Der Red Max Nose Cone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris in Idaho

Reaction score
My two boys had their first rocket launch last night with their shiny new DRMs. These are the standard 18mm motor version, not the DBRM. The night ended with one getting stuck 30ft up in a tree. I was able to rip it down with a fiberglass pole, but the nose cone stayed in the tree. So now I'm looking for a replacement with no luck.

Does anyone know where a replacement DRM nose cone would be available? I emailed estes and haven't heard back yet.

I see the three pack of BT60 nose cones but none of them looks like exactly the right one, which would be preferable.

Unfortunately the Red Max cones are not available separately unless Estes has a few spares on the shelf. The BT60 Nose cone pack has something that will fit and work just fine but it's a bit shorter than the original.

I'd keep trying with the pole to destroy what's left of the parachute and recover the original NC. Chutes are easier to replace.

That's a good idea. It was dark when we got the booster down by flashlight, maybe in the light I'd be able to spot the nose cone and snag it.

Man... I hate locust trees... Rocket snatching, or otherwise... They're a menace to bicyclists, blind people, and anyone who uses a sidewalk or path next to them. One of my goals in life is to get them formally listed in Oregon as invasive, and have them destroyed. The state used them for some reason adjacent to the multi-use path on an overpass on I-5 in Medford... and before it was even 5 years old, they were heaving the sidewalks, and overgrowing the path dangerously. If anyone gets hurt from them, I'd be a prime witness against the state if the victim's lawyers do any kind of reasonable due diligence investigation.

For anyone's future reference, Estes just responded to my email with an invoice to order the nose cone. $4 plus shipping.

I'll probably order it just to be prepared for the next tragedy.

Latest posts

Back