World Air Force Supersonic Transport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know... I thought about that very thing.

But glue tabs simply add to the complexity. However you build them, they are still just glued to the cardboard? So, I eliminated them.
They just increase surface area for the glue/paper/wood bond. Can stiffen further with a thin CA soak. But your mindsim has gone beyond that.

Gluing With Titebond Q&T

I'm using Q&T for the final fillets.

001.JPG002.JPG

They just increase surface area for the glue/paper/wood bond. Can stiffen further with a thin CA soak. But your mindsim has gone beyond that.

Sure, I get that. The process I used gives me 90 degree coverage, using (4) individual passes of Gorilla Glue, and (2) passes of Titebond Quick & Thick. I think this should be guud enuff. :computer:

003.JPG

Last edited:
The same goes for surface mounted fins. But you apply fillets and it's good.
Like Galadriel in the Rings of Power: "You have not seen what I have seen." Younglings and Collegiate Aerospace Students seduced by the dark side power of motorized pods. Brutally rejected at the RSO table by qualified Level Two and Three Jedi Masters, they are sent to "That guy over there in the corner of the parking lot, he will help you."

As a very forgiving oddroc scum I have received many power podded abominations on my tail gate. From motors directly super glued (or even hot glued) to paper towel tubes, to fully simmed college projects severely lacking in build quality and utilizing poorly connected Estes starters for elaborate clustered boosters.

The horror. Pods ripped off, tubes scored and reglued. Field tabs or straps added. Launch lug reinforced fillets added, some with dowels stuck into them to make amusing Pew-Pew laser cannon add-ons. Anything to further bonding over larger surface areas. Thick super glue with quick-set spray; not a pleasant, time consuming, good technique, double bond wood glue process.

Younglings and Padawans, feel the force flow between the motor, the pod or fall away booster attachment, the rocket's thrust centerline, the nose weight. Learn the ways of the Jedi and open your eyes to a much broader world. If you are not grievously injured by your flight, we will watch your rocket building career with much interest. ;)

So looking forward to these power pods being loaded for Bear. Plugged red lables matched to awesome 29mm core power. Four big flames going fantasy supersonic.

Red Stripe / TWA

I taped of the stripe and made a mask for the TWA emblems. I got some overspray on the forward end... but I'll re-shoot that. The mask and the letters came out decent, they needs some touch up work.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe just some windows around the front portion? You can experiment with paper printouts just taped on temporarily.

Possibly also a red stripe up top.... or something vaguely in that vein.

Back