X wing gone Goonie

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRod Lincoln

Reaction score
Yet another goonie. I am still messing with the paint a bit.
No, it's not meant to be studio scale model, it's a goonie.

It started as just a mock up, but then it got a motor mount, then some nose weight, then a canopy..... might as well make it flyable at this point.

Bt60 is 7.5long" (baby berha size).
I did not "X" the fins too much, I would rather it was safely stable.
"Motor" tubes are BT20 and BT5 scraps.
Canopy is paper hardened with CA.
My R2 is an old cork, sanded round. I know R2 looks more like a Dalek.... but it's a goonie remember.

I hope to test fly this week.

I feel a Goonie Viper may be next?:D

xgoonweb2.jpg

This is fantastic!!! Love it to death! My son's going to be very-very happy with this one.

Now we need a whole fleet of Star Wars goonies; Tie Fighter, Y/B-Wings, etc.

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!

That's pretty cool. No goonies in my fleet. Might need to change that some day.

Yeah! I was just waiting who would bring this one out first! :D

I have been playing around a bit in rocksim but have had absolutely no time to start building this one. But I will save any and all pictures you post and use those for inspiration!

That is just TOO cool!:cool:

What did you use for the cannons? I may have to build one..I think Goonies are like potatoe chips-you can't have just one! :p

OK, guys. Stop it. My build list is too long already, and adding Goonie ideas will just make it worse. . .

Nice touch with the R2 unit serving as the forward landing gear, BTW.

"I think Goonies are like potatoe chips-you can't have just one! "

Man is that ever the truth. I have several other ideas ratteling around in my head as well.
These are fun! Cartoonish, don't have to be lazer perfect or scale accurate, just plain fun. Also good small field fun.
Kids like them, I think that is the cartoon factor.

The x-wing needs some test flight time, then if I can find the time I will try to get plans drawn up for the X-wing and the Spitoon and make them easily acessible (PDF).

The cannons are just fancy toothpicks, I happen to have several thousand on hand....:D So expect to see them used in other rockets, and trains, and christmas decorations, and .....

That's Awesome! I'm with AKPilot... need a whole fleet! I'm so tempted to take the kids to Hobby Lobby when there's another 40% off coupon and stock up on Baby Bertha's (they're less than 5 bucks each with the coupon!!!). Xwing... Ywing (that might take more than 1 bertha kit)... TIE Goony maybe?

-Rick

I found in searching my 'archives' an X-Wing plan published by Centuri in their Fall-Winter 1977 Rocket times newsletter Design Contest. Sorry for the resizing, hope it comes through clear enough.

The Canopy pattern and tips for the wing-tip Laser Cannons may be a help in this project for all.

Have Fun!

Sorry, the Fin Patterns are at half-size!

fall-winter1977 R.jpg

Okay, whose going to be the first to compliment this fine X-Wing goony, that Hot Rod's done, with another Star Wars-type goony?

I may have a go at it. Anyone have a scan of the decals from any of the kit versions? I didn't see anything on Jimz or YORP. I'd be VERY slow at drawing them on the computer, but I suppose I could if it came down to it.

VERY NICE! I have a prototype for this floating around the basement somewhere.... Mine has wings that were more swept... I will try to attach my basic roc-sim file: I called it the G-Wing!

View attachment G Wing.rkt

Flew the X-wing goonie at Nemroc last Sunday.
I forgot my camera, hopefully some one has photos?
Two exellent flights. It was a breezy day so with all that fin surface it turns in to the wind a bit.
Flight one: C6-5, bit long on the delay for my taste, given the breezy conditions.
Flight two: C6-3. As perfect as I could expect.
For something I just wipped up this is a nice llittel rocket.
Next is to try some smaller motors for some low level demo flights..... may the force be with me!

Back