Where to buy one of those tiny black powder scoops? [more]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone point me to one of those one-gram-at-a-time plastic spoon/scoop things? They're so handy - and I haven't a clue where to get one. TIA...

Really? A measuring cup? Look, if it works for you thats great. I have never measured a charge....ever. Have I had recovery issues? Of course I have, we all have. The only troubles I have had was with premade charges,Robby's Rockets. I repeat, this is MY way, not necessarily the best way, but it works.

I've got a few of the 1.5g ones that you get with Loki loads. PM me your address and I'll send you a couple!

Braden

I just use the centrifuge cans that come in the AT loads as a volume measure. Most 3-4" get a full container, 5.5" (or 4" w/ shear pins get 1.5 containers).

Not sure that works for everyone. Test and find what works for your rockets.

I've got one but for the life of me I can't remember where I got it from.

That said, I find that using a centrifuge tube is a much better option. Most of the time, I need to measure out amounts like .75g, 1.5g, 1.3g, etc. so a 1 gram cup isn't accurate enough. Plus, the tubes (which are usually marked in fine enough increments) are clear so it's much easier to hone in on just the right amount.

They are readily available from a bunch of rocketry suppliers (and elsewhere of course). As mentioned earlier, many AT reloads come with the black powder ejection charge contained in one. They are a bit like Estes plugs in that they seem to accumulate in and around my range box, so I always seem to have one or two available - where any particular one originally came from is usually a mystery.

Of course, some folks (myself included) use them as actual ejection canisters as well.

In the end, I still use my scoop - but just as a "scoop" itself. I use it to pour BP into a centrifuge tube, which is what I use for actual measuring.

s6

I just use a 1/8tsp measuring scoop. I have read elsewhere and my marginally accurate scale appears to confirm that a heaping 1/8 tsp is just shy of a full gram. Close enough for me...

You're likely talking about powder measures, along the lines of these

-Kevin

I've used these for reloading for many years and I highly recommend them. The slide chart is nice for those who want to also experiment with different powder types.

I went looking for them at the not so local Sportsman's Warehouse a week or so ago and they had none.

Should have figured Larry "Thanks for your business" Potterfield would stock them.

Thanks for the reminder, Kev.

The first thought I had when this thread started was the powder scoop in my old Lee loader kit. Glad to see hey still make them!

I finally remembered! (if you are still interested)

Public Missiles has them for sale - part #CPR-1GM. Only $0.25

s6

Back