Window clings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KermieD

Reaction score
My Binder Sentinel is going to be finished in the scheme of our beloved Green Bay Packers (if you think cheese is our thing, you haven't been in the state during football season...just don't wear purple if you want to get back out in one piece). Anyway, the only "decals" of the proper size I could possibly find would probably be window clings. I'd love to get some decals custom made, but I'm afraid that nobody would want to do it due to licensing issues.

I was thinking of using 3M spray adhesive and covering immediately with clear coat to protect it. Does this sound reasonable, or am I dreaming and this will never work?

I've used window clings for rocket decals before. I purchased a kit from Best Buy that allowed you to create your own window clings using your PC and an Ink Jet printer. They turned out beautifully however, the material for the clings is very thick. I had problems getting them to stick on the edges on a curved surface. I tried using spray adhesive and then clear coating over top but they didn't turn out as nice as I had hoped. They're not a bad solution but, after a few dissappointing results and then meeting Jase, I've been sold on vinyl graphics from a sign shop.

Thanks, Jase. :D

Yeah, I figgured vinyl would be better, but I've been worried about finding someone who's willing to print a licensed product. I sent an email to harrass Jase ( :D ) and also have heard about someone else who may be willing to do such a thing.

In the meantime, what do you mean by troubles sticking to the edge of a curved surface? If I try this, are the corners gonna peel up on me?

I'm really concerned on this one, as it's the first rocket I'm building and finishing after seeing some of the efforts around here and having the time to do it right. I was in a bit of a hurry building the Black Brant X and didn't have time to do it right.

Yeah, you got it. The edges of the decal would peel up even after generous application of spray adhesive. The problem gets much worse the smaller the diameter of the rocket.

You wouldn't have a problem with licensing unless you were selling them. At least that is my thought on the subject.

The guy printing them is selling them to me, which creates a licensing issue for him.

Ah... but only if he is selling you the NFL logo. This person could just be selling you the supplies and printing service. If you take a picture of a Packer helmet to a print shop and ask them to make a copy for your school project (for example) I doubt there would be a problem.

Jase what would you do in this situation?

Kermie, the static cling idea would be tough to make work for long term. Static cling material is strictly designed to work for *very short* terms on flat surfaces (read: Glass). Even on glass, it will eventually start to curl up on the edges.

The logo part brings up an interesting point, one that has been brought up numerous times throught the franchise system that I work for even.

Technically, it does create copyright violations for us to reproduce these logos without written consent from the NFL and the particular team's ownership. Most of the time, it depends on what the ultimate goal of the design is.

For rocket decals, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the rocket maker isn't planning on kitting it and mass producing the rocket and decals, it would be fine.

Although, if an attorney for the Packers or the NFL show up at your launch and has a problem with it, you didn't get them from me! ;)

Also, some companies view reproducing their artwork differently. Most companies, as long as their logo is used in good taste (granted that is always questionable too), wont' worry about it since it's really free advertising for them. I know that Disney will go after anyone that reproduces any of their characters or logos without approval. Most sign shops if they know about that, will not do anything Disney.

So it really depends on the shop. I know of some that will not recreate any logos without written authorization from the company, but most of the time, that is unrealistic.

Clear as mud? :p

Jason

If you'll do 'em, I'll promise not to tell. If the rocket survives that long, I do plan on going up to a spring minicamp and seeing if I can get a couple of players to autograph the rocket with metallic markers, though. :D

Back