Your Usualy Course Of Action When Dealing With Rocket Eating Trees?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gym_Class_Hero

Reaction score
Just as the (fairly long) title implies. What is your standard course of action when a rocket falls victim to the trees? Do you just let it go? Whack at it? Climb the tree? Worse?

I usually whack at it for a couple of seconds (sounds wrong:lol:), then try and climb the tree (I usually can't). If that fails, I let it go.

I've had to get one of these poles from the club in which, I think they use it for working on power lines. Supposed to stretch out to 40 feet and has a hook on the end.

418axe.jpg

No, just kidding. It depends on the tree and the rocket. What's the rocket worth, how high is it, what's the risk in climbing the tree? What's the risk in getting someone's kid to climb the tree... At big events, someone usually has some kind of pole to retrieve rockets, and that's always worth a try. Throwing a line over might help.

Bit sometimes it's just not worth it. It really hurt to leave my Phoenix in a tree at IRW06, but it was the sensible thing to do.

The CMASS club has a telescoping, fiberglass electrician's pole that is around 40' long. Works great. Not cheap.

When I'm on my own, I have a lightweight telescoping aluminum pole that's about 20' long. Unfortunately, the company that made it is no longer in business.

Probably my zaniest recovery using that pole was when I duct taped it to a couple of tall poles used for opening/closing skylights followed by duct taping that to a large 15' long fallen tree branch. The whole thing was close to 50' long and swung around around in the air like some kind of crazed slightly-rigid snake. Still got the rocket back though!

Jim

Our club has one of the 40' telescoping fiberglass pole as well - and boy is that thing unwieldy at its full extension. It took two of us to get my Alpha out of a tree near our pad - that thing was swayin' back and forth big time. Of course, that was one of the few launches my girlfriend went to - retrieving that rocket was the highlight of the day for her!!! :p

When I'm on my own, I have a lightweight telescoping aluminum pole that's about 20' long.
That's what our club uses. This pic is from my L1; Mark Fisher (estople) is the one with the pole, I'm tugging on the shock cord, and Chan Stevens is waiting beside us to check out the rocket to make sure it can fly again.

Trees2.jpeg

Just as the (fairly long) title implies. What is your standard course of action when a rocket falls victim to the trees? Do you just let it go? Whack at it? Climb the tree? Worse?

I usually whack at it for a couple of seconds (sounds wrong:lol:), then try and climb the tree (I usually can't). If that fails, I let it go.
Chain saws are handy...

That's what our club uses. This pic is from my L1; Mark Fisher (estople) is the one with the pole, I'm tugging on the shock cord, and Chan Stevens is waiting beside us to check out the rocket to make sure it can fly again.

Trees2.jpeg

What happens if the rocket was good to fly again, but was damaged in the extraction?:kill:

I would think the 'extraction' of the rocket from the tree would be part of the 'successful recovery' thing...

What happens if the rocket was good to fly again, but was damaged in the extraction?:kill:

If it's a TRA cert, the rocket can be inspected "in the tree". If the rocket is flight worthy the cert is good. Damage caused by removing it from the tree does not count against you.

I think NAR has a different view.

We've had folks use 20foot Jiggin poles, a telescoping bamboo fishing poles, electic company Hi ranger Hot sticks with extensions (very HEAVY). and other means.
I've found these telescoping 8'-23' 3 section paint roller extension handles with a 3'x 1/4" stainless steel rod "HOOK" attached with a hose clamp. to be the best personal Tree retrievel pole. I've seen some in LOWES and Home Depot the aren't as long or well made as the ones I've purchased from McMaster-Carr #774366 for around 58 bucks. They make excellent freestanding flag poles also;) These with get you to about 35feet at arms length.
The club as a 40' two man fibreglass pole the will get you to almost 50feet but at 650.00 it's a little expensive for individuals.

Then theres the Fishing rod recovery system....20lb-50lb test and a bungee cord. Hey it works!

Our club (GSSS) has a 50ft telescoping pole that we use with a pretty good success rate.. Good thing too since there is a large tree right next to our launch pads. Don't ask me who the genius is who did the planning on that one, but it's been like that since long before I joined....tough to get a good launch site in NJ.

Glenn

I prefer a Zebco 33 on an Ugly Stick with a casting plug. Just cast the plug over the branch and pull the lines off the branch with the rocket. If necessary, use the line to pull a length of clothes line over the branch and pull the sucker down:D

For more info on poles, see this thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=3944

There are many $ worth of rockets in one RET at the GSSS club launch site. At last count a Rubicon, a Fat Boy, and at least 6 others were roosting there. Some in parts and some whole, but all thoroughly entangled and beyond the reach of our poles.

Latest posts

Back