Wildman Fiberglass nose cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac2fv

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’m finishing up the paint on my Wildman Journey 75. All that’s left to do is clear coat, although I may outline the “squiggles” in paint before clear. On to my question. I’m not sure if the fiberglass nose cone gets clear coat, or it’s normal practice to leave it raw. This is the place to get the answer!13A7BC59-A823-4AC4-8DFC-F1F9BC580E23.jpeg

I always clear coat mine. Well, that is when I'm not painting a color coat on it, then it gets a clear coat!

Paint it red.

Attachments

• IMG_20230509_134300733_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20230509_134300733_HDR-01.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
It will take paint or clear coat. The light blue on the cone would look very nice. I would first spray first with white primer.

In all seriousness, I would paint it purple. That's a beautiful color.

I’m finishing up the paint on my Wildman Journey 75. All that’s left to do is clear coat, although I may outline the “squiggles” in paint before clear. On to my question. I’m not sure if the fiberglass nose cone gets clear coat, or it’s normal practice to leave it raw. This is the place to get the answer!View attachment 579686
Excellent paint job. Did you mask it yourself or use a template? TIA.

I was thinking the nose cone might look odd if its clear-coated and the airframe was not or vice versa.

I think your nose cone would look great if it were bright red or just continued that purple that's on the airframe.

Got a Journey 75 w/ no paint on it yet. So far the Journey 75 has had four flights - H100 White Lightning x2, H115 Dark Matter, and H283 Super Thunder.

https://www.youtube.com/@davesorochty/videos

Unless you're flying at Argonia... Paint the metal tip another color.
Respectfully, that's not accurate. Lets not derail this thread though....

"Aluminum Rockets at Argonia
Rockets launched at Argonia may not be constructed of all aluminum or any other metals. Aluminum fin cans or nose cones will be permitted only if required to ensure structural integrity of the rocket during a high-performance launch. Absolutely no aluminum airframes or fins attached directly to motor cases will be permitted under any circumstances. Please contact the KLOUDBusters prefect for further details."

https://www.kloudbusters.org/rules.aspx

Respectfully, that's not accurate. Lets not derail this thread though....

"Aluminum Rockets at Argonia
Rockets launched at Argonia may not be constructed of all aluminum or any other metals. Aluminum fin cans or nose cones will be permitted only if required to ensure structural integrity of the rocket during a high-performance launch. Absolutely no aluminum airframes or fins attached directly to motor cases will be permitted under any circumstances. Please contact the KLOUDBusters prefect for further details."

https://www.kloudbusters.org/rules.aspx
Fair enough. Must have been rephrased in recent years.

Back