Binocular choice for rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
We mostly fly low-lower high power (A-H) usually in the altitude range of a few hundred to a couple of 1000 feet. However, we also attend a high power event or two a year where high power is the usual at altitudes in the several 100 - 1000's of feet. With those numbers in mind, what are your preferences for numbers in binoculars to use in rocketry observation as far as magnification, field of view, aperature size? In other words, 7 x 35, 8 x 42, 10 x 50, 16 x 52 etc.

Wide field of view. Aperture is not an issue as you are using them in daylight. Magnification restricts the field of view. 7x35 IMO is therefore the right choice. Or even 6 x 30s.

Bigger in this case is not your friend. You want (IMO) a wide field of view to make it easier to keep the rocket in sight AND as LIGHT as possible as you might be holding them up for a minute or more. Take them away from your eyes and you are more likely to lose the target (depending on distance).

Get em used, or be able to try before buy. Don't be fooled by crap like ruby coatings and stuff. For daylight use 'light throughput' is not an issue. Be careful of zoom binos. They are a compromise (like all optical instruments - but more so).

JMO

Last edited:
I have a pair of WW2 vintage Bausch&Lomb 7x50's. They are nearly impossible to follow a rocket with. I agree with the 6x30's, they're on my list to get.

Yes... 7x35 is a better choice if you MUST have 35mm. But for fast moving objects, 6x30 or even compact wide field 5x25s. Again Light Gathering (aperture / size - the second number) is not an issue at a rocket launch. So don't be tempted to 'go big'.

Wide field of view. Aperture is not an issue as you are using them in daylight. Magnification restricts the field of view. 7x35 IMO is therefore the right choice. Or even 6 x 30s.
Good advice. FWIW, I fly mostly smallish (2-4 inch diameter) high power (typical flights to 4000-8000 feet) and I've been pretty happy with Nikon Prostaff ATB 10x25s which are small and rugged. Magnification and FOV is a tradeoff, of course, but the extra mag does help to see what's happening at apogee a bit better.

I have a pair of lightweight Nikon "Travelite II" binocs in the 10x25 that Jeff G counsels against. Yes, they have a narrow field of view but I bought them at a time when I was tracking AMA Free Flight Models at great distances. For that purpose, they worked extremely well.

More recently I started taking them to rocket launches and have found the light weight of these compact binocs allow me to carry them in their soft case on my belt with no problems. The trick to spotting a small object aloft is to look over binocs to place the object and then switch over to the eyepieces. Difficult to describe visualize with actually trying it but once you learn the technique, it's quite simple. Had I my druthers, I'd rather use 7 power binocs but these are what I have.

These are NOT my astro binocs. Those are heavy Stellarvue 12x60's that are best used with a tripod. Free handed only for very short intervals as they get heavy and shaky very quickly.

View attachment 84427
Nikon Travelite II 10x25 binoculars

Last edited:
I have a pair of Canon image stabilized binoculars that are 10X30. I have only used them a very small amount for rocketry (they worked well), but have used them far more for wildlife viewing (they are fantastic). Push a button on them and the slight shake most of us have in our hands "magically" disappears and you can follow something easily. I think they would work very well for rocketry.

Yep. I have a pair of ancient 15x45IS. But optically they are superb. IF you can afford the best, I'd highly recommend the Canon 10x30IS. They are also superb astronomical binos. I am not sure how rugged they are or how they fare (fair?) in dusty environments. I use mine solely for astronomy.

I've done a little research and low power is actually pretty rare in the compact 25mm binocular marketplace. Many are 8x and 10x. Also a big thing I forgot!!! :bangpan: Do you where eyeglasses!??? If so you want something with long eye relief! At least 15mm or more. Eye relief for lack of a better more technical explanation is how far out of the back of the binoculars does the image come. Looks like Pentax makes some nice compacts.

Something like this with a 15mm eye relief and 6.2 degree FOV?
Pentax-62608-8x25-Waterproof-Binocular
- Jeff

PS: You can easily convert Feet at 1000 Yards to Angular FOV by dividing the feet by 52.5. Wide fields of view IMO are 6 degrees and up. So 315' and up.

Last edited:
Optical coatings can't hurt: they reduce flare (like on camera lenses), which aids visibility ESPECIALLY when pointing up, in the general vicinity of the sun.

Optical coatings can't hurt: they reduce flare (like on camera lenses), which aids visibility ESPECIALLY when pointing up, in the general vicinity of the sun.

I don't dispute that at all. Almost all binos are coated on at least one surface. I am simply saying that you should not fall for any dubious claims of superiority in the color of coatings etc. Indeed there is only one way a coating is observable, some percentage of some wavelength(s) of light, are not going IN to the binoculars but getting reflected off. :)

All I can say is the usual disclaimer. Don't point any optical aid within 20 degrees of the Sun. :no: :bangpan: :rant: You have to mindful of where the Sun is at all times. It takes just a second or two to do some damage.

- Jeff

Last edited:
Also a big thing I forgot!!! :bangpan: Do you where eyeglasses!??? If so you want something with long eye relief! At least 15mm or more. Eye relief for lack of a better more technical explanation is how far out of the back of the binoculars does the image come.
Good point and I overlooked it in my post.

The reason I chose the Travelites was because I DO wear glasses and the Travelites have rubber eye cups that roll down to allow me to get the eye relief I need when wearing my glasses. This feature works very well for me.

View attachment 84509View attachment 84510
Highly processed images reveal dust I couldn't otherwise see!

If you want the best look at Ziess, Swarovski, Leupold, Leica, Pentax, Canon, Nikon or Steiner. I spent many years selling fine sporting optics to hunters, bird watchers and others needing absolutely the best optics available. The two things that distinguish a truly high quality binocular from the run-of-the-mill are the glass the lenses are made from and the coatings that are applied to them. Quality coatings fill in imperfections on the lens surface as well as enhance their optical transmission properties. High level coatings are not cheap and can easily add hundreds of dollars to the cost of a binocular or other optic. I guarantee that if you compare a less expensive binocular with a high end set in circumstances that truly test their abilities you'll see why the price is justified.

That said I recommend you pick the best pair your budget can afford. A good 7x35 can easily outperform a cheap 10x50 in both light transmission and image quality. Letup old makes some extremely good binoculars at very affordable prices as does Steiner (who happen to be the binocular of choice for the US military in many cases).

Last edited:
You don't mind if I disagree with you just a tad do you? I mean birder's go nuts over certain binoculars that I have tried at night, and they are AWFUL. NOTHING I mean NOTHING is more decerning than a star. Point source of light. Nothing. Star fields can reveal coma, chromatic and spherical aberration, astigmatism, and severe curvature of field. I have looked through a few ''prized" Swarovski, Steiner, and Nikons that birders swooned over. IMO cheaper high end chinese binoculars kicked their ass. Ok ok... are as good. Especially in edge definition. Tho maybe not build quality. Oh and you forgot Fujinon! They are superb. Edge-to-Edge. Look, I hear you! :handshake: Those are some good makers... but to be honest, whatever birders see in some of these binoculars, I can not fathom. For astronomy their optics are not worth the price. And what you see is what you get. I think a lot of it is status symbol. :) Not ALL mind you. Just some. That's why I love the Canon IS'. Greate optics. And my Fujinon 16x70s. Incredible edge to edge sharpness (of course too big for rocketry)

But then we are in the weeds here. :wink: I hope the original author, who I do not even think has answered, understands, for rocketry you don't have to spend more then $100. Probably less.

Last edited:
God, is it ever great to read a fellow astronomer's posts!

Basically I agree with everybody's posts. Low magnification, Objective aperture no larger than 60mm, coated lenses, and hopefully your eyepieces are at least a Kellner lens arrangement (tho' a nice Plossl would work well too!)

One doesn't need binoculars for rocketry, but a good quality low power spotting scope would work well. Heck, you can build a nice low power spotting scope from lenses from the Surplus Shed (https://www.surplusshed.com/) and one can build a kick-a$$ spotting scope for less than $80, and the optical tube can be PVC or ABS sewer pipe from a hardware store.

Last edited:
I hope the original author, who I do not even think has answered, understands, for rocketry you don't have to spend more then $100. Probably less.

Ok, Jeff, as the original author, I do understand. I am just taking all this in before I make my decision.
I appreciate all the conversation thus far. Thanks to all who have stated their opinions and shared knowledge.

Anyone use a golf range finder to figure out how far they have to walk to retrieve a rocket or how close is the nearest tree or object to avoid?

Take a look at the Nikon 7x50mm OceanPro Center Focus Binoculars with Compass.
Being able to watch the rocket and take a compass bearing at the same time has saved me hours of searching.
The downside, is that judging the distance to your rocket is hindered by the optical magnification.

John

Astronomer here as well, 8" Orion Dob and an 8" Celestron SCT.

18 inch Litebox dob f4.5
10 inch Cave Astrola f/6
8 inch Starsplitter f/6
7 inch Teleport f/5.6
4 inch TV101 f/5.4
4 inch Orion f/5 w/ CaK Solar filter
3 inch Vixen f/11
2 inch SolarMax Ha

Yes I have a 'problem'. :lol:

I'm a lightweight astronomer by your standards!

5" Newtonian F7 (basic. Nothing special)
70mm achromat F4.3 (great wide views, not so good for high mag. Too low a F ratio)
35mm homemade finder scope F6 (decent views. Good coatings)

Binoculars: Tasco 10x45 (for the price, pretty good binoculars. Nice widefield views of starfields. The Pleiades come out very nice!)

Last edited:
Like I said, I had a problem. :wink: :y:
I got better...

To put this on topic: I have an old old pair of 7-12x35 zooms with a 6* fov at 7x, Orion UltraView 10x50s w/ 6* fov, the Canon 15x45 w/ 4.5 * fov, and Fujinon 16x70s w/ 4* fov.

So I don't really have any compact binos.

Last edited:
18 inch Litebox dob f4.5
10 inch Cave Astrola f/6
8 inch Starsplitter f/6
7 inch Teleport f/5.6
4 inch TV101 f/5.4
4 inch Orion f/5 w/ CaK Solar filter
3 inch Vixen f/11
2 inch SolarMax Ha

Yes I have a 'problem'. :lol:

Some nice gear there! I'd love something with more aperture but the ones I have are pretty much my limit for weight due to a messed up spine. Well, that and budget restrictions - SSDI doesn't provide much disposable income. If I do try to save for something else it will be for a 12.5" Obsession. That won't happen until I have a permanent backyard observatory to store it in.

On the original topic, you can find some surprisingly good binoculars for under $200 if you shop around and compare.

It can be 'subjective'. Or complete advertising speak. What matters is field of view at 1000yds or field of view in degrees. Wide angle IMO is 6 degrees or 315ft at 1000yds (105 meters at 1000 meters)

Hey all,

I want to photograph/video (using an adapter to fit a point and shoot digital camera to the eyepiece) rockets from 1000 to 2000 feet. Particularly I want to catch the apogee and ejection events. I expect to use a good tri-pod (heavy). I'm not worried about weight, or bulkiness. What about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OUBI5A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

If you have a camera, I assume you have practiced tracking a rocket all the way through apogee and getting good shots at say 5x or 10x? It's not easy and I don't think that big honkin' Maksutov lens is gonna make it any easier. They are not known for their wide fields of view. Also it's really slow. f/14 as most Cassegrains are.

IMO you'll have WAY too small a field of view to effectively track the rocket. 1250mm + whatever multiplier your camera or video camera has. Thats 25x plus.
That said, I have never tried. I just know how hard it is to hold a 12x or greater set of binos steady, I just can't imagine this at 25x to be easier. And a tripod will probably just get in the way.

Maybe if you are WAY down range... Me? I'd practice with a 200mm or 300mm lens on a DSLR or turn off autofocus on a video camera and set it to infinity, zoom way in, and try to follow a rocket.

Anways, JMO.

Back