AIM-7A???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
Today, while doing some research, I stumbled across this Photo. The Pic' had no Captions, but was titled AIM-7A.
I had never seen this variant before, and find it quite attractive. It's like Pershing meets Sparrow, and they had a cute little Missile Baby.
I could not find any other Pics' of this particular Missile.
Anyone got any leads or info on this Beauty?
I'de sure like to model one.:)

View attachment 250812

According to Wikipedia, the AIM-7A is the same as the "Sparrow 1," an early 1950s "beam-riding" guided missile which eventually evolved into the actively-guided Sparrow (AIM-7F) that was commonly seen on F4s in the Vietnam era.

I think it's just the paint job that makes it look different in that photo. Otherwise, it looks very similar to the later versions of the Sparrow.

-- Roger

According to Wikipedia, the AIM-7A is the same as the "Sparrow 1," an early 1950s "beam-riding" guided missile which eventually evolved into the actively-guided Sparrow (AIM-7F) that was commonly seen on F4s in the Vietnam era.

I think it's just the paint job that makes it look different in that photo. Otherwise, it looks very similar to the later versions of the Sparrow.

-- Roger

The Body is similar, but you have to admit that the Conical Nose is totally different.

-- Roger

Thanks Roger!!!
"Sparrow 1" is what it is, and subsequent Searching found me everything I need!

Sparrow I Illustration.jpg

DSC_2147%20Sparrow%20I%20l.jpg02SperrySparrowIMissile.jpgXF3D-1_AAM-N-2_NAN7-54.jpg

I'm definitely going to do the Paint Scheme like the first Picture. :D:clap:
I've got a couple other builds going on right now, but that's good because it means I can take my time studying methods for making the Cone.

This would be a good resource for you if you don't already have it...

There are several available at Amazon...

By the way I found my cat... ;)

Air Weapons.jpg

This would be a good resource for you if you don't already have it...

There are several available at Amazon...

By the way I found my cat... ;)

Thanks, and yes, I do have that one. I've been building a nice little Library of Rocket/Missile Books over the past Year. That one only features the AIM-7F on Page 39, and the "Graphically Rendered Representation" is woefully innacurate, as are most of the Images in that Book.:mad:
I am going to go through some of my other Books later to see if there are any Pics' of this one.
Glad you found the Cat. I have 8 Cats, and with the Weather being such that they can't go out, they are all to readily found.

The Fin Dimensions are obviously incorrect in the Drawing that I posted. I found the Drawing during a Google search for "Sparrow 1", but don't even know who made it.
They obviously intended to fly it, and thusly they made the Fins wrong because they were a *$#@^& about Stability, and have never heard of lots of Nose Weight and a longer Rail to get up to speed. If they wanted "Performance" over looks, they should have just built a 3FNC Kit.
My Model will have the ridiculously large Wings. Speed and Altitude can go eat it!!! Like all of my Rockets, it will spend 99% of it's life hanging from the Livingroom Cieling looking nice.

The Fin Dimensions are obviously incorrect in the Drawing that I posted. I found the Drawing during a Google search for "Sparrow 1", but don't even know who made it.
They obviously intended to fly it, and thusly they made the Fins wrong because they were a *$#@^& about Stability, and have never heard of lots of Nose Weight and a longer Rail to get up to speed. If they wanted "Performance" over looks, they should have just built a 3FNC Kit.
My Model will have the ridiculously large Wings. Speed and Altitude can go eat it!!! Like all of my Rockets, it will spend 99% of it's life hanging from the Livingroom Cieling looking nice.

Looks to me like the drawing is exactly like the white one with blue fins on static display... (shows 150" long)

The other two pictures seem to go together as well... (they have the same or similar profiles)

You may have two different rockets here... (variants of the same initial concept)

Maybe painting them red or taking their Pic' in Black and White makes them appear 20% taller???:confused:
Perhaps it's a matter of camera angles? It obviously requires more research.

Actually, looking at everything again, and View "X X" in the drawing, it does appear to be correct.
The first Pic' just seems to make the Wings look bigger.

I guess since I have a few other builds going on right now, I'll go ahead and get my Scaling done. Then I can work up some Openocket Sims.
I'm going to have to do a custom Cone, so I might aswell do this one as both a 2.6" with a 24mm MMT for Composites, and a 3" with a 29mm MMT.

Back