WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ANTI-DRAGRACE SENTIMENT???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most high power flyers in California would gladly trade CalFire in for the less intrusive NFPA 1127.

Steve Shannon

As a life-long Californian until three weeks ago, I wholeheartedly agree. Using consistent NFPA-based rules, even when imperfect, is better than each jurisdiction rolling their own and what this would mean for rocketeers.

As a life-long Californian until three weeks ago, I wholeheartedly agree. Using consistent NFPA-based rules, even when imperfect, is better than each jurisdiction rolling their own and what this would mean for rocketeers.

I don't believe each jurisdiction would bother to go out and write laws on this.... We could simply point to the FAA and call it a day. All we really need from that end I think.

That's why I'm asking if we can get rocketry out of the NFPA. Not just ignore it.

i don't think we need rocket laws, so I'm obviously against getting in with a company that writes codes to be sold as law and can't even freely get a copy of to comply with. Making you sign up online is not freely available.

But doing this just to put laws in place in hopes of blocking any desire by anyone to write more laws... is suspect and not working anyways.

Dave, you might think we do not need laws that have effects on us. While I wish this were true, I doubt the government would agree. So, we can interface with a group like the NFPA and have considerable influence in the rules that effect us, or we can let some government type dictate to us. I choose having at least some influence.

Ask the people in California how the CSFM having jurisdiction effects them. Impulse limits, various licenses, as I understand it research is likely pretty tough if allowed at all, and some pretty good fees to get motors approved by the CSFM. Why do you think the rocket folks there cannot fly Loki- the cost to Loki to have their motors CSFM approved is not small.

So, at least some influence or no influence. There will always be some governance in place- it is unfortunate reality of the age we live in- so get government out is not actually an option in my opinion.

were we involved in the NFPA when all the calfire rules were put in place?

im not angry, I know it comes off that way. I just see no logical reason to be involved in a pretty flawed process, when we could do better ourselves, and the protect the NFPA offer is, I believe, imagined. It's about as good as pulling the blankets over your head at night

Last edited:
Calfire decided to have their own rules NFPA does not apply then.

i understand that. But everyone seems to be saying we need NFPA to keep jurisdictions making their own rules like CA did. But if we were in NFPA and cali did it anyways.... I'm confused as to how it's an example of how the NFPA protects us

Yet another reason to hate the NFPA. A process that allows one person to affect that much is broken.

It wasn't that big of an effect. NFPA was going to put mass launch rules into place no matter what us users said. But I thought that the rules required too great a minimum distance (400') and also didn't scale with the number of rockets flown. Since the hazard was supposed to be because of the number of rockets this seemed to be a problem. So I proposed a change that scaled with the number of rockets using total impulse as a proxy. The committee discussed it, voted on it, and accepted it.

The rules now let you fly three H class rockets at 200' instead of the 400' that would have been required if I had kept my yap shut.

To be totally clear, in this case I absolutely agree with you. It's the NFPA and the process I dislike

Some may question the current value of working with the NFPA.

Fifty years ago, it was the NAR along with G. Harry, Vern, Lee and others working with the NFPA which moved model rocketry out of the 'fireworks' category and made the hobby more acceptable to governments and fire/safety authorities.

I believe the NFPA still has value for our hobby.

I just created the Tripoli Forum announcement thread at
https://www.tripoli.org/Forums/aft/418

I recommend that any Tripoli member who wants to track changes subscribe to the thread. I will not be making the same announcements here.

Steve Shannon

Because of the drive array crash at the beginning of the year the thread I created was lost. The old link above now points to the wrong thread. I apologize to all who subscribed previously.
I have created a new one. Please subscribe to it for any proposed changes to NFPA codes affecting rocketry:
https://www.tripoli.org/Forums/aft/450

Last edited:
Back