Online fin alignment site?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I can't find the link to an online fin alignment tool where you enter the diameter of the tube, the thickness of the fins and how many fins...

(You print out the template, glue it to cardboard, cut it out and voila!)

HELP!

I can't find the link to an online fin alignment tool where you enter the diameter of the tube, the thickness of the fins and how many fins...

(You print out the template, glue it to cardboard, cut it out and voila!)

HELP!

The Fin Guide Tool is one of the online tools at:

https://www.payloadbay.com/page-Tools.html

Be sure to select the "Actual Size" option when printing the templates.

I've also started working on updated versions of the tools (including the Fin Guide) at:

https://community.rocketreviews.com/forums/topic/3-new-fin-guide-generator-and-other-tools/

One feature of the updated tools is that "Actual Size" should be the default for printing.

Feedback on the new tools is appreciated.

-- Roger

I love the free tools at payloadbay.com! I use the fin guide for almost all fin installs. I glue the guide to cardboard before cutting it out. the apogee fin alignment guillotine is great when you don't have fin slots to help align them.

Assuming that the fin slots are parallel with the longitudinal axis of the body tube, these slots will help indeed help the builder align the fins properly in line with the long axis. However, there is still a bit of "wiggle room" in these slots which can allow them to be rotated radially and thus it is easy to install fins that deviate from being "on radius". My device (the Guillotine Fin Alignment Jig as sold by Apogee) when it is used as intended will not only align the fins properly but will hold them in position while the adhesive sets. It does not "index" the fins around the circumference of the tube and so the tube must be marked if there are no slots to follow.

As for the prices Apogee charges its customers, I realize that there are a number of hobbyists who think this price is outrageous and so I have made my design plans available to anyone who thinks they can build one for themselves and thereby save money. The price for my design plans is $12 and payable through Paypal only. Feel free to PM me if you are interested. :)

Back