Why no shoulder on G12 Von Karman AL Nose Cone tips?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
I have a few kits with these and would rather see them with a shoulder to center them on the nose cone.
They go that far to make them... why not add a shoulder so they are perfectly aligned on the NC?
I'd pay the few dollars extra for it.

JD

Last edited:
My very non-expert guess is that the ID of the nosecone is not uniform and hence a shoulder on the tip wouldn't align it. I haven't inspected the latest generation of FG cones but that is true of the older ones.

Now waiting for the real answer...

I know--real pain! My Madcow Honest John filament wound NC has a deep shoulder and it's so nice.

BTW, as a workaround, most specifically on high performance flights, I have used thick 1" to 1-1/4" O.D. aluminum washers and attached them to the bottom of the tip with JB Weld to act as a shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

The tip I got on a 5" cone this year had a shoulder and the inside of the cone was shaped to hold the shoulder well.

I agree on how nice the shoulder would be on all the others without one. Mine do not line up as they wobble as they are screwed on and get knocked off center easily. I bent the bolt on some hard landings.

They keep getting better, so maybe soon they will all have a shoulder.

I know--real pain! My Madcow Honest John filament wound NC has a deep shoulder and it's so nice.

BTW, as a workaround, most specifically on high performance flights, I have used thick 1" to 1-1/4" O.D. aluminum washers and attached them to the bottom of the tip with JB Weld to act as a shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Great idea! Just need to spin down a 1" washer to fit the N/C on my 4" Darkstar Extreme.

Back