How to plug open forward closure.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Draney

Reaction score
I’ve got a pretty big launch in about 2 days and just realized that I didn’t buy a plugged forward closure. Does anyone know of a way to plug it? I thought maybe some dog barf and a whole lot of painters tape would do it. Any help is welcome, thanks!

Put the delay grain in as you normally would; it'll act as a smoke grain and also protect the tape in the next step from heat and pressure until after the motor burns out. Then tape over the hole in the front. I use two pieces in a cross shape, and then a wrap around the closure to make it a little neater.

I just throw the plastic cap that comes with the reload kit on without the BP charge. Never an issue. Ising the floating forward closure, I run them open with no cap (smoke/delay grain is in of course).

Unless the motor you're using specifically requires a plugged forward closure, just excluding the charge and putting the plastic cap on has always worked for me.

However, some motors (like the Aerotech I59, for example) have no delay grain and have an inhibited forward grain. The Aerotech plugged forward closure does not have a delay grain cavity. I don't think such a motor would work with a standard forward closure.

I don't own a plugged forward closure either. I've been flying AT motors without ejection charges for 15 years in DD rockets. Don't drill the delay grain and leave the powder out. No need for dog barf, tape, plastic caps, etc.

Just put the cap on with no BP, you'll be fine. For CTI motors, I just criss-cross a few pieces of masking tape over the opening after I remove the disk and the BP... never had an issue.

Read the directions that came with your reload. AT says if using a plugged forward closure, you need to fill part of the delay assembly with grease. You could always fill the powder well in your closure with the same grease.

But again, follow your reload directions.

Back