR:
Something that imparts motion such as an electric motor or a solid propellant rocket motor.

No further comments

JD

This begs the question-- Why do they call them train engines--true they used to be steam-- but now they are deisel/electric-- I'm just sayin? Perhaps we can just call everything a powerplant and call it good, but what fun would that be?:confused2:

In our context (hobby rocketry), by tradition the two words are synonymous and interchangeable.

In our context (hobby rocketry), by tradition the two words are synonymous and interchangeable.

And besides that, whether you are right or not, it's just not worth trying to go around correcting everything you see wrong on the internet

Or else you may as well also take up the charge against mis-use of:

There, they're, and their
To, too, and two
Its and it's
Sheer and shear
Mute and moot

Life is too short....or is that to short?

ENGINE:

MOTOR:

No further comments

JD

What about...

Motors VS. Engines!

Ha... I got ya there!:p:grin:

Sorry... I couldn't resist!

Back in the day, guys used to ask me what kind of engine was under the hood of my 71 T/A--I'd tell them and then motor off. We still call ships, planes,cars , etc --the old girl, she , my baby , the lady, Does someone want to change that too? FOR P C SAKE , GIVE IT A BREAK:kill:

And besides that, whether you are right or not, it's just not worth trying to go around correcting everything you see wrong on the internet

To, too, and two
Its and it's
Sheer and shear
Mute and moot

Loose and lose.
The and teh.

The words "motor" and "engine" have always been used in our hobby to mean exactly the same thing. It doesn't matter if the two terms have distinct meanings elsewhere. Just like all other specialized pursuits, we have developed our own jargon here, and in our peculiar lexicon, motor = engine = motor, and vice versa. ;)

To, too, and two
Its and it's
Sheer and shear
Mute and moot

Peak and Pique

Loose and lose.
The and teh.

The words "motor" and "engine" have always been used in our hobby to mean exactly the same thing. It doesn't matter if the two terms have distinct meanings elsewhere. Just like all other specialized pursuits, we have developed our own jargon here, and in our peculiar lexicon, motor = engine = motor, and vice versa. ;)

That's right Mark. It is accepted in American English to use both terms in reference to rockets. Estes calls them engines and Aerotech calls them motors. Honestly the English language has major problems. Like why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways? Why is it that motor vehicles have engines and not motors?

That's right Mark. It is accepted in American English to use both terms in reference to rockets. Estes calls them engines and Aerotech calls them motors. Honestly the English language has major problems. Like why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways? Why is it that motor vehicles have engines and not motors?
I don't know, ask the engineers... I can't answer that, even though I was born and raised in the Motor City.

ENGINE GUZZI--ENGINE MOUTH--ENGINE ON DOWN THE ROAD--THE LITTLE MOTOR THAT COULD--FIRE MOTOR--ENGINECYCLE-MOTOREER--ON A DIFFERENT NOTE---OUR ENGINES MAKE A TON OF HORSEPOWER BUT WE BLEW A HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE MOTOR:eek: I NEED TO GO MY MOTOR CHECK LIGHT IS ON :y:

From Rocket Propulsion Elements: "Historically, the word Engine is used for a liquid propellant rocket propulsion system and the word Motor is used for solid propellant rocket propulsion. They were developed originally by different groups."

Why Estes chose to go with Engine, I don't know. I just call 'em all "cylinders of awesomeness." :)

Based on that, I think I will go ahead and put that engine block in my motor mount tonight ...

meh... it all seems relative. My engineering stuff told me that if it was electiric it was a motor, if it was IC, or EC, it was an engine. if the dang thing is mechanical in nature, to produce its output force, it is an engine. anything else, is a motor.
As for trains? I call the new ones deisel/electric locomotives.. so.. :p

duty_calls.png

but I fully admit.. calling it a "rocket engine" does sound so much cooler.

from my lurking, I have noticed this is a point of contention.. that was my opinion on the mater.
glad you liked the cartoon old dude.. I was looking for some kind of appropriate LOLcat follow up but then decided that it's my friday night and its lazy time :D

I'm with NASA on this one:

Definitions from their website: https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/rocketry/home/rockets_stack_up_nf_prt.htm

Rocket engine -- A machine with moving parts that converts stored propellant into hot gases to produce thrust.

Solid fuel motor -- A simple device that converts stored propellant into hot gases to produce thrust.

Used in a sentance, here is NASA'S definition of the Delta II rocket:

A Delta II rocket has a rocket engine, two stages, a solid fuel motor, one interstage, a payload, an aerodynamic nose cap, avionics, a fuel tank and an oxidizer tank. A Delta II rocket does not have a parachute or stabilizing fins.

They've clearly delineated the difference between engine and motor.

This begs the question-- Why do they call them train engines--true they used to be steam-- but now they are deisel/electric-- I'm just sayin? Perhaps we can just call everything a powerplant and call it good, but what fun would that be?:confused2:

Actually as someone who has been interested in trains since I was five and has been in the model railroad hobby for better than 20 years; I know of no one that calls them “Train engines”.

Even total novices tend to call them “Locomotives” or “Diesel locomotives” to distinguish them from steam locomotives.

And yes they are in actuality diesel/electric locomotives using a large diesel engine, referred to as the “Prime mover” which is used to drive an alternator which provides current to the electric traction motors that are geared one to each axle. Thus an EMD Gp 40 would have a 3,000 hp diesel engine with four traction motors for its two, twin axle trucks, while an Sd 40 would have the same 3,000 hp engine but six traction motors for its two, three axel trucks.

Irregardlessly... this mental mastrubation is all the same, just sweat and shame.:D

Back