Who Can Identify This Rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen enough LPR launches to know, that there's just too much smoke at the aft end of the rocket before it goes off the page. Most of the smoke usually hangs at the launch pad. Here's my bottom line on the video. The rocket on the pad was prolly an authentic model rocket. Maybe the one descending is also, but the descent is faked. As for what that rocket is, time will tell. Could be some BAR's old rocket dug up for the commercial. Might be in one of the old Estes catalogs. The cleaner picture shows more than the black on the tips. There's actually some green it too. I'll go rummage through Ninfinger's and see if I can find anything.

Could it be an Estes Yankee Clipper?

Hard to say. The fins don't match. I went through a line of Centuri, Semroc and Estes catalogs, yadda yadda. A pretty good search on other avenues outside of these 3, and still nothing. I'm at a point, that nothing in this commercial, rocket related, has anything genuine about it. That rocket may not even be a kit.

Hard to say. The fins don't match. I went through a line of Centuri, Semroc and Estes catalogs, yadda yadda. A pretty good search on other avenues outside of these 3, and still nothing. I'm at a point, that nothing in this commercial, rocket related, has anything genuine about it. That rocket may not even be a kit.

Often Ad agencies have the Art department or similar just make up what they need and these people don't necessarily have the background or bother to do the research into the real deal...they basically build whatever the person tells them they need/want and it's done to suit the wishes of the client or their boss.

Often Ad agencies have the Art department or similar just make up what they need and these people don't necessarily have the background or bother to do the research into the real deal...they basically build whatever the person tells them they need/want and it's done to suit the wishes of the client or their boss.

I get that. I have seen, in the past, where rockets were used and they had a signature brand that was recognizable to the likes of us. Apparently, this one failed in our "field of legitimacy dept."

Last edited:
I get that. I have seen, in the past, where rockets were used and they had a signature brand that was recognizable to the likes of us. Apparently, this one failed in our "field of legitimacy dept."

It's worth a try and you never know...it may be a real rocket we haven't ID'd yet. One thing about rocketry...we quickly realize that we're usually not 100% right!

There's also the possibility that the motor mount came down on a streamer or tumble recovery separate from the rear ejection parachute recovery of the rest of the rocket. I did one like that myself some years ago. Mind you it was four inches in diameter and worked great. Flew wonderfully on three 29mm clusters. But I can see how it would work easy enough without any motor mount in the picture.

I saw this commercial the other day and thought, "Gee, a rocket on TV that doesn't get caught in a tree or break a window. That's nice. Maybe someone who used to fly rockets years ago will see this and get interested again. Thanks Mazda."

I guess I just don't have the critical mindset of the majority here. I thought it was a good thing.

If you were there you know that reality was painstakingly removed from The Science Channel's production of LDRS XXXI. I still watched it.

I said, many posts ago, those fins are on the pattern sheet contained in the old Estes Designer Special box of parts. How they ended up on that rocket someone here would have to contact the Mazda Ad Agency that made the commercial. I'm not curious enough ;)

Here are my thoughts.

1st: We are a bunch of rocket geeks who are literally tearing apart 2 seconds of a car ad to determine what kind of rocket it is or if it is faked. When you watch the ad in real time, the footage does its job. That is to say, it tells a story of a boy and his dad having fun with a rocket. And it does the job well.

2nd: When the rocket is launched, they say "Do not attempt". When the dad is driving with his eyes up toward the sky, and not on the road, they don't say anything.

Here are my thoughts.

1st: We are a bunch of rocket geeks who are literally tearing apart 2 seconds of a car ad to determine what kind of rocket it is or if it is faked. When you watch the ad in real time, the footage does its job. That is to say, it tells a story of a boy and his dad having fun with a rocket. And it does the job well.

2nd: When the rocket is launched, they say "Do not attempt". When the dad is driving with his eyes up toward the sky, and not on the road, they don't say anything.

1st: See below.

2nd: Actually the "Do Not Attempt" is posted when the rocket is launching. Take a closer look at the 2 seconds of rocket launching... :grin:

I doubt anyone will be able to ID the rocket. If they used a commercial kit, I imagine they'd have to get copyright permissions from the kit designer to distribute the footage for commercial purposes, so it's probably a scratch build.

Thought I found it with the Estes 2127 Sizzler.... but that's not it either.

2nd: Actually the "Do Not Attempt" is posted when the rocket is launching. Take a closer look at the 2 seconds of rocket launching... :grin:

Umm... isn't that exactly what CZ Brat said?

When I looked at this in slow motion it looked to me like after the rocket left the pad there was still a lot of venting coming from below, as if it were catapulted up off of a compressed air tube.

I agree that this is a scratch build for copyright permissions, etc. Furthermore, I'm about 100% sure it was sitting on some kind of air launch system AND had a motor or at least something to create smoke. I see the commercial all the time now and it's really clear that there is a vertical tube on the launch pad expelling gasses, no doubt. Also there is a smoke trail and a plume of smoke at the pad that is blown to the left, making me think there's a motor in there as well, or some kind of smoke-generating pyro device. Still very perplexing. I would really like to know why they did it this way.

I think the in air is the PML Cirrus Dart. Or some sort of scratch knockoff.

I think the in air is the PML Cirrus Dart. Or some sort of scratch knockoff.

I dunno, I feel like a production company/prop house wouldn't have PML stuff. I'm thinking Estes/Quest parts or totally scratched.

The whole air cannon thing still has me confused.

different pics
View attachment 269266View attachment 269267

a little clearer vid
[youtube]UJSUsio86Rc[/youtube]

no flame

IMHO, the rockets shown on the pad and during descent are not the same rocket....so there is a lot of artistic licence being used by the creators of the ad.

As far as the "Do Not Attempt" is concerned, we see that on literally dozens upon dozens of commercials for everything from laundry detergent to vehicles.

In the clearer picture, the rocket on the pad looks like an Estes Leviathan.

I saw another commercial just last night with another rocket launch. Since you guys like to identify rockets used in commercials, it was featured in K12 individualized education program helping children succeed. You can also play where's Waldo just trying to find this commercial in the midst of their multiple adds. This is a 2 quiz featured assignment if anybody wants to play.
1) Search
2) Identify

Last edited:
It wasn't that hard to find. VIDEO I did get a fair screen shot to look at, but not being a kit builder much, I'm not sure what this one is either.

K12 Rocket.jpg

It wasn't that hard to find. VIDEO I did get a fair screen shot to look at, but not being a kit builder much, I'm not sure what this one is either.

It looks like it might be a Estes Riptide from the Riptide RTF Launch set, the pad is definitely an Estes pad.

001403_feature.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. Looks like it got a custom paint job though. In the pics, the tube looks to be a BT 55 in the kids hand, and the trace around the fin I made, helps define the shape.

K12 Rocket 1.jpg

Attachments

• K12 Rocket.jpg
    K12 Rocket.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 11
Back