Worn masonite pegboard needs help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The pegboard behind my workbench was installed by a previous owner of this house, who knows how many years ago. When I first saw it there, I was so excited just to have a pegboard for the first time that it didn't occur to me to evaluate whether it was actually *good* pegboard.

Well, the answer is "Not really". It's Masonite, and the 1/8" holes are quite worn. They're sloppy for 1/8" hooks, and too small for 1/4" hooks.

In the long run I'd like to replace the whole thing, but for various reasons that's not possible at the moment. So I'm looking for a way to sort of "shore up" the thing until I'm able to replace it. I've been surfing around Amazon to see what's available, and there are indeed some interesting possibilities (e.g., Pegitz Pegboard locks) but I'm not sure if any of them will actually what I need.

Anyone have any suggestions? For now I'd just like the hooks to hold more securely.

[T]he 1/8" holes are quite worn. They're sloppy for 1/8" hooks, and too small for 1/4" hooks.
Make 3/16" hooks? 😁

Sorry, I got nuthin'.

Or do I? Maybe take 1/8" hooks and build the ends with tape (or something better) until they fit the holes well. Might help.

The pegboard behind my workbench was installed by a previous owner of this house...
...In the long run I'd like to replace the whole thing, but for various reasons that's not possible at the moment...
Anyone have any suggestions? For now I'd just like the hooks to hold more securely.

I bet you don't use *all* the holes in the peg board. What about drilling out just the holes you *really* use, and replace later?

How about you mix up a cup full of (thick) epoxy, use a card or piece of plastic to spread it across the pegboard so that it at least partially fills the holes, and then redrill the holes to the right size?

And, if you want to go all out, preceed the thick epoxy with some penetrating epoxy to strengthen the masonite.

Honestly, I think that for a temporary fix, drilling select holes out (Igotnothing's suggestion) sounds best to me, and my own suggestion next. It depends, though, on just how long or short term this "temporary" will wind up being.

You could get another sheet of cheap crappy pegboard that isn't worn out yet, attach it to the front of the existing one with some machine screws or something (or more for more consistency with the spirit of this plan use duct tape or zipties) and then have 1/8 holes that are actually 1/8.

Once I get my pegboard set up I hot glue the pegs in. Hardly permanent, but they stay in the holes unless you pull stuff off like Homer Simpson would. Might be enough to hold pegs in place that are in sloppy holes.

Once I get my pegboard set up I hot glue the pegs in. Hardly permanent, but they stay in the holes unless you pull stuff off like Homer Simpson would. Might be enough to hold pegs in place that are in sloppy holes.
Interesting idea! Of course, that means I need to get it, um "set up". I frequently fiddle with the layout. :rolleyes:

You could get another sheet of cheap crappy pegboard that isn't worn out yet, attach it to the front of the existing one with some machine screws or something (or more for more consistency with the spirit of this plan use duct tape or zipties) and then have 1/8 holes that are actually 1/8.
Could be wrong but I don't think that the hooks would work in a double-thick pegboard. Anyway, once I have the opportunity to get a new piece of any kind of pegboard in, I'll just get decent stuff and do it right at that point. Frankly, even a new piece of masonite would be a huge improvement, but I'll look for something a bit more durable... and then need to decide between 1/8" and 1/4". I assume 1/4" is the smarter choice, although that means my various 1/8" hooks will be a little bit sloppy in there.

Back