Another ML

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbzep

Reaction score
I finally got around to finishing my Semroc Mars Lander. I started it last year, but had to stop last winter because I couldn't paint the components. I just got around to working on it again these last few weeks.

I used rubber bands after not finding any springs that I felt suitable. I made the rear shroud removable so that I can access the rubber bands through holes in the rear bulkhead. I've made little wire hooks for them to attach to the lander legs instead of trying to loop them through when it comes time to replace them.

I used Semroc's decals except I wanted to keep the old look and feel with the ML 4, Martin Marietta, and round Estes ML decal. The Semroc oval looked really good with a colored lander, and I almost decided to morph the two together, but decided to stick with the classic decal instead.

This is right after decal application, no clearcoat yet.

dsc_0001-4.jpg

Nice lookin' ML you got there. It's a vision of beauty. May she fly straight & true.

Wow! Awesome job. I love the attention to detail.

Hooks on the rubber bands? I couldn't find any springs I was happy with as well and went with the bands. I found myself having to rebuild one of the legs recently and have been scratching my head on how to reattach the rubber bands. I think you may have solved the issue TB, but I'd like to see what you've done just to be sure....if possible? I think I'm having a V8 moment. :) The shroud on mine is removable also.

Thanks guys. I haven't fooled with cutting the access holes, but I've drawn them on the bulkhead so that I'll know where to cut when the time comes. I'll see about shooting a pic or two so that folks can get an idea of what I've done and improve on it.

Great looking lander! I like the yellow RCS motors.

Photos of the mods would be great.

Mark

Wow, that looks really good! I haven't built mine yet, but I've been studying the ideas everyone has on the rubber bands. I'll be interested to see details on what you did.

Great looking lander! I like the yellow RCS motors.

Photos of the mods would be great.

Mark

Thanks. I thought it needed a bit more color than the stock all white model so I did the yellow RCS motor covers, gold satellite dishes, and red booms.

Mod photos on the way. They are uploading on photobucket right now.

The bell nozzle is friction fitted so that it can easily be removed. I'm going to have to put some CA on the end of the motor mount tube to keep it from fuzzing up, but otherwise it's good to go. The two metal screws are temporary until I get around to getting some less noticeable white nylon screws, which I may never get around to, knowing me. :rolleyes: I figured I'd need four, but the two of them hold it flush to the bulkhead quite well. The bottom didn't get much effort, so it doesn't look too good. The paint has even worn off the bottom edge of the main body tube from sitting around so long before finishing the project.

dsc_0010-1.jpg

I drew the straight lines where the triangular supports are glued to the bulkhead. I've roughly colored in the areas that can be cut away to access the legs. I will cut away the minimum needed for access. I can add reinforcement later if it starts to warp, but I don't think it will as long as the rubber band load is spread with a fairly long dowel. I obviously didn't glue the dowels down. They will stay put just fine without it.

dsc_0011-1.jpg

Here is a very poor mockup of the way I rigged the rubber bands. The paper clip represents the little hooks I made and the pencil is the dowel. I used two rubber bands for each leg, but the photo just shows one for clarity.

dsc_0014-2.jpg

Here is a very poor mockup of the way I rigged the rubber bands. The paper clip represents the little hooks I made and the pencil is the dowel. I used two rubber bands for each leg, but the photo just shows one for clarity.

dsc_0014-2.jpg

Thanks for getting those mods pics up.;) That's pretty much how I envisioned it. Did you actually use a paper clip for the hooks?

Thanks for getting those mods pics up.;) That's pretty much how I envisioned it. Did you actually use a paper clip for the hooks?

I used a very short piece of a paper clip bent into a classic hook shape with an eye at one end to hold the rubber bands. The whole setup from the end of the hook to the dowel is actually shorter than the small paper clip in the photo.

I used a very short piece of a paper clip bent into a classic hook shape with an eye at one end to hold the rubber bands. The whole setup from the end of the hook to the dowel is actually shorter than the small paper clip in the photo.

I used your little hook idea to reattach the rubber band and it worked like a charm. My Lander is back in business. Thanks for the tip!

Back