Liberator Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you possibly mean J295? Or are you demoing a motor at the same time?

I'm on my 2nd year of membership in the KLOUDBusters, and am following their tradition of flying Full Gs. Ergo, it's a G295. Much like I flew my Kloudbuster rocket on a G445 back in June. :)

-Kevin

Kevin,

LOOKING AWESOME..

If the surface you were putting the vinyl decal on was rough, that may have been the problem.

Something to try. First wipe it off with some alcohol to remove ANY grease etc.

Second Warm up the decal first (set it out in the sun) to soften it up a bit.

Last once applied use the hair dryer to apply a little heat, this might help it stick to the rough surface a little better.

Good luck.. that should SCREAM on that "G" motor..

If the surface you were putting the vinyl decal on was rough, that may have been the problem.

I suspect that's what it is. I'm going to remove the one bad sticker, then use some sandpaper to clean it up (fine grit, using water to remove the residue). Afterwards, I'll clean it well, then wipe with alcohol.

Something to try. First wipe it off with some alcohol to remove ANY grease etc.

Second Warm up the decal first (set it out in the sun) to soften it up a bit.

Yep, everything got wiped down with a lint-free rag and alcohol. I was doing this outside, so everything was plenty warm. It was humid and disgusting that day...

Good luck.. that should SCREAM on that "G" motor..

Oh, yeah!

-Kevin

Unfortunately, due to weather not cooperating, the Liberator didn't fly at LDRS. More wind than I really wanted to fly it in.

It's the midwest -- if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes. You may like it more, you may like it a whole lot less!

-Kevin

Here's the Liberator, all pimped out, and mostly ready to go!

IMG_0915.jpg

The blue square is the post-it with the CP location written on it, so I know where the CG has to be -- not really worried, since the nosecone is pretty hefty. But, since it hasn't flown, I want to be a bit cautious.

I'm hoping to give it its maiden flight at AirFest, this weekend. Will have to see how things work out.

-Kevin

Life is good! I just found a CTI K445 in the garage, so I even have the motor for it! :)

-Kevin

Liberator looks great Kevin!:clap: AND you found a motor?!?! Incredible! Man, I keep looking and haven't FOUND a big motor ever!:eek:Here's to a good flight!:cheers:

Oh, you mean I have to BUY a big motor in order to FIND it?..Now, ya tell me!LOL

Oh, you mean I have to BUY a big motor in order to FIND it?..Now, ya tell me!LOL

Yep! Same with quick links.... :)

Though I find big motors in Wildman's mobile crack house all the time....but he says he'd better find cash in his hand if I want to leave the premises with them... Unreasonable, I tell ya!

-Kevin

Seems kind of amaturish (sp?) posting a sideways pic...C'mon Kevin..... :lol:

Seriously, though... that looks awesome! Can't wait for flight pics.

Holy delays, Batman!

I make the nose cone for that almost 2 years ago!:surprised:

Alas, once again, weather prevented the Liberator from flying!

Saturday morning, I worked four hours of range duty, which left me pretty beat in the afternoon. Sunday morning, we flew the Redstone, which also left me beat.

I was too tired to want to prep the rocket, and haul it out to the pads.

-Kevin

I know what you mean. I was smoked by Sunday but I wasn't about to carry a rocket back that I didn't launch (even though I did with my Interceptor) but nothing was going to keep me from launching that Crossbow or Thor. I'm just glad they both landed right next to the pads they launched from.

So, the Liberator has only been built for over a year. Today, it finally flew! CTI K445 -- the rocket weighs 17pounds, fully loaded, so it needs something with enough oomph to get it up to speed, but not so much as to abuse it.

lib1.jpg

Things started out really nice.

....then about halfway through the burn, they went bad...

lib2.jpg

This is what I came to. I circled with red the spot where the upper tube got cut -- the harness was such that the upper landed first. This was intentional, as there's more weight there, and I didn't want it hitting the lower section, on the way down. Instead, the broken off fins on the lower section cut the upper.

lib3.jpg

Of course, with that mess, does it really matter? :p

We eventually found the third fin, which means I have all three pods, intact -- $60 worth of nosecones there, alone.

The upper tube is repairable -- I'd have to splice in a new section of tube, to replace the damaged section, which isn't a big deal. The lower, however, would have to be totally rebuilt.

I thought about fiberglassing it at the time I built it, and intentionally did not, as I didn't plan to get much velocity on it. Even the K445 didn't have it moving all that fast. But obviously, it was fast enough for the fins to fail. Big forward swept fins are tough!

-Kevin

Dang, sorry Kev. I soooo feel your pain. Been there done that. But a great lift off shot.

While it wasn't the optimal result, the thing I always tell people is, "If you can't afford to lose it, you can't afford to put it on the pad." That's both emotionally, and physically.

Cool as it is (and it is a damned cool design), in this scale, storage is a bit of a pain in the keister! That's the thing keeping me from immediately saying, I'll rebuild it -- the upper section is an easy fix, the lower would be a total rebuild. The important (and expensive) parts are all reusable.

-Kevin

Man, that sucks. I was really hoping for a better flight. You need to find the guy who originally designed that and give him a piece of your mind.

Man, that sucks. I was really hoping for a better flight. You need to find the guy who originally designed that and give him a piece of your mind.

It flew really well, even after shedding parts -- it was amazing how straight it went!

-Kevin

Maybe I should start breaking off the fins in some of the kits so they match, it could be the special "Kevin" edition. :)

Aww man! Sorry to hear that, that thing was beautiful!

Well, I guess it could still be beautiful, if you look at it from an artistic stand point :wink:

Braden

Back