Absolute Zero

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Just an idea I had. Will it fly:confused2: I have pics from start to present. At this point I need to put in recovery system and clean up fins. Then Im testing it out. Scotty Dog

AZ.JPG

AZ1.JPG

Cool fins. :clap: What are you going to fly her on?
I got a 50 in a 60. Looks good with the fat "D" in it. I think Im gona try a C6-3 for first flight??? Saftey first:D
I want to paint it so it looks like a piece of ice-blue thing. Nasa has a DVD "Absolute Zero." I like the colors on the sleeve and the icy looking font. Thinking of having the Sticker guy on TRF do me up . Scotty Dog

That's a very interesting design! I noticed you stiffened the tube fins with balsa. Do you think they will flutter? Do you expect it to rotate when launched? I'd like to hear how it performs. Ted

That's a very interesting design! I noticed you stiffened the tube fins with balsa. Do you think they will flutter? Do you expect it to rotate when launched? I'd like to hear how it performs. Ted
The fins are balsa. I wet them and rapped them around paint can with rubber bands. When they were dry, I then skinned them with brown paper. As far as flutter, after I put the top of the fins on ,it really stiffened them up. They are still a little "springy" I think a couple more coats CA ,primer,paint they should be OK. I also wonder if it will rotate? May rotate cuz of the surface area of the inner face of fin ,and outer face, I think would differ? This may cause it to :confused: I was hopping to fly it this weekend ,BUT, I am know in process of moving a TREE! :dark: Scotty Dog

Last edited:
Hmm... The logical extension... one fin, in a logarithmic spiral :)

Not sure how one would make a fin and attachment point strong enough though... Still, it'd be cool seeing a one-finned rocket :)

spiral.jpg

Did you move the tree yet?

Did you fly the rocket yet?
Yes the tree is moved. No I have not flown rocket. Ive been down Parris Island last week to see the Marines and my son graduate from boot camp. I plan on flying the rocket this week if the wind will ever stop up here in NH Scotty Dog

Hmm... The logical extension... one fin, in a logarithmic spiral :)

Not sure how one would make a fin and attachment point strong enough though... Still, it'd be cool seeing a one-finned rocket :)

This looks uncannily like a simulation from www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter220.pdf. Anyone interested can scroll down to the top of page 8 and compare "The Logical Extention" with the idea presented by Tim Van Milligan.

I think YOUR rocket is really cool, Scotty Dog.

Last edited:
SWEET!:clap: "Absolute Zero" launches. Got home and said its time. Grabbed 4 rockets and headed to fields.Flew AZ, Tootsie, Alpha and Bull-Pup.The AZ flew real nice. I put a C6-3 in it. It flew just were it was pointed. Nice and straight. I added 17Gs of weight to NC. (Fender washer,2-1/4" lock washers and a screw eye. The AZ weighs in at around 148 Gs with a a C6-3 in it. Heres some pics Scotty Dog

AZ Launch.JPG

AZ Recovery1.JPG

AZ Recoverry.JPG

AZ Recovery2.JPG

AZ Me & My Zero.JPG

Now here's the ultimate question... did it spin? :roll:
I do not beleave it did.Hard to tell from my view. The trail of smoke didnt hint so.I was taking video of launch with a small digt camera. Then I had to switch to single shot to get rocket comming back. Ill post a video of it when someone gives me a heads-up on "How To". Scotty Dog

Well first go to the URL or the Youtube video, then you copy the URL, but only the part after the V= symbol in the URL for the YouTube video. The here on TRF, in the advanced posts, you hit the YouTube button, and paste the thing you copied earlier.You can hit post preview to see if it worked.

Note: when you copy, do not include the V= part

SD

Ill give it a shot. Thanks . Have super high speed hook-up at work. Ill try it there. At home in the mountains, Im on dial-up.Cant even open you-tube half the time on dial-up:roll::roll::y::y::shock::shock::shock:It is a joke! Scotty Dog

[YOUTUBE]cBbhAHDRFhg[/YOUTUBE] This should work. Its quick But you can drag it and see how she flew Scotty Dog

Last edited:
Finally got back around to the AZ. Painted last night and did declals tonight. I been trying to finish some before I get back into building them.Came out OK.

AZ Decals.JPG

AZ Decals1.JPG

AZ Decals2.JPG

Wow, beautiful paint job sir.

It really should not spin unless you put the fins on crooked or canted. The way you did it the drag should be uniform on all sides so there is no reason for it to spin.

This would be interesting to try for a Magnus effect recovery. Of course, if it did not work, it would be a shame to harm this nice rocket.

I like it. Did you see the fin pattern somewhere else or draw on your own idea?

Build another one but this time leave the tail cone uncut and use a TRES motor mount from Fliskits.

p3260171.jpg

Build another one but this time leave the tail cone uncut and use a TRES motor mount from Fliskits.
I actualy have 2 Tres MNTs.One came with the kit.The other is the upscale one. I also have an extra Deuces Wild MNT
How about a pic of "The rest of the rocket" I like the rear end, hows the rest of the body?;)

I actualy have 2 Tres MNTs.One came with the kit.The other is the upscale one. I also have an extra Deuces Wild MNT
How about a pic of "The rest of the rocket" I like the rear end, hows the rest of the body?;)

Well it's your thread but, OK.

The silver tail cone really reflects the exhaust flame.

p3260164.jpg

P8010798.jpg

P8010799.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. Did you see the fin pattern somewhere else or draw on your own idea?
I got back into rockets last winter.Wilth ALL HONESTY, I thought this up without any other influence. Well, that may not be 100% true. I looked at a BAzzilion rockets on the web. I saw,fin rockets,tube rockets,winged rockets. So, I thought about meeting half way on the fin and tube designs.The cone rear end was an accident in a way. I had "that" NC on top and for some reason I put it on the rear end and went to myself "Brillant Idea".;) So,then I went with the smaller NC for the top.

Back