Eggfinder in BT-50

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
My daughter just bought a Comanche-3 and is super excited about flying it out of sight. I remember how badly that ended for me when I was a kid, so I want to equip it with GPS. My Eggfinder slides right into a BT-50 coupler, so I think I can make an extended nosecone AV bay. Have any of you done this before? And does anyone know what LiPo will fit into a BT-50? (Cris recommends a 2S 7.4V 350mAh LiPo for the Eggfinder, but he says it will run on less.)

I've put one in an Estes Mongoose 2-stager, C6-0 to C6-7, and I can attest that there is definitely value in having a tracker in a small multi-stage rocket. It will fit fine in the BT-50 if you get one of those little 180 mAH 2S LiPo's from Hobby King. What you'll want to do is to glue the nose cone base (with the eyelet) using epoxy to the bottom-inside of the coupler (do NOT glue the body tube pieces together with the coupler!), that will give you a 12" long payload bay to play with. Use a piece of thin basswood sheet to make a sled, make it long and skinny so you can just slide it into the payload bay. Use a couple of 3/8" long #4 self-tapping screws to hold the nose cone onto the payload bay (drill 1/16" holes for them first).

Thanks, Cris. That's pretty much what I was thinking about doing--making a long, skinny AV bay above the coupler in the sustainer and pinning the nosecone on with shear pins. If anyone has any pictures of a similar setup, I'd love to see them.

Back