ARTS won't connect to computer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
All,

When I hook my ARTS 2 up to my computer (both my XP work machine and Windows 7 personal) and turn the power on, the software says that the altimeter is in a ready state. My problem arises from the fact that the unit will not stop there, it always goes to the point of flight readiness, as displayed by the "ascending tones."

How do I fix this issue? The computer recognizes the ARTS, however the ARTS doesn't appear to recognize it's tethered to a computer.

Thanks in advance.

All,

When I hook my ARTS 2 up to my computer (both my XP work machine and Windows 7 personal) and turn the power on, the software says that the altimeter is in a ready state. My problem arises from the fact that the unit will not stop there, it always goes to the point of flight readiness, as displayed by the "ascending tones."

How do I fix this issue? The computer recognizes the ARTS, however the ARTS doesn't appear to recognize it's tethered to a computer.

Thanks in advance.

you say the computer recognizes the arts2, does the DA say (altimeter ready)

are you using a USB adapter?
if you are, look in your hardware profile and see what com port you are on. select this com port in the DA

Here is what happens:

1) Open Software, choose COM3. Software just says "COM3" in bottom status bar.
2) Hook up USB to Serial adapter, then ARTS Serial Cable to ARTS unit
3) Hook up battery and switch to ARTS unit
4) Turn ARTS on, bottom status reads "Altimeter Ready." Green light on Configuration "dashboard." Altimeter is going through start-up procedure.
5) While altimeter is going "beep...beep...beep..." I try to do anything on the unit...check firmware, check status, etc., Altimeter continues beeping while bottom status bar now reads "Altimeter Busy"
6) Altimeter continues to beep until you hear the "ascending tones" which lock the unit out from manipulation via computer.

Confused!

Dan, what works for me is this:

Open up the software first, next: connect the cables to the ARTS and the computer, then turn on the ARTS. Try hitting the download button first to see if it works. That will tell you if everything is working.
I'm using a USB to serial adapter ( Gigaware) from Radio Shack. to connect the ARTS. You won't hear any beeping once it's communicating with the software. I sometimes forget to turn off the altimeter and run the battery dead. because it's not beeping at me...

JD

JD,

I attempted what you said word for word. Unfortunately, it did not work. When I clicked the download button, the status bar appears, but doesn't begin to fill up. Altimeter went through its normal progression, ultimately to flight ready mode.

just an idea, but are there any jumpers that need to be on the unit?

may be a problem with your serial adapter, do you have the right driver for it?
I know my xp64 edition sees it and adds a plug and play adapter that doesnt work for "proper" communication with the arts until i put in the cd with correct drivers.

(we are also asking these questions to see if we can help) are you new to the arts2, or has it worked in past?

I know my xp64 edition sees it and adds a plug and play adapter that doesnt work for "proper" communication with the arts until i put in the cd with correct drivers.

(we are also asking these questions to see if we can help) are you new to the arts2, or has it worked in past?

I have installed the driver that came with the cable.

This is my second ARTS, the first one met an untimely demise on its very first flight. NEVER fly the unit with one battery unless you are 100% sure what your e-matches are!

Win 7 installs them automatically unless; it's an ancient piece of hardware...

Dumb question: Is the battery fresh?

JD

Installed an Energizer right out of the box. No joy. I am using a TRENDnet USB-Serial cable.

Computer is less than 1 year old. HP 2.53 ghz dual core, 6GB of RAM, Windows 7.

Installed an Energizer right out of the box. No joy. I am using a TRENDnet USB-Serial cable.

well, if you have a history of arts working with that serial adapter, and that computer and data analyzer version, I would suggest talking to Erik at Ozark if this is a new unit that isnt working. i had some funny issues with my last "brand" new one, but just trial and errord through it with some guys at the range. took some playing with.

Dan,

Try specifying the COM Port in the DataAnalyzer V1.6.ini file.
Make manual change, save, and try connecting again. This is
what worked for me.

Dan,

Try specifying the COM Port in the DataAnalyzer V1.6.ini file.
Make manual change, save, and try connecting again. This is
what worked for me.
You may have to go into the properties of the USB/serial adapter and lock the COM port to a fixed number. My adapter, also Radio Shack, would be assigned a different COM port number every time I plugged it in. I set mine to COM4 as the Perfectflite software wouldn't recognize anything above 4.

Mine had the same trouble as well.... in Win 7. I just went into Win XP under virtual machine and mounted it as USB to serial port.

JD

You may have to go into the properties of the USB/serial adapter and lock the COM port to a fixed number. My adapter, also Radio Shack, would be assigned a different COM port number every time I plugged it in. I set mine to COM4 as the Perfectflite software wouldn't recognize anything above 4.

Back