Yuri didn't use Open Rocket, chaos ensues.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boat buggering off at the end was equally as funny.

"IVAN!!!! FULL STEAM AHEAD!!!!"

"But Captain, this is fun to watch!!!"

The boat buggering off at the end was equally as funny.

"IVAN!!!! FULL STEAM AHEAD!!!!"

"But Captain, this is fun to watch!!!"

In 1986, when I was an intern on the movie "Hairspray," we had a cast and crew Fourth of July party on a pier in Baltimore's harbor. One of the teenaged actors brought some bottle rockets. We shot several of them into the harbor. They would disappear for a second; then you would see a little flash of light deep under the water. Amazing that they kept burning underwater. Those suckers must burn really hot!

In 1986, when I was an intern on the movie "Hairspray," we had a cast and crew Fourth of July party on a pier in Baltimore's harbor. One of the teenaged actors brought some bottle rockets. We shot several of them into the harbor. They would disappear for a second; then you would see a little flash of light deep under the water. Amazing that they kept burning underwater. Those suckers must burn really hot!
I had a neighbour do this with a fair sized 'fireworks' rocket.. fired in the St. Laurence river with a 'boom & splash about 500' feet ou!!

I did the same as a kid growing up and also as a kid grown up.

BP and whistle mixes both create the oxygen they need for combustion. The cardboard tubes are stout enough to contain the pressure of the motor burning (usually) and keep water out long enough for the burn and delay phase. Fun stuff for sure.

How many million dollars did we just watch?

(Use 2018 dollars, not the worthless paper we have now)

A lot of state DNR enforcement officers take a dim view of that practice. It is illegal in every state I know of and carries heavy fines. Additionally, BATFE views them as "explosive devices" which are not viewed as good things. I'm not saying I didn't do it as a kid but now I'd steer clear of it.

A lot of state DNR enforcement officers take a dim view of that practice. It is illegal in every state I know of and carries heavy fines. Additionally, BATFE views them as "explosive devices" which are not viewed as good things. I'm not saying I didn't do it as a kid but now I'd steer clear of it.
Yeah, I have no desire to run afoul of the authorities, especially with my known involvement in rocketry, which is legal.

I learned an interesting fact about this missile. It was named "October," after the month in which Sputnik launched.

There will be a movie coming out about the attempts to recover this missile to see what went wrong. It will be titled, "The Hunt for Wet October."

Back