X-3 stiletto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I got the bug to rework my X-3 pusher jet into a cruciform style and rocket motor. Originally I had done the fuse as pure profile which worked fine for stiffening the stinger for the pusher motor, but now with rocket motor, I could put the motor more forward at the motor exhaust area and use a top view as well and save weight.

I also wanted to just use full flying tail instead of aileron/elevator to save one servo, and had to do a bit of creative stiffening of the tail using some carbon and basswood supports, and by running my pushrods inside carbon tubes to allow me to push them more forward. I was worried the stiffness of the tail would be an issue but turned out it flew perfect off the board. The CG was more forward than my fuse only version which only helps lateral stability which I had an issue on on the first flight of my profile only model.

Only needed one test flight. Since I had the tail mounted high I was worried that the roll would be off axis, but this didn't turn out to be a problem. I had my boost trim slightly off as it pitched toward the spine, but was easily corrected and trimmed out at the top. My glide trim was spot on and it was nice and easy. Pitch was very responsive and I over-flared to a "plop" down landing.

Here's the test flight I did before finishing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8WZjmZeoAw

Hope you enjoy it.

WP_001217.jpg

Nice as usual, Frank!

This would be a perfect candidate for upscaling and using that G12 RC load since it has short wings. With as light as we're building stuff nowadays, that's not a problem in terms of loading and decent performance. Besides, shouldn't a 'jetty' looking glider actually glide fast? :D

Still have to replace that 2" Depron/carded Bomarc I watched go bye-bye over the far off trees on a D5...:fly:

Back