Is this Dog Barf?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtH

Reaction score
I got this at my local home improvement store while buying other stuff, is this the right stuff?

photo-vi.jpg

Our club had two of these bales donated to us. We provide it free of charge to anyone at our launches, packaged up in gallon zip lock baggies. We've been running on these two bales for nearly 10 years now!

I go through between one and 1.5 bales per year. I bring bags full to our club launches and people can make a small donation for them.

Thanks for the help. It was $9.67, I am starting to build bigger rockets and I was running low on estes wadding, so I figured I would go for the lifetime supply. :cool:

I got my supply (a partial garbage bag) at a TORC launch in central Ohio from a member of Skybusters (Cleveland). Like many of you, he had lots and just didn't feel like taking it back home. I re-bagged a lot of it into gallon ziplock bags and used it as packing material to cushion our rockets when we packed to move this summer. Used as packing material in our rocket boxes, we'll always have some with us at a launch. :)

Thanks for the help. It was $9.67, I am starting to build bigger rockets and I was running low on estes wadding, so I figured I would go for the lifetime supply. :cool:

You will still want some Estes or Quest wadding - or some crepe paper. We install a small amount or regular wading to prevent the cellulose wadding from falling out the bottom.

1) Do not install motor yet.
2) Take a small amount of regular wadding (Estes, Quest or crepe) that is a bit larger than the tube diameter. (For BT-20 this would be a quarter square of Estes or Quest.) Lay it flat on top of the body tube and then use a finger to insert it into the top of the tube and form a cup.
3) Insert fluffy cellulose to fill 2 to 3 body tube diameters in length.
4) DO NOT RAM-ROD!
5) Blow it down to the bottom of the rocket like a blow-gun. You will hear or fee a "THUNK" as it comes to rest against the top of the motor mount or thrust ring. This forms a "piston" that can freely slide, yet it prevents hot ejection gasses and flaming bits from passing by or through the wadding.
6) Install shock cord and recovery system and nose.

Okay, sorry for the VERY noob question, but in rocketry, what is the 'dog barf' used for?
TIA

Okay, sorry for the VERY noob question, but in rocketry, what is the 'dog barf' used for?
TIA

Sometimes dogs get hungry and you have to distract them from your rockets. Proverbs 26:11:eyepop:

Seriously, its used in place of or to supplement recovery wadding. Its much cheaper than the Estes toilet paper and for the price of a few packages of the Estes stuff, you can get a bale large enough to supply you and 200 of your closest friends for the next umpteen years and still have enough to give away.

I hope this helps

Thanks John.
Looks like I will need to try and source something similar here in rocket deprived South Africa. LOL.

So I assume it is a fireproof insulation material?

Thanks John.
Looks like I will need to try and source something similar here in rocket deprived South Africa. LOL.

It is shredded cellulose fiber (otherwise known as recycled newspaper :D) with a fire retardant substance added. I think they soak the paper in super-saturated Borax solution before shredding.

Make sure you fill the rockets downwind of spectators. It tastes pretty bad and blows in the wind rather well. :eek:

Yup. It's usually recycled newspaper (cellulose), treated with a flame-retardant. It's chopped into fairly fine bits, though it gets packed pretty tightly in those bales (as shreadvector notes, you'll want to loosen it back up when you use it).

Thanks John.

It looks like others answered while I was out and about.

It would be cool to see some rocket pics from South Africa.

4) DO NOT RAM-ROD!
5) Blow it down to the bottom of the rocket like a blow-gun. You will hear or fee a "THUNK" as it comes to rest against the top of the motor mount or thrust ring. This forms a "piston" that can freely slide, yet it prevents hot ejection gasses and flaming bits from passing by or through the wadding.
And the all important step number
4.5) Inhale prior to placing lips on body tube.

(yes, it tastes like dog barf too)

It looks like others answered while I was out and about.

It would be cool to see some rocket pics from South Africa.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

John,
I will try my best to get some pics. Rocketry is quite small here. It looks like most guys are building their own rockets and making their own motors and propellant. I have not seen any rocket goods at any hobby shop on this side.
I am very keen to get involved and try to get more people involved.
Watch this space ... LOL

Thanks to everyone for their input.

John,
I will try my best to get some pics. Rocketry is quite small here. It looks like most guys are building their own rockets and making their own motors and propellant. I have not seen any rocket goods at any hobby shop on this side.
I am very keen to get involved and try to get more people involved.
Watch this space ... LOL

I look forward to seeing what you do.

I like to travel and South Africa is a place I've wanted to go since my first Wilbur Smith novel. For some reason, I also have a burning desire to visit Tristan da Cunha.

I tried this on my Der Red Max.

I've had 6 D12-5 launches now, and not even a hint of burning on the shock cord, or plastic chute.

Works great! Uses half as much dog barf, and does an excellent job from keeping it from 'falling in' down the tube.

Back