SCALE - (AGM-88) HARM Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
Here is another TLP kit ,this time the AGM-88 HARM anti radiation Missile.This is another fine kit from TLP that lends itself to some super detailing.I added basswood fins instead of the supplied Balsa ,and fin strakes etc.

The decals are from Stickershock with some added monokote and pin striping and screw heads.As always ,I added aluminum can material inside the aft BT ,as many of the TLp kits have the MM recessed deeply for stability.This will help protect the BT from scortching.I also added rail buttons (as i do to most of my kits) and styrene standoffs.

Paul

phpD1b2CPPM.jpg

phpEltqQOPM.jpg

phpEuIdAEPM.jpg

phpi4f873PM.jpg

phpmnLCTMPM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks absolutely awesome.

Does it need a lot of noseweight with those canards?

That looks absolutely awesome.

Does it need a lot of noseweight with those canards?

Kind of you to say ,thankyou !

I added what came with the kit ,but will have to add more come flight time ,so I`ll have to do a CP/CG check very carefully. These things could get pretty unstable me thinks plus my added use of some epoxy and substituded basswood etc.
Guess I`ll find out come spring.:confused:

regards

Paul T

Holy cow :eyepop:

Great job!

Way off-topic: first photo, rifle in the middle, with bayonet: Ross?

VERY nice job on the build and finishing!

I had to look twice at those pix to see whether I was looking at a model or at one of the real things!

Holy cow :eyepop:

Great job!

Way off-topic: first photo, rifle in the middle, with bayonet: Ross?

The gun is a Russian 1944 Mossin Nagant carbine .

Thanks for you kind words everybody ;)

Paul

You are my idol! What a gorgeous model! I want to learn how to do details like you. Perhaps a thread showing how you create that cool stuff?

You are my idol! What a gorgeous model! I want to learn how to do details like you. Perhaps a thread showing how you create that cool stuff?

I`ll do a couple of build threads on this and another TLP kit......but I must say ,seeing other peoples stuff on these forums ,my builds are not all that great....just good enough for me ;)

Take care

paul

I`ll do a couple of build threads on this and another TLP kit......but I must say ,seeing other peoples stuff on these forums ,my builds are not all that great....just good enough for me ;)

Take care

paul

That's the way I tend to feel about my own builds. I know that there are some real artists around here and that I am not one of them...

...but you are!

:cheers::cheers:

Thanks John ,I can just hardly wait to retire from work....and do some REAL building :D

Paul

How much nose ballast does that thing need to be stable?

The kit came with a small piece of clay ,but I will probably need to add more because of my use of epoxy and other modifications.
I`ll have to do a CP/CG check before I fly it ,which will be on an AT E single use.

Paul

I finally got the nerve to build this kit.

sodmiester's detailed build threads gave me the confidence to tackle this great kit.

This is the one TLP offering that does not have a "hat" on the nosecone but it does have a tail cone that is a paper shroud.

I felt confident enough to build it so I went for it.

I was able to get some templates from the web that included a nice one from Carl Tulanko that I saw on a review by him and some airplane nose art from WWII that I modified.

I then made decals on clear waterslide paper using my laser printer. I really am enjoying making my own decals.

I also incorporated a few mods. Estes 24mm retainer, a baffle in place of the coupler, and papered fins using Avery label stock.

I now believe I can try a TLP kit that has the nose cone hat. I am ordering a Harpoon for my next TLP build.

Here are some pix:

Cheers!!

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the SCALE (AGM-88) HARM Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the SCALE (AGM-88) HARM and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

TLP: HARM AGM-88A: K016

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The AGM-88 High-speed Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM) is a tactical, air-to-surface missile designed to home in on electronic transmissions coming from surface-to-air radar systems. It was originally developed by Texas Instruments as a replacement for the AGM-45 Shrike and AGM-78 Standard ARM system. Production was later taken over by Raytheon Corporation when it purchased the defense production business of Texas Instruments.

Last edited:
TLP HARM AGM-88A (K016) Basic Information.

launchpad.gif
The Launch Pad (TLP)

MODEL NAME: HARM AGM-88A Also known as:

NUMBER: K016

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale, Ordnance
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 47.25"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: HARM AGM-88A High-speed Anti-Radiation (Radar) Missile (USA)

​The Vietnam-era Shrike (AGM-45), based on the Sparrow airframe, was designed to lock onto and knock out enemy radar at surface-to-air missile sites, but did only a mediocre job. Shrike was easily confused, and tended to lose the target lock after firing. To correct some of Shrike’s shortcomings, the Standard AGM-78 (also in this catalog) was developed. While more efficient than Shrike, this larger and faster missile still had operational problems of its own. The HARM AGM-88A combines the sensitivity and range of the Standard with the low cost and versatility of Shrike, and adds blinding speed (over Mach 2) to close with the target after firing before the enemy radar can be switched off or take other action. HARM has proved extremely useful and effective in taking out radar installations during the Persian Gulf War, and again in Yugoslavia.The Launch Pad’s HARM missile is done in accurate 1/3.846 scale, standing almost 43 inches tall! Ready for "F" power, or Black Powder "D" motors for smaller fields. As with all The Launch Pad’s kits, HARM requires a 3/16" diameter launch rod at least three feet long for safe launches. This kit uses our unique 18" by 30" oblong Mylar parachute for a safe recovery. Build a piece of military history! (TLP 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

launch%20pad-harm%20agm88a%20k016-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

launch%20pad-harm%20agm88a%20k016-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back