You are Never too old - Re-learning to Play Guitar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My wifes used to play bass guitar (before we met) and my son wanted to learb guitar (which we bought hime a long time ago). I have not played since high school, when I learned to play classical. All three of us are now taking lessons at the local Fret Shop. I'm really lov'n it so far, so much I picked up a cheap acoustic to go with my cheap electric. I picked up a nice, older, Yamaha Pacific, model PAC012DLX, and I just bought an Orangewood Oliver acoustic.

This is what my Yamaha Pacifica looks like; https://reverb.com/p/yamaha-pac012dlx-pacifica-deluxe-hss

And this is the Orangewood Oliver that I will get this Friday; https://orangewoodguitars.com/products/olivermahogany

Shoot, I have enough hobbies going to last 3-lifetimes, but something seemed right about re-learning the basic guitar. Anyone else play?

Awesome! Its great to hear when folks are getting into (or back into) playing music. It certainly helps motivate and increase enjoyment when the family gets into it as well. Great looking guitars! A proper setup and new set of strings makes all the difference. Even a brand new guitar needs to be setup for playability. Have you got an amp yet? In my opinion, the Fender Champion 20 is a great starter amp with excellent sound, features and price.

I have been playing and collecting guitars for 25 years. Recording albums was extremely time consuming. I took a break from it a few years ago and prioritized rocketry. There's only so much time in the day. My kids got electric guitars and amps earlier this year, and they're still trying to figure it all out. Video games seem to be a big distraction from doing other things, but we are working on that. I searched youtube for beginner lessons, but never found anything that would help them. Don't want to force them to play, or it may completely turn them away from it. They just need to practice independently for 20 mins or so each day. I should probably start playing more too, it might help motivate them.

Good luck in your playing!

I've been playing guitar on&off for over 50 years. Mostly acoustic, and sometimes along with harmonica.

Best advice is to play every day, no matter what you're trying. Basic chords, transitioning between popular chord sequences. Strumming patterns. Playing along with a metronome to get used to timing and tempo. Build up calluses and get past the initial soreness, then keep at it so they don't go away.

Next level is barre chords, triads, pentatonic scales, then picking patterns. Things like "hammer on" and "pull off" techniques, bending, muting, and harmonics can be learned as needed.

Chose a song you like and know well, then look for tabs and lessons online. https://www.justinguitar.com/ is one of my favorite places for lessons. Make sure it's fun or everyone finds something else to do with their time. :)

Glad your family is doing this together! Music is for life, like all things it comes and goes at times, but it is always there for you.

Be careful about collecting guitars, though! Easy to get a few too many. And they all have their own personality...

Rocksmith software is a great learning tool, but the latest version has moved to a subscription model, which I loathe when it comes to software. The older one is still available on Steam but the DLC is disappearing as the song licenses expire.

ss_5f5f8001e3950b962462248bb93abf2634d23d28.1920x1080.jpg
I have some Ibanez guitars: a regular six-string, another six-string outfitted with heavy strings and tuned to C, a seven string (not pictured) and a bass.

20220711_064422.jpg

https://www.justinguitar.com/ is one of my favorite places for lessons. :)
Thanks for recommending Justin... I've been dragging at least one guitar around with me since I was in the service, and have yet to do anything but putz around with them occasionally. Since I tend to not focus well on more than one thing at a time, I figure after my Level 3 flight, I might use the poor things for something other than wall decoration.

I played electric guitar for years at church. Now its banjo and I’m learning squareneck resonator (Dobro). My goal is to play every day, at least for a few minutes to improve with each. I’ve sold most everything electric (guitars, amps, pedals) to help buy a new Bishline banjo😎.

Something that will help you improve is to play with others in a group or jam. I no longer play guitar at church, but am now part of a group that plays acoustic gospel and bluegrass at local nursing homes and a few churches. We have regular practices even if we don’t have a “gig” so it keeps us limbered up. It’s fun, and the band members are all encouraging to each other.

Thanks for recommending Justin... I've been dragging at least one guitar around with me since I was in the service, and have yet to do anything but putz around with them occasionally. Since I tend to not focus well on more than one thing at a time, I figure after my Level 3 flight, I might use the poor things for something other than wall decoration.
I’ve been using https://banjobenclark.com/ for lessons. He does a great job with guitar, banjo, and mandolin. It’s all acoustic on his site.

I’m trying to get back to practicing as well. I have a few wonderful guitars. And for those of you that have seen a bunch of my rockets and teased me about too many being black and white roll patterns, this may have something to do with it!!

Attachments

• 031D1851-1220-4289-8EB8-6E699A80EF6D.jpeg
    031D1851-1220-4289-8EB8-6E699A80EF6D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I’m trying to get back to practicing as well. I have a few wonderful guitars. And for those of you that have seen a bunch of my rockets and teased me about too many being black and white roll patterns, this may have something to do with it!!
That's one of my bucket lost toys!

We are going to our lessons later today, and it looks like I will get to take my new Orangewood Oliver with me... Fedex is indicating my new guitar is out for delivery! Pictured here is not my actual guitar, it is an image from the Orangewood website. But this what my guitar will look like:

OLIVER-MAHOGANY-FRONT-FULL_1200x.png

I’ve been playing for years. Recently with the worship team at church. It’s good for your brain to learn new things and playing the guitar isn’t easy. I’ve heard good things about the Orangewood guitars. I got a Kemper for Christmas so I’ve been learning how to use it. Have fun!

Attachments

• 84227F00-9374-48FA-88ED-A1F7B3002626.jpeg
    84227F00-9374-48FA-88ED-A1F7B3002626.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • B1314467-84BF-4D2D-B5A1-6C42DA1001D7.jpeg
    B1314467-84BF-4D2D-B5A1-6C42DA1001D7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 98842E09-2B6B-48BF-A7FA-9A5639B643F6.jpeg
    98842E09-2B6B-48BF-A7FA-9A5639B643F6.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
My son wanted a guitar for his birthday, so we picked up an Epiphone SG (used but new condition) and a Fender Mustang amp. He's been learning for a month or so now. Like others have said, the last thing I need is yet another hobby. However, between watching him practice and progress and watching all kinds of youtube videos, it sorta has me wanting to learn.

My question is this: Is it possible for a (almost) 50 year old who's never picked up a guitar in his life to learn at this point? If it matters, I played sax in school... (never touched it since). :)

It may sound silly but I find all these pictures of the guitars to just be so beautiful. I know it's the sound that matters, but wow, some of these things are just gorgeous. In contrast, here is a video I just watched about Willy Nelson's guitar, Trigger. I knew nothing other than Willy Nelson's name prior to watching this video. Lets just say the appearance of his guitar is sorta the complete opposite of the beauty shots on this thread, without knowing the backstory that is... After hearing the backstory, the guitar starts appearing a bit more "desirable". :)

Link to video:

It’s not too late and yes you can learn. Especially if you play with your son. But my #1 piece of advice is for the two of you to learn a few songs together and play them. The theory and chops will come later. The songs are what make it fun enough to continue with learning.
There are tons of you tube videos on how to play any song you want these days. You don’t have to slow down the tape or record any more!!(old guy joke).
And here are a few more of my quiver for your visual enjoyment!!

My son wanted a guitar for his birthday, so we picked up an Epiphone SG (used but new condition) and a Fender Mustang amp. He's been learning for a month or so now. Like others have said, the last thing I need is yet another hobby. However, between watching him practice and progress and watching all kinds of youtube videos, it sorta has me wanting to learn.

My question is this: Is it possible for a (almost) 50 year old who's never picked up a guitar in his life to learn at this point? If it matters, I played sax in school... (never touched it since). :)

It may sound silly but I find all these pictures of the guitars to just be so beautiful. I know it's the sound that matters, but wow, some of these things are just gorgeous. In contrast, here is a video I just watched about Willy Nelson's guitar, Trigger. I knew nothing other than Willy Nelson's name prior to watching this video. Lets just say the appearance of his guitar is sorta the complete opposite of the beauty shots on this thread, without knowing the backstory that is... After hearing the backstory, the guitar starts appearing a bit more "desirable". :)

Link to video:

Attachments

• B9E0330B-9D26-46C8-A998-395D211895D0.jpeg
    B9E0330B-9D26-46C8-A998-395D211895D0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 38ADEF11-ADF8-469C-BE27-37AC3EB9F395.jpeg
    38ADEF11-ADF8-469C-BE27-37AC3EB9F395.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 51EB9F5E-D034-446F-8CF6-3FBAEA85DE96.jpeg
    51EB9F5E-D034-446F-8CF6-3FBAEA85DE96.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • BE68396E-153C-42D2-A259-ECE9EA318CF1.jpeg
    BE68396E-153C-42D2-A259-ECE9EA318CF1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Link to video:

Not too late to learn guitar! Much easier these days with all the online lessons.

Welcome back!

I've been playing since I was about 12. In 2021 I had an opportunity to purchase my dream guitar in the form of a Les Paul Custom in Alpine White. Wildly expensive but I pulled the trigger. No regrets on that one.

I have a Reverb store so I get to have some pretty cool gear (mostly Gibson stuff) for a little bit at a time. Just sold a 1978 Les Paul Special '55 Reissue and my kingpin of my past collection was my 1967 Gibson Trini Lopez. Another childhood dream guitar because of Foo Fighters, but I had to let it go. Far to expensive to keep in the collection lol.

Enjoy the ride!

Braden

I play electric guitar for our church worship team. If this is something you are interested in, there are 3 main sources I use for learning: worship artistry, worship online and multitracks. The first 2 have full tutorials and tabs. Multitracks is nice since you can isolate specific tracks in a song to really hear what is going on and you can practice over it. Equipment has also changed a lot over the years. I'm a rock player so I have my Marshall and 5150 amps, BUT I also have been using the line 6 helix emulator. It took a while to get used to but now that is all I play through. The flexibility is awesome and tone sound so much like a live amp it hard to tell the difference. Hope this was useful.

So practice went well this past Thrusday, the instructor did notice that the intenation needed adjusting on my Pacifica. In fact, the upper string snapped when the technician took a look at it... Luckily, since I am taking lessons where I bought the guitar, I got a full set of strings, and the intenation set free of charge!!

My Accoustic did not show up until late Thursday night, so I did not take it to the lesson. I am absolutely blown away by the Orangewood Oliver accoustic; for $180 you get the guitar; gig bag; tuner; capo; strap; picks & pick holder; string winder etc.... with free shipping. From California to Alabama too 4-days!!

The guitar seems to be well built from a novice perspective. The weight is good, and too me, it feels more like a $500 - $700 guitar. I do not know my string makers, but the Oliver is strung with Ernie Ball strings, and supposedly they are nice strings. I just know the guitar sounds really warm.

So practice went well this past Thrusday, the instructor did notice that the intenation needed adjusting on my Pacifica. In fact, the upper string snapped when the technician took a look at it... Luckily, since I am taking lessons where I bought the guitar, I got a full set of strings, and the intenation set free of charge!!

My Accoustic did not show up until late Thursday night, so I did not take it to the lesson. I am absolutely blown away by the Orangewood Oliver accoustic; for $180 you get the guitar; gig bag; tuner; capo; strap; picks & pick holder; string winder etc.... with free shipping. From California to Alabama too 4-days!!

The guitar seems to be well built from a novice perspective. The weight is good, and too me, it feels more like a $500 - $700 guitar. I do not know my string makers, but the Oliver is strung with Ernie Ball strings, and supposedly they are nice strings. I just know the guitar sounds really warm.
Ernie Ball strings are pretty much the industry standard as far as I can tell. Lots of different sets of different gauges with creative names. The heavy strings on my C-tuned guitar are Ernie Ball "Beefy Slinky."

Back