Your painting regimen

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel_of_the_Skies

Reaction score
I’m currently in a dilemma. I’ve painted my zephyr jr outdoors here in Texas using a canopy and some drop cloths clamped around to act as a a paint booth. Not sure where I went wrong but I noticed my paint had been contaminated with some dust and debris

I am currently looking to set up a non ventilated (no fans) paint booth in the garage.

I want to ask, where do you guys paint your rockets and do you paint them horizontally or vertically ? What tools are you using, regular spray cans or air guns?

Regular rattle can, usually Rusto 2X. I paint between the house and the garage, and I usually wait for a nice dry day with very little wind.

For larger rockets, I pound a stake into the ground and set the body tube on that, so vertically.

For smaller rockets, usually Estes, I have a wooden stick that I shove inside the body tube and affix it with tape, then I just hold it in my (gloved) hand.

I don't think I've ever painted a rocket that didn't get a spider web or some small flying creature stuck to it. Normally once the paint is dry I'll hit it with some 400 grit and it comes right off.

I’m currently in a dilemma. I’ve painted my zephyr jr outdoors here in Texas using a canopy and some drop cloths clamped around to act as a a paint booth. Not sure where I went wrong but I noticed my paint had been contaminated with some dust and debris

I am currently looking to set up a non ventilated (no fans) paint booth in the garage.

I want to ask, where do you guys paint your rockets and do you paint them horizontally or vertically ? What tools are you using, regular spray cans or air guns?
You really need a fan if you're painting in your garage. you also need a full face respirator with the 2 cartridges on it. Do you wipe down the surfaces with a tack cloth right before you spray? I paint mine out on the 8ft X 8ft patio as that's what I have to work with. You need a standard automotive spray gun that will give you a nice atomized spray pattern. I use a Paasche mini spray gun https://www.freedomstencils.com/products/paasche-airbrush-hg-08-hvlp-gravity-feed-touch-up-spray-gun it puts out a 7" tall pattern which is perfect for rockets which are sprayed horizontally. It's only $46.00 on amazon. Unless you have a gun that you can change the spray pattern from the normal vertical pattern to a horizontal pattern, you will have paint build-up in the vertical position, causing runs.

Last edited:
Regular rattle can, usually Rusto 2X. I paint between the house and the garage, and I usually wait for a nice dry day with very little wind.

For larger rockets, I pound a stake into the ground and set the body tube on that, so vertically.

For smaller rockets, usually Estes, I have a wooden stick that I shove inside the body tube and affix it with tape, then I just hold it in my (gloved) hand.

I don't think I've ever painted a rocket that didn't get a spider web or some small flying creature stuck to it. Normally once the paint is dry I'll hit it with some 400 grit and it comes right off.
I’m assuming you clear coat it after the sanding. I do have some 800 grit I am thinking of hitting the black on the zephyr with

DCB87278-3820-46A5-A9F0-2754E5F251F4.jpeg

You really need a fan if you're painting in your garage. you also need a full face respirator with the 2 cartridges on it. Do you wipe down the surfaces with a tack cloth right before you spray? I paint mine out on the 8ft X 8ft patio as that's what I have to work with. You need a standard automotive spray gun that will give you a nice atomized spray pattern. I use a Paasche mini spray gun https://www.freedomstencils.com/products/paasche-airbrush-hg-08-hvlp-gravity-feed-touch-up-spray-gun it puts out a 7" tall pattern which is perfect for rockets which are sprayed horizontally. It's only $46.00 on amazon. Unless you have a gun that you can change the spray pattern from the normal vertical pattern to a horizontal pattern, you will have paint build-up in the vertical position, causing runs.
I do not honestly. I use a dry cloth and just wipe it clean. I’ve seen great results on both a rattle can and a spray gun. I would love to buy a spray gun but would like to test my self on cans first.

What tack cloth would you recommend

I definitely clear coat after painting.

And after the clear, I wet sand with 1000 grit, then Meguires polish, then Turtle Wax ceramic spray.

I definitely clear coat after painting.

And after the clear, I wet sand with 1000 grit, then Meguires polish, then Turtle Wax ceramic spray.
Awesome. I’m sure they come out great

I don’t know where I went wrong with my paint being contaminated, maybe the drop cloths let some fuzz loose, or maybe it was that I painted it on some legs I made out of pvc and on my plastic covered porch

I’m thinking about wet sanding my rocket as a whole. In your experience, do you wet sand one color coat at a time IE - first the white, then the black ?

I just spray mine with a rattle can, usually Rusto 2x unless I can't find a color I want, then it's what-ever-brand.
Wood usually gets a spray of primer, tubes just color coat. Not worried about a bug or dust here or there, I'm not building museum pieces, it's just a hobby. To each his own though.

Only after the clear coat.

If there's anything stuck on the paint between color coats I'll hit it with the 1000 grit, but I really don't get too carried away with the wet sanding...

Unless it's a fiberglass rocket.. then I go to town.

I just spray mine with a rattle can, usually Rusto 2x unless I can't find a color I want, then it's what-ever-brand.
Wood usually gets a spray of primer, tubes just color coat. Not worried about a bug or dust here or there, I'm not building museum pieces, it's just a hobby. To each his own though.
Agreed. I lean towards making my rockets look as best as possible, though I do see why it’s not always worth the effort to go above and beyond, it is a hassle

Rattle can, outside on a calm day, usually horizontal, rotisserie-style.

My complex LPR designs generally have too many small fiddly bits to fully sand or polish, so I’ll usually apply and sand filler/primer, pre-assembly. Then hope for the best.

On a few occasions I have gotten an unsatisfactorily rough paint finish, and so I smoothed it out with 400- am/or 800-grit, then applied a new top coat. That has always yielded a very good finish, I’m just too lazy to do it most of the time.

I use Future (or whatever it’s called these days) so I never sand post-clear coat.

Rattle can, outside on a calm day, usually horizontal, rotisserie-style.

My complex LPR designs generally have too many small fiddly bits to fully sand or polish, so I’ll usually apply and sand filler/primer, pre-assembly. Then hope for the best.

On a few occasions I have gotten an unsatisfactorily rough paint finish, and so I smoothed it out with 400- am/or 800-grit, then applied a new top coat. That has always yielded a very good finish, I’m just too lazy to do it most of the time.

I use Future (or whatever it’s called these days) so I never sand post-clear coat.
I find it to be that my patience holds up very well, all the way until the paint jobs. I’ll do all possible to have a well prepared surface, then want to get painting done in a snap lol

Last rocket I painted had some serious contamination due to my rush to get it ready for the launch date. I hit it with 400 grit wet and slapped on the decal. The lack of gloss is barely noticeable after a few launches.
I feel very similar. I want to get out and launch, yet I want a good finish. Maybe I’ll begin to build rockets that fly (slap on some paint and call it a day), and some shelf rockets (don’t fly but look good), does anyone do this ?

Not me. I think patience is the key to a nice paint job.
I agree. I took my time on this build, although I did forget to tape off the neck of my nose cone when painting

I still got what seemed to be fuzz on my nose cone and fins (black topcoat on the zephyr). I don’t know whether it came from the floor of my porch or the canvas drop cloth I used from Home Depot

Sand, prime, prep, use a degreaser, tack cloth, then shoot paint. I have a paint booth that is sealed to the outside. I have exhaust fan in ceiling that will evacuate the room in under a minute. Booth has fresh air filters on opposite wall, so all air that comes in is filtered. I also have a separate compressor for fresh air supply for me to breathe. Air line has very good water trap. LED lighting all around on walls and on ceiling. There are no shadows cast in the booth. And a good 5 gallon bucket to spill stuff in.

Sand, prime, prep, use a degreaser, tack cloth, then shoot paint. I have a paint booth that is sealed to the outside. I have exhaust fan in ceiling that will evacuate the room in under a minute. Booth has fresh air filters on opposite wall, so all air that comes in is filtered. I also have a separate compressor for fresh air supply for me to breathe. Air line has very good water trap. LED lighting all around on walls and on ceiling. There are no shadows cast in the booth. And a good 5 gallon bucket to spill stuff in.
Do you have any picture of this paint booth ? What exhaust fan are you using ?

I am currently trying to find an appropriate setting for painting my rockets. My biggest problems here in Houston have been :
1. Very windy especially during sunset (this is where it’s not too hot to be outside)
2. Airborne dust and bugs

Im very upset about my current build as I had prepped the rocket very well until the painting stages.

Maybe being near the floor on my porch where there’s bits of dust isn’t ideal, I don’t know

Im considering maybe a paint booth in the garage, that would definitely cost me some $ as I would need a way to direct any paint particles away from the cars in the drive way

I've learned to take advantage of this big wind-blocking thing called my house/garage. If the wind is coming out of the southwest (as it often does here in Michigan), I paint in my front yard near the northeast corner of my building. If the wind speed is in the single digits, it is very nearly calm there. If the wind is coming from a different direction, I adapt accordingly. Make sure you're sufficiently far away from the building (and parked cars!) to avoid an overspray catastrophe.
And while I'm on the topic of painting: take your time. Someone up above said "want to get painting done in a snap lol". That's exactly the wrong approach; rushing the job will only lead to confusion, pain, sorrow and woe. I have a part spray-painted with RustOleum gloss enamel curing in my garage right now. Naturally I'm tempted to tape and spray the second color now, but I'm checking my swing and forcing myself to wait until Friday. It tests my patience, but I keep telling myself it will be worth it. You live and you learn.
Bob

Created paints using an Iwata LP80 paint gun. Switching to a paint gun radically changed the quality of my paint projects. I spray outdoors, and the final coat is Spraymax 2K Clear Glamour.

Attachments

• IMG_6986.jpeg
    IMG_6986.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Almost forgot.

The real secret is to build two or three rockets at once.

That way you can be sanding or glueing one while the paint is drying on the other... thus lessening the temptation to spray another coat or clear coat before the previous one is completely dry.

Houston weather can’t be counted on so I paint in the garage. IMG_3048.jpeg
Cheap drop cloth on the ground and I built a pvc frame that I can easily dismantle. Wrap plastic around it. Box fan with the cheapest 20” air filter I can buy to vent out of the garage.
I have two jack stands with a broom handle to hold up the rocket. Usually hang the nosecone using a bungee.

Back